Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

Here's a neat collection of photos in today's Richmond dot com. They were taken by Phil Riggan from atop NEW City Hall.

http://www2.richmond...all-ar-2338450/

Be sure to click on the link at bottom of the story to see the height of buildings in Richmond according to Wckipedia. You'll note there are some interesting measurements. For instance City Hall, the fifth tallest at 315 feet has only 19 floors, whereas CNB, the art deco tower on Broad Street is the 13th tallest at 282 feet, but has 22 stories.

NOTE: Click photos to enlarge and get a clearer view.

PS: Building heights on the Wikipedia list range from 200 to 449 feet. It's not on the list but I bet a quarter the John Marshall Residences at 15 stories is at least 200 feet high.

Edited by burt

• 4 weeks later...

This RVANews Picture of The Day is pretty spectacular.

It's a fully illuminated Main Street Station which abuts I-95 slicing through Richmond's downtown and is the most recognizable building in the city.

Soon, the huge train shed behind the building (not shown) will be enclosed in glass and illuminated. At present, only 4 trains a day use the facility, but, eventually, it will be the Central Virginia hub of the Southeast High Speed Rail system with 32 trains calling there daily.

Photo by Bill Dickinson in today's RVANews:

http://rvanews.com/features/main-street-station-i95/76488

• 1 month later...

Here's another of Sean DeWitt's excellent downtown photos.

Dead ahead in the distant center is The First National Apartment Building.  You may remember it as BB&T at southwest corner of 9th and Main Streets.  Some residents have already moved into the luxury building and you can see their windows alit while crossing north on the Manchester Bridge.

The ring of light around the top of MeadWestvaco (squatty building left of center on the riverfront) is harsh.  A blu-ish hue would be preferable, IMO. 

From today's Picture of The Day at RVANews:

http://rvanews.com/features/downtown-rva-2/80198#comment-49020

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have any photos yet of all the tower cranes going up downtown?  It would be awesome to see all the cranes in one photo, but I know that will be difficult to do because there's at least one on the hill behind MCV (the Biotech Park) and at least one to the west in the VCU area, one will be going up at the Gateway Plaza...is there one up yet for the Marriott hotels/First Freedom Center?  How many will that be....5?  Wow!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

RCW is back up (after what seemed like a perpetual "Account Suspension") with a new homepage look* (and a new set of pics for December):

http://richmondcitywatch.com/

*Only the homepage has that new orange/gray/white stripes/boxes look, once you click on the "RCW Gallery" tab, it's essentially back to the old design.

Edit: I needn't explain anything, Ryan has pretty covered the whole redesign thing in this blog post:

http://richmondcitywatch.com/?p=8

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 1

Great picture from today's RTD:

1231_POD_Main_St-777x1024.jpg

This February 1946 image shows traffic along Main Street downtown. That month, a New York consultant selected by the Richmond Chamber of Commerce made a series of recommendations to improve local transit, including prohibiting parking along Main Street at busy times. As shown here, when cars were parked along the curb, drivers had to putter behind the glut of streetcars because there was no room to pass.

I can't believe Richmond ever got rid of it's streetcars!

Great picture from today's RTD:

1231_POD_Main_St-777x1024.jpg

I can't believe Richmond ever got rid of it's streetcars!

This makes me sick. There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't have at least one historic streetcar line, even if just for the sake of tourism, running through the slip.

GRTC's BRT study for Broad Street is a joke compared to what this city had and did with it's street rail infrastructure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...