Perkins Rowe

richyb83

Hey brresident, thanks for your imput as always. :thumbsup: The Perkins/Bluebonnet area needs more "connectivity" to the major streets. Just think, after the completion of the Perkins/Picardy connector, people driving from I-10 going to Perkins Rowe will never have to drive Bluebonnet Blvd. As that area continues to grow rapidly; more streets will be needed. It's about time!

The Perkins/Picardy connector (though not very long) has many componets like the bridge over Dawson Creek; retaining walls for under the R.R. underpass. So completing this will take a little more time. The pdf aerial has probably changed near the Mall of La. area. The connector will hook into Picardy Ave.; not the other way around.

This connector blvd. will only enhance Perkins Rowe's chance to be a thriving urban village! And cookie-cutter subdivision Wimbeldon Estates even gets to make a connection. Wow SE BR is finally getting it!

>Now Picardy Ave. needs to get a "move-on" with the extension to Essen Lane! That will help traffic flow tremendously in BR's emerging medical corridor. Another connection from the OLOL area to the BR General at Bluebonnet, etc.

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Perkins Rowe plans evolve

Wells Fargo division drops out; large department store unlikely

By CHRIS GAUTREAU

Advocate business writer

Published: Aug 1, 2007 - Page: 1D

A spokesman for Wells Fargo said Tuesday that the company will try to sublease 60,000 square feet the company has under lease at the Perkins Rowe development in south Baton Rouge.

Kevin Waetke reconfirmed that the banking giant will not occupy the space after eliminating a mortgage-lending office set to move in there.

But

Big suprise?? Looking forward to seeing what unfolds! You are right brresident Perkins Rowe will change BR! Add to the expansion at the Mall of La. "The Boulevard"/ and The Grove; with the 4-star 348-room 12-story Renaissance between them is really impressive!!!

I have a feeling the surprise is a really fancy retailer or hotel. :D

I don't know but I don't think another retailer or hotel would be a "surprise." "...something completely different." I was guessing maybe some sort of entertainment component? Maybe something Moret was talking about a few weeks ago about a large entertainment venue looking at BR. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I also thougt it might be that too. We can rule out cinema for sure. A few thing that come to mind are a club, bowling, skating, museum; of course some of those things are probably not classy enough for Perkins Rowe and I don't know if a museum would get a lot of people excited.Hopefully sometype of entertainment venue new to the region. Or a maybe a neat little condo tower to replace the other ones. :D

I would prefer to a Dave & Buster's downtown, heck I would prefer to see Perkins Rowe downtown, like that development in Houston :lol:.

Edited by dan326

I also thougt it might be that too. We can rule out cinema for sure. A few thing that come to mind are a club, bowling, skating, museum; of course some of those things are probably not classy enough for Perkins Rowe and I don't know if a museum would get a lot of people excited.Hopefully sometype of entertainment venue new to the region. Or a maybe a neat little condo tower to replace the other ones. :D

I would prefer to a Dave & Buster's downtown, heck I would prefer to see Perkins Rowe downtown, like that development in Houston :lol: .

Yes Dan could you imagine having Perkins Rowe downtown or adjacent to it, that would be awesome. Talk about revitalization!!! Something smiliar to Perkins Rowe would work great for the Westmoreland Shopping Center and would work well on Nicholson Dr. between downtown and campus.

It's funny how they take an area nobody goes to (Bluebonnet before 1997 or any suburban location) and build something huge there(Mall of Louisiana/Perkins Rowe/a countless number of neighborhoods nd strip malls) when they could take another area not many people go to (downtown)and build something down there.

^ This is exactly what I was trying to post late last night when my computer?and/or UP Website? was fried and did not get thru :angry:

It would be interesting to see a Perkins Rowe-type development on the fringes of downtown near the Atrium/Miss. River Bridge/ between Nicholson & LSU.

As it stands now, the Bluebonnet/Siegen corridors is becoming an "edge city".

I hope something good finally happens for Westmoreland after a few failed attempts. Bring that type of development closer into the urban core!

^ This is exactly what I was trying to post late last night when my computer?and/or UP Website? was fried and did not get thru :angry:

It would be interesting to see a Perkins Rowe-type development on the fringes of downtown near the Atrium/Miss. River Bridge/ between Nicholson & LSU.

As it stands now, the Bluebonnet/Siegen corridors is becoming an "edge city".

I hope something good finally happens for Westmoreland after a few failed attempts. Bring that type of development closer into the urban core!

Totally agree. Essen, Bluebonnet, and Siegen are more city than what the actual city limits are. Especially for not even being in city limits to begin with. I think BR should have stuck to the core of the city instead of all this excessive sprawl. You sprawl once you have used up all the available land in the core. We did just the opposite. We sprawled and now we are having to fill in all the sprawl. But I have to say we are doing quite the good job of filling in. Not much unused land left.

Totally agree. Essen, Bluebonnet, and Siegen are more city than what the actual city limits are. Especially for not even being in city limits to begin with. I think BR should have stuck to the core of the city instead of all this excessive sprawl. You sprawl once you have used up all the available land in the core. We did just the opposite. We sprawled and now we are having to fill in all the sprawl. But I have to say we are doing quite the good job of filling in. Not much unused land left.

Well...that takes an active commitment by the local government. Basically, it's much cheaper to build on unused land than redevelop existing properties (greenfields vs. brownfields). Until government either passes on the costs of extending infrastructure to greenfields to developers, or makes it financially feasible to redevelop brownfields through tax incentives and protections, greenfields will always be where developers go first.

You are right, Baton Rouge is well-known for it's sprawl. But many do not realize the amount of large"infil" developments taking place closer to the core in those open spaces! The main three that come to mind:

*Towne Center-Corporate Blvd./Jefferson Hwy.(currently in Phase II)

*Arden TND (200 acres) Ardenwood/Lobdell/Greenwell Springs- proposed or approved??

*Rouzan TND (140 acres?) Perkins Rd. east of College Drive- starting within a year??

Three largest gaps left in BR.

+ numerous smaller "infil" developmnts (including area around BRCC and LSU)

I need to get an updated aerial an outline this!

You are exactly right Rardy, that's what has been happening. Now the city is talking about traffic impact fees for some new developments; interesting to see how it plays out!

Edited by richyb83

You are right, Baton Rouge is well-known for it's sprawl. But many do not realize the amount of large"infil" developments taking place closer to the core in those open spaces! The main three that come to mind:

*Towne Center-Corporate Blvd./Jefferson Hwy.(currently in Phase II)

*Arden TND (200 acres) Ardenwood/Lobdell/Greenwell Springs- proposed or approved??

*Rouzan TND (140 acres?) Perkins Rd. east of College Drive- starting within a year??

Three largest gaps left in BR.

+ numerous smaller "infil" developmnts (including area around BRCC and LSU)

I need to get an updated aerial an outline this!

You are exactly right Rardy, that's what has been happening. Now the city is talking about traffic impact fees for some new developments; interesting to see how it plays out!

Where exactly on Perkins is the Rouzan TND going to be? This is the first I have heard of it. Only empty property big enough for that is that land right before the Congress Ave. traffic light on the right, if you are heading towards Essen Ln. But I thought there were plans to put a library branch there.