Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

It's slow going, but if you enlarge Ronsmytheiii's picture #3 a lot more detail emerges. You can see the twin towers of the Jefferson Hotel; the minarets of The Landmark Theatre; Apartment highrises and VCU towers in Midtown around Monroe Park, and a much clearer image of The War Memorial Carillon in Byrd Park.

Edited by burt

This is the last set from 2009, just before Christmas with the snow on the ground. A lot of shots are from the car, you may see some of my roof in some pics.

This is a great set of pictures, Cam. Lots of them testify to downtown's density. There are quite a few views of the new Williams Mullen tower as well as Mead WestVaco.

Some of my favorites are #88, #94 (teriffic juxtapositioning of the Financial District and the Capitol Bbuilding) and #114 showing the Martin Agency in The Plaza of Shockoe Slip.

• 3 weeks later...

Swan's pictures are a treat.

I bet a quarter many Richmonders don't even know there is a classic Egyptian building in the city. Swan's shots of it are the best I've seen.

The Egyptian Building, designed by Thomas S. Stewart of Philadelphia, opened as the medical department of Hampton-Sydney in 1845. In 1854 the department became The Medical College of Virginia. It is located on East Marshall at College Street (if it were numbered it would be 13th) tucked away on the VCU Medical campus directly behind Monumental Church which fronts East Broad between 12th and College Streets.

Side note: Monumental Church, to which I referred above, is on the site of The Richmond Theatre which burned to the ground on December 26th, 1811. The Church, designed by architect Robert Mills, held its first service on May 4th, 1814. It commemorates the loss of 72 theatre patrons who perished in the flames.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

CommRE, I especially like Picture #4 of Movieland. It demonstrates how well industrial buildings can be renovated to other uses. I believe the building, which is just off a main line rail, was a locomotive factory when it was built.

I understand Movieland Cineplex is doing quite well.

The skyline photo is also exceptional. How old is it? I don't see the Williams Mullin building.

Thanks for sharing.

All the pictures in this thread are terrific, IMO. But because it takes so long to scroll down to the latest entry, maybe someone should start a new thread titled "Richmond in Pictures IV."

Ryan Ramsey, who IMO is Richmond's Number 1 urban photographer, has a wonderful new February set in his gallery. Almost all the pictures are of residential development of older commercial/industrial buildings in Shockoe Bottom -- both north and south of East Broad Street. Many are taken from atop the hill at Jefferson Park.

You may be surprised to see how nice the Cold Storage warehouses look as well as progress on the lot behind McDonald's at 17th/18th and East Marshall Streets. Also, the views of the Sisson Building (rear and front) on North 17th Street are very appeaaling.

Go to:

http://www.richmondcitywatch.com and click "galleries."

• 2 months later...

They are excellent photos of wildlife along the river. Eagels, as well as other rare birds, seem to have a fondness for Richmond on the James.

Thanks, CommRE. Beautiful photographs! Are these yours or were they taken by Mike at Discover the James?

I notice on his website that his boat tours depart (by prior arrangement) from Deep Bottom Boat Landing. Is that one of the marinas off of Osbourn Turnpike in Eastern Henrico?

Edited by burt

Thanks guys, I did take them, although Mike is a good photographer as well. The boat landing is around the Curles Neck area, just off Route 5. Actually Kingsland, which I think turns into Osborne.

I got some pictures of great blue herons and more ospreys as well, but the eagles are great to photograph. We went under the Varina Enon bridge, so I took some pictures of that from the river. I'll try to post those later.

• 4 weeks later...

If you've got plenty of time on your hands and wish to see pictures of places in Richmond you never knew existed, explore these photos by Bartholmy.

And it helps if you're fluent in German.:)

http://riverdistrict...kt-anderswo-55/

I found these on the River District News blog.

Richmond has a LOT of blue-colored buildings!

Edited by burt

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great photo thread from flickr by Light Orchard of Bon Air ( which means good air). Bon Air was started back in the late 19th century as a resort town 7 miles outside of downtown for Richmonders to escape the dirty air of the factories!

P.S. Bon Air is the area I grew up. Hence the favoratism! Good times! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightorchard/sets/72157616083401977/

Edited by calwinston

Thanks ronsmytheiii for your latest set of Richmond pictures. Like mikeas, my favorite is the one looking up East Main Street from Libby Hill.

:thumbsup:You've even included a nice view of Malvern Manor in the West End.

Edited by burt