Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

Ryan Ramsey has his April gallery of photos up at his Richmond City Watch site.

I was especially pleased by his set of pix #17 thru #25 of 1st and Merchants Bank (most recently BB&T) being renovated for apartments. The building is in the middle of the Financial District at 9th and Main Streets.

Also, some excellent shots showing progress on the Reynolds North property south of Byrd Street between 10th and 12th.

Plus, there are many more you will enjoy.

http://richmondcitywatch.com/

Thanks, Cam. That's a nice, if hazy, picture of the skyline.

I assume that's the Channel 6 CBS TV tower on Broad Street west of The Boulevard. It's 1,000 feet high, but looks even taller compared to downtown buildings about 2 miles east.

PS: I'm sorry for your troubles with posting, but am glad to know I'm not the only one getting frustrated about editing as well as previewing text before posting. :tough:

It's horrible. I already posted this twice, but it took me to the main forum again. Anyway I have a couple others. I got there near dusk usually. The moon is rising above the city in that one. Here are two others.

http://i28.photobuck...s3/100_6237.jpg

http://i28.photobuck...s3/100_6239.jpg

7/13/09

VDOT just posted a good series of photos of the Canal Walk and the I-95/I-195 Interchange to their Flickr page.

[media=]http://www.flickr.com/photos/vadot/sets/72157629984854408/

They also have albums for the Huguenot Bridge and other Virginia projects.

WOW! Thanks blake.

Among the views is the paved Capital Trail with period light poles.

Is there a way to enlarge the photos -- especially the aerials?

I'm not sure how I managed to embed a slideshow when I just wanted to share a link, but to view them larger:

1) Click the photo

2) Click "Open photo in a new window"

3) Click on the photo (in the new window)

4) At the top, click "View All Sizes"

5) Select the largest size

That was much more complicated than it should have been.

While I personally think these huge interchanges (like the 95/195 pictured above) are interesting to look at, I've always thought it a bit sad and unfortunate that such a monstosity was allowed to carve through the city. The fact that I-95 physically isolates so many of the northern neighborhoods from downtown is tragic.

As I've stated many times, I think it would be really cool if one day the Downtown Expressway (and perhaps 95 as it passes behind Carver and Jackson Ward was capped and covered.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Aerial Photos of the The Collegiate Apartments (Chamerlayne and Bacon):

http://www.thecolleg...splay/AlbumId/7

and some ground level construction photos:

http://www.thecolleg...splay/AlbumId/2

blake, I realize this is primarily student housing but looking at it from an old man's perspective I wonder if it has elevators? I don't see any in the Virtual Tour and wonder about handicapped folks (or elderly) who couldn't handle a four-story walkup.

It's a neat looking facility and is quite a visual treat driving on Chamberlayne Avenue. I'd say it's about equi-distant to VCU and VUU and I note they provide shuttle service.

Not the best picture as it was shot with a cell phone from a moving vehicle but here's a shot of the new VCU/MCV School of Medicine.

29sqh4.jpg

Excellent photo, 540-804. The new buiding gives 12th Street between Broad and Marshall a very urbane look.

In fact the compact VCU Medical campus with lots of pedestrian traffic on the streets is a city within a city.

Excellent photo, 540-804. The new buiding gives 12th Street between Broad and Marshall a very urbane look.

In fact the compact VCU Medical campus with lots of pedestrian traffic on the streets is a city within a city.

The new School of Medicine turned out better than I expected, to be honest. My two wishes are that it were a little more glassy on the Marshall street side and that it were perhaps a few floors taller to allow it to stand out above it's surroundings a bit.

It is a beautiful structure that turned out really nicely! I can't wait for it's opening next year. VCU has done a lot to change the surrounding areas in Richmond, and has a wide variety of nice, modern buildings. This, along with the future ICA, are prime examples of that. :thumbsup:

I agree. If I have time tomorrow I will snap pictures around VCU including the nearly completed addition to the Broad and Belvidere dorm and the nearly completed dorm at the corner of Shafer and Grace.

Also, it appears VCU is renovating the West Grace Street Student Housing (the Honors dorms at 701 W. Grace St). I can't find any plans for what they're going to do but they have ripped up the sidewalk and are reconfiguring the front entrance/driveway. It also appears they are somehow altering part of the facade, though it's too early to tell what exactly is going on. For reference the West Grace Street Student Housing that I speak of is the grey cross-shaped building at the South East corner of Laurel and Grace that was formerly some type of medical facility.

The new dorm at Shafer + Grace is officially "West Grace Street South" or ASPiRE (Academic Scholars Program in Real Environments). I would presume that the new dorm starting construction opposite of that will be West Grace Street North.

Additionally, the new classroom space on Floyd Ave , next to the library is topped out and appears to be in a coat of fire-proofing/insulation and ready to receive it's final exterior treatment.

Edited by 540_804

• 3 weeks later...

John Murden of Fan of the Fan and Church Hill Peoples News provides this film made by people associated with Vintage Richmond.

In addition to being enthusiastic about RVA, they are obviously train buffs as well. There are even views of a passenger train traversing the trestle along Tobacco Row approaching Main Street Station. :good:

From today's chpn (click on full screen for best viewing):

http://chpn.net/news...nd-today_23731/

Phil Riggan at Richmond dot com is seeking comments (and pix, if available) of Richmond's skyline.

There is a site on the Northside from which one can see the skyline from an unusual perspective.

Next time you are driving south on Chamberlayne Avenue (US1 & 301) prepare for an exciting skyline view after you have passed Lombardy Street. The art deco CNB tower is in the foreground and a cluster of buildings rises behind and around it. The odd thing is that they all look taller than they are -- at least to my eye.

Probably a good viewing point would be the rooftop of the newly completed student apartments on Chamberlayne.

Cadeho (a/k/a Cam) has some shots of the view among his stash of 40,000 Richmond pictures. :)

From today's Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond...ine-ar-2122976/

Ryan Ramsey has his August 2012 pictures up in his gallery at Richmond City Watch and they are very exciting to see (click to enlarge, then hit "next" to see them in sequence.)

You won't know what every photo represents because they are not captioned, but they cover the new city jail; new apartments in Shockoe Bottom; the building going up in Biotech park; apartments in Manchester, and The Locks apartment project on the Reynolds North property (don't be alarmed when you see picture #73. The tower has not been removed on The Italianate Building -- It's just the way Ryan has cropped the shot.)

Other area are covered as well.

http://richmondcityw...dules/gallery3/

Edited by burt

Relative to Ryan Ramsey's Richmond City Watch pictures (the above post), the city's overhead wiring and the conditions of streets are deplorable, IMO. But it's not likely anything can be done about either.

Does anyone have any idea where the residential complex in pictures #15, #16 and #17 is located? Could it be the building on North 19th between Franklin and Grace Streets?

Edited by burt