Segways

Recchia

I have never seen a topic on here related to Segways, so I'm gonna start one. I'm wondering what peoples opinions are of them. Should they be banned from city sidewalks and bikeways?

I personally DESPISE them. Seriously, how lazy can this country get? We can't even walk anymore, we need personal motorized transportation to even get around dense urban environments. I think they should be banned from sidewalks and bikeways completely.

We have legs for a reason, why don't we want to use them? It's no wonder that this country is spiraling into obesity like none other.

I love this cartoon I found on Planetizen:

segwaycomic.gif

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has to be the most hyped invention of the 21st century so far. I agree with you that people should not be hauled around by these things. One does not realize how fat americans are getting until you travel to another country. In any case they are recalling all of them because of some software glitch where they will toss you onto your ass.

Would they even really be all that useful to law enforcement? A bike is faster, and running on foot (lets say 10mph), is almost as fast as the max speed of a segway (12.5 mph) and much more accessible. Then yet, with some cops I see today, I can see why some of them would want one of these.

I am continually mind boggled by how lazy this country is. I guess things like these should be expected in a country where we fight for the closest parking spot, drive in large shopping plazas to get from store to store, take elevators up two floors and avoid restaurants that don't have drive-thrus. It's sickening.

Would they even really be all that useful to law enforcement? A bike is faster, and running on foot (lets say 10mph), is almost as fast as the max speed of a segway (12.5 mph) and much more accessible. Then yet, with some cops I see today, I can see why some of them would want one of these.

Let's say there's a terrorist in an airport, that just got past security and made is way through the crowds. It's to the advantage of a cop to be on a segway because if he gets in a chase with the terrorist, then they can continously go 12.5 miles per hour, instead of 10 mph for a brief period.

Just my two cents.

Let's say there's a terrorist in an airport, that just got past security and made is way through the crowds. It's to the advantage of a cop to be on a segway because if he gets in a chase with the terrorist, then they can continously go 12.5 miles per hour, instead of 10 mph for a brief period.

Just my two cents.

Yeah and they'd catch the terrorist because s/he'd fall over laughing at the cops trying to balance themselves on segways! :rofl:

As much as the segway was a gimmick/fad (though never very popular), I agree with Recchia and monsoon about the problem with laziness in this country. It's amazing to me that the average American only takes 2,000-10,000 steps per day! That's between 0.9-4.75 miles. And I'd wager much of that walking takes place between the couch and the fridge.

• 4 weeks later...

Just my two cents.

imo, a cop should be able to run well, but if there was a terrorist running away from a cop in an airport, the the cop should probobly tazer the guy.

I am continually mind boggled by how lazy this country is. I guess things like these should be expected in a country where we fight for the closest parking spot, drive in large shopping plazas to get from store to store, take elevators up two floors and avoid restaurants that don't have drive-thrus. It's sickening.

Segways are a boon to law enforcement. The police at BWI airport have several. The benefits are many: while on patrol, the officer is elevated above most people, giving him a better view. If he needs to respond to an incident, he can arrive faster and not out of breath...remember airports are vast places...and better able to deal with the situation. And it gives the officer a higher profile, making him more visible and by extension more of a deterrent.

As an aside, I have ridden, and at one time sold, Segways. It is very easy to learn how to ride, and with a few hours' experience it almost becomes an extension of your body. Originally it was envisioned that the Segway would be a viable alternative to 4-wheel trannsportation in dense urban environments, such as NYC or DC...for example...folks could take it on the subway, then ride it to their final destination...taking cars off the streets, but a consumer market never really developed and probably never will. Around here (Baltimore, Annapolis, DC) they are being used by tour guides to conduct tours of those cities, and are also available to rent.

It is NOT intended for the handicapped...you must be able to easily stand and maintain balance while on it. And the argument that it makes people lazy is dubious...it was intended as a tool to allow one to cover more ground in less time without using a car. Riding a Segway requires more exertion than driving, but admittedly less than brisk walking.

• 2 weeks later...

Segways are a boon to law enforcement. The police at BWI airport have several. The benefits are many: while on patrol, the officer is elevated above most people, giving him a better view. If he needs to respond to an incident, he can arrive faster and not out of breath...remember airports are vast places...and better able to deal with the situation. And it gives the officer a higher profile, making him more visible and by extension more of a deterrent.

As an aside, I have ridden, and at one time sold, Segways. It is very easy to learn how to ride, and with a few hours' experience it almost becomes an extension of your body. Originally it was envisioned that the Segway would be a viable alternative to 4-wheel trannsportation in dense urban environments, such as NYC or DC...for example...folks could take it on the subway, then ride it to their final destination...taking cars off the streets, but a consumer market never really developed and probably never will. Around here (Baltimore, Annapolis, DC) they are being used by tour guides to conduct tours of those cities, and are also available to rent.

It is NOT intended for the handicapped...you must be able to easily stand and maintain balance while on it. And the argument that it makes people lazy is dubious...it was intended as a tool to allow one to cover more ground in less time without using a car. Riding a Segway requires more exertion than driving, but admittedly less than brisk walking.

Ironically it was the stairway problem that led to the technology that made the Segway possible. Steve Kamen, the inventor of the Segway, had previously developed an electric wheelchair that can climb stairs. The gyroscopes that prevent the wheelchair from falling over are used in the balancing mechanism of the Segway, which is not designed to climb stairs, but a careful rider could mount a low curb, especially using some of the newer all-terrian models that some police departments are using.

Ironically it was the stairway problem that led to the technology that made the Segway possible. Steve Kamen, the inventor of the Segway, had previously developed an electric wheelchair that can climb stairs. The gyroscopes that prevent the wheelchair from falling over are used in the balancing mechanism of the Segway, which is not designed to climb stairs, but a careful rider could mount a low curb, especially using some of the newer all-terrian models that some police departments are using.

• 3 weeks later...

I have created a more evolved version of the Segway, which I will unveil exclusively on Urban Planet.

It gets almost unlimited mileage without use of electricity or gasoline.

It has a top speed of around 40mph

It is affordable by almost anyone on the planet

It requires next to no maintenance, on average less than $30 a year.

It actually improves your physical, mental, and emotion health simply by using it.

It can operate on and off road.

Models weigh as little as 12 pounds.

I am thinking about calling it a "bicycle" So far I have received interest from China and the Netherlands. I am hoping that they really catch on. :whistling:

75fx_steel.jpg

The whole point of the segway is that it doesn't take up a larger footprint than a standing person would and it could be used as a transition from outdoors to indoors. Comparing it to a bike is foolish. I really don't have a problem with the segway because it will never be something that every consumer buys. It is useful in certain situations to certain people. To me, those "scooters" that obsese people use to get around is an even bigger problem. In every theme park across the nation I see these fat beotchs beeping and running people over as if they have a real disability. Maybe if they actually used their legs they wouldn't be so fat.

To me, those "scooters" that obsese people use to get around is an even bigger problem. In every theme park across the nation I see these fat beotchs beeping and running people over as if they have a real disability. Maybe if they actually used their legs they wouldn't be so fat.

Archived