Perkins Rowe

richyb83

Can't wait to see what this "world class" hotel might be?? The Hilton Garden Inn will be built on the left (yellow) side; don't know why it's shown so narrow on the end?? Last I heard it would be above 5 stories above street level retail including a dry cleaners.

By the looks of the newer site plan, the future Perkins/Picardy connector on the east-edge has caused a change of plans for the brownstones?? Moving them closer to the creek??

^Does Perkins Rowe really need two hotels with the planned 330+room Renaissance virtually next door??

A few more pics from the Rowe :shades:

The shops continue to open one by one.

32608008vd6.jpg

The Lofts above the Barnes & Noble are cool; there is also a swiming pool/deck too. Major intersection work(just off pic to right) Blebonnet Blvd. & Perkins Road; traffic with construction of widening Perkins is a nightmare.

32608006pt7.jpg

The condo's with the bay windows are sweet!

32608007zp5.jpg

Construction at Perkins Rowe town square

32608009dp9.jpg

32608008vd6.jpg

This picture doesn't even look like America except for the fact that everything is new and for those non-native palm trees.

Big sidewalks, narrow streets, and a bunch of little European cars parked all over the place (I guess that will be more common with today's gas prices).

All it needs now is the aged look.

Edited by cajun

The wife and I went to Perkins Rowe again this Sunday. We did the movie and dinner date thing and had a great time.

We hung out near the back entrance of Barnes and Noble and listened to the people as they passed by. Without exception everyone commented on how great this development is for Baton Rouge. It was really a lot of fun. This was our fifth visit to Perkins Rowe and every time we are very pleased with the development and the reaction we hear from people who are visiting for the first time.

This is such a great development for Baton Rouge.

Edited by Zackman

The wife and I went to Perkins Rowe again this Sunday. We did the movie and dinner date thing and had a great time.

We hung out near the back entrance of Barnes and Noble and listened to the people as they passed by. Without exception everyone commented on how great this development is for Baton Rouge. It was really a lot of fun. This was our fifth visit to Perkins Rowe and every time we are very pleased with the development and the reaction we hear from people who are visiting for the first time.

This is such a great development for Baton Rouge.

I love PR.. ... I can't wait until my family makes their way back to BR so I can take them there. I think they will love it. I really think this is one of the best developments that could have ever happened to BR. :shades:

• 3 weeks later...

And here is more proof of that...... :shades: Almost could have put this in the restaurant thread. Texas de Brazil will also be opening up this year with locations in Las Vegas & Chicago. Baton Rouge is movin' on up! Fish City Grill is Louisiana's first.

The 1st Phase of Perkins Rowe was almost $200million; and the total is $356million; meaning the 2nd Phase will be roughly $156million. Can't to see what that will look like??

Perkins Rowe adds on......Fish City Grill opens; Texas de Brazil, Camellia Grill set for summer

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/17934899.html

Among other developments at Perkins Rowe:

*About 90 percent of retail and office space in the first phase has been leased, Carlson said.

*Owners began moving into the first upper-floor condominiums in the past two weeks, with most of the 87 condos now sold.

*A third of the 300 apartments available in the first phase have been pre-leased, with movement into those units beginning in May.

*In July or August, another pair of restaurants will open in the first phase, Carlson said. California Pizza Kitchen and The Grill Room will share a building across the Town Square from Kona Grill and near the rear Barnes & Noble entrance.

*The second phase of construction will begin late this year. In it will be a ground floor of retail space facing Park Rowe Avenue beyond the Neuromedical Center, accompanied by additional office space, a hotel and more residential units.

In about two months, construction will begin on a blank parcel in front of the Neuromedical Center parking garage and across from the Camellia Grill location. The four-story complex will include another hotel on the upper floors, with two to three retail stores and another restaurant.

Carlson said a hotel brand affiliation has been secured for the front plot about to undergo construction, but JTS hasn

• 2 months later...

I'd like to see some curtains in those windows....looks like Empty Rowe in some of those buildings, but they might still be under construction.

I'd live there if I had an office job south Baton Rouge. The big problem is that Perkins Rowe needs a nice bar or pub.

Edited by cajun

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see a movie at Cinemark this past weekend, and I couldn't help but think that an ice cream shop is needed for Perkins Rowe. The space next to Fish City Grill would be nice, but I'm not sure if it's available. Baton Rouge's first Ben and Jerry's would be a great addition to the Rowe!

• 2 weeks later...

This still doesn't seem clear; I'm confused as to how many condo-units are there now?? More than the 87 mentioned for sure; I know Phase II is supposed to add alot more.

Condo closings moving along at Perkins Rowe

Closings for condominiums in Perkins Rowe have started, and more than 60% of the units should be sold by mid-August. Tommy Spinosa Jr. says there are contracts for more than 50 of the 87 units in Perkins Rowe. "Once closings started to happen, we started to see more activity," Spinosa says. "It was far brisker than any other pace we had seen." Perkins Rowe got caught in the national credit crunch and a number of liens were filed against the mixed-use development, but Spinosa says the financing has been worked out. "It never held us up, but it slowed things down," he says. "But we've got that done with." Spinosa says that more than 100 people put 5% down to buy units in Perkins Rowe. "If not for all the financial crisis and delays, we would have sold the building out already," he says. Despite the holdups, pricing at Perkins Rowe has increased over the past nine months, with condo units going for $318 a square foot. "We didn't find that we were losing buyers to other developments. We were losing them because they couldn't close," he says.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

I'm confused on this also... I know they have both apartments and condos for sale. It sounds like (from other sources) that the apartments above barnes and noble sold relatively quickly.

I also sounds like maybe only 80 condos are currently ready to be sold, but this is only a guess. :dontknow:

As another guess, I would think there are at least 200 - 300 condos in the first phase development with the numbers more than likely much higher.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still wondering about Phase II??

What's going on at Perkins Rowe?

There isn't a week that goes by without someone asking about the status of Perkins Rowe. According to developer Tommy Spinosa, 45 of the 87 completed condominiums have been sold and closed, and another 15 have pending contracts. Sale prices range from about $290 to $335 per square foot. The condos were scheduled to begin closing in Nov. 2007, but construction delays and other issued pushed the sale date to July. All of the sales have taken place since then.

Meanwhile, Spinosa says 98% of the 69 completed apartments have been leased. A second batch of 69 apartments is being completed and are 60% preleased.

No shortage of restuarants at the Rowe!

Four restaurants to open in Perkins Rowe by early 2009

The first Johnny Rockets restaurant in Louisiana will open in Perkins Rowe early next year, along with the first Baton Rouge location of Camellia Grill. Both of the restaurants will be in the Barnes & Noble building, says Clay Peterson, director of development for JTS. Johnny Rockets is a retro hamburger chain that features 1950s favorites such as malts and hot dogs. Camellia Grill is a longstanding New Orleans restaurant that's a landmark for college students.

The Texas de Brazil steakhouse is scheduled to open in the next few weeks, around the same time as The Grillroom. Both of those restaurants are located near the center of Perkins Rowe. Also, an 11,000-square-foot Orvis outdoor store will open before Thanksgiving.

Perkins Rowe will hold its grand opening Nov. 29, about a year after the first tenants opened in the mixed-use development.

• 1 month later...

Interesting move; I hope it works for them here in BR. Even a new Bass Pro, Cabela's or Dick's Sporting Goods can't stop them!

Orvis seeking outdoor niche

That The Orvis Co. opened its 43rd retail store less than a week before Thanksgiving in Baton Rouge comes as more coincidence than a calculated strategy to cash in on day-after-Thanksgiving sales.

The 10,000-square-foot outdoor fly fishing, hunting, apparel, furnishings and dog accessories store is the latest retail entry at the mixed-use Perkins Rowe development on Bluebonnet Boulevard at Perkins Road.

Will have to check out the Christmas Lights at the Rowe. The Christmas tree is taller than the one they will light downtown this Friday.

Perkins Rowe kicks off the holidays with bright lights

Baton Rouge's upscale retail center kicked off the holiday season Saturday with a sky-lighting celebration. It all started at 3:00 p.m. with strolling entertainment in front of the Cinemark Theater.

Santa hosted children's entertainment at Magnolia Park. Luther Kent and his 10-piece band performed live in front of Town Hall.

Later in the evening, the 50-foot Christmas tree was lit in Magnolia Park to the sounds of the Jefferson Baptist Bhurch Choir and a festive fireworks display.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=9432046

• 2 weeks later...

No shortage of restuarants at the Rowe!

Four restaurants to open in Perkins Rowe by early 2009

The first Johnny Rockets restaurant in Louisiana will open in Perkins Rowe early next year, along with the first Baton Rouge location of Camellia Grill. Both of the restaurants will be in the Barnes & Noble building, says Clay Peterson, director of development for JTS. Johnny Rockets is a retro hamburger chain that features 1950s favorites such as malts and hot dogs. Camellia Grill is a longstanding New Orleans restaurant that's a landmark for college students.

The Texas de Brazil steakhouse is scheduled to open in the next few weeks, around the same time as The Grillroom. Both of those restaurants are located near the center of Perkins Rowe. Also, an 11,000-square-foot Orvis outdoor store will open before Thanksgiving.

Perkins Rowe will hold its grand opening Nov. 29, about a year after the first tenants opened in the mixed-use development.

Oh man I'm jealous now. We were supposed to get a Johnny Rockets about 7 years ago... it was one of the first tenants announced for Louisiana Boardwalk. And then... nothing. Suddenly they were gone, saying they wanted to build elsewhere in our area, which they never did. Johnny Rockets, in my opinion, is much better than Fuddruckers. From the diner atmosphere to the food. The little jukeboxes on the tables.... yum! :) I ate at a Johnny Rockets in Houston and loved it. I decided to try it after I'd heard we were supposed to get one. One of my friends ate at one in San Francisco as well and he really loved it, and he's a definite diner-food connoisseur!

So Richy, are the plans still on track for this location? I see nothing about Louisiana on their website, but if they build it I will definitely eat there the next time I'm passing through Baton Rouge.

As far as I know the plans are the same; but I'm not 100% sure?? Thank's for the head's up, I'll be sure to check it out.

Some people were wondering why a Johnny Rocket's and a Camellia Grill would go in the same building?? That they are BOTH practically the same thing. Of course I had no idea bec. I had not heard to either one of them.

Edited by richyb83

As far as I know the plans are the same; but I'm not 100% sure?? Thank's for the head's up, I'll be sure to check it out.

Some people were wondering why a Johnny Rocket's and a Camellia Grill would go in the same building?? That they are BOTH practically the same thing. Of course I had no idea bec. I had not heard to either one of them.

Oh man Johnny Rockets is a cool experience, I hope it does happen. It's a stainless-steel diner, the waiters wear the old paper hats, they have a soda fountain, and every table has a little jukebox that runs on nickels! :)