Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

Terrific, Tommy. But you have a problem differentiating between Monument Avenue and West Franklin Street. Monument Avenue begins at and goes west from Lombardy Street. Your picture of old Stuart Circle Hospital is now called #1 Monument Avenue. Below Lombardy toward VCU, the road narrows and is called West Franklin Street. St. James and almost all of the following pictures are taken along Franklin. That is, until you go into The Fan's Hanover and Park Avenues.

I'll comment more later. But they are great. Thanks. :)

St. James Episcopal Church with the elegant spire is a beautiful sight driving down Monument Avenue toward downtown Richmond. The church on West Franklin Street suffered a terrible fire a decade or so ago and much of it, including the steeple, had to be rebuilt.

Further east on Franklin is one of, if not the oldest synagogues in the city. Beth Ahabah has a large congregation and I believe it contains a museum depicting Jewish life in Richmond.

Across from the synagogue is one of Richmond's old and stately mid rise apartment buildings called Gresham Court. Several other 3-story apartment houses also line this stretch of the Avenue, such as the Ambassador and the St. Francis. Tommy includes a picture of one of the city's most stylish and disguised parking garages next door to The St. Francis. Further east is the original "campus" of VCU which, when I was a student there, was known as Richmond Professional Institute, College of William and Mary. That was before its merger with Medical College of Virginia and the change of name to Virginia Commonwealth University. Almost all activities and classes at RPI were in the old mansions and town houses in the immediate area.

More later on Tommy's pictures of The Fan.

Edited by burt

I was baffled by that too when I got my pic too... I think it was probably for the trolley.. possibly? I know there's one on north Lombardy across from Maggie Walker. I used to be fascinated by the tracks before they paved over them.

I'm not sure where on West Cary Grubb's Auto Service is located, but if it is between Stafford and Robinson Streets it's most likely leftover trackage from the former trolley barns and repair shops a block or two away.

Also, buildings at Main and Vine now being converted to residential and commercial uses were at one time trolley barns. If Grubb's is in that area, perhaps this is a spur track from the streetcar line on Main.

I'm not sure where on West Cary Grubb's Auto Service is located, but if it is between Stafford and Robinson Streets it's most likely leftover trackage from the former trolley barns and repair shops a block or two away.

Also, buildings at Main and Vine now being converted to residential and commercial uses were at one time trolley barns. If Grubb's is in that area, perhaps this is a spur track from the streetcar line on Main.

Its very close on E. Cary to Adams.

If someone wants to go come to the roof of my apartment building, let me know via PM. There are some great views from up there.

You can track construction of the expanding VaMuseum, can't you, as well as look down on The Va. Historical Society and its new addition? Does the Historical Society still have two groves of Magnolia trees at the building's rear?

Take some pictures and share them with us, Shak.

You can track construction of the expanding VaMuseum, can't you, as well as look down on The Va. Historical Society and its new addition? Does the Historical Society still have two groves of Magnolia trees at the building's rear?

Take some pictures and share them with us, Shak.

The art museum expansion is in clear site.

...and yes, the two groves of magnolia trees are still there. Pretty stuff, especially during the Spring bloom.