Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

On 3/23/2016 at 6:22 PM, eandslee said:

Did you just move here from Charlotte?  Welcome and glad you are liking Richmond!

Well I actually moved here from Norfolk, but I am originally from Charlotte.  Interestingly enough,  I used to pass by Richmond all the time on my transit between college and home.  I remember thinking during those years, as I was passing the Dow Chemical and Phillip Morris plants, that Richmond was nothing more than an industrial wasteland.  Then one day in 2013, I decided to actually visit Richmond.  I immediately fell in love with the city, and in 2014 when a job opened up in Richmond, I jumped on it.

I think my favorite thing about Richmond is not just what it is today-although it certainly is a magnificent place-but what it has the potential to be in the future.  I think all this city needs to become the best city of its size in the US is a good region-wide BRT/commuter rail system, more access to intercity rail and HSR, downtown retail, some better sports options, and VCU to move into the top tier of national universities.  If these things happen over, say, the next 20 years, there is no measure to how great Richmond can become.  She already has all the bones of a great city-important institutions  (Federal Reserve, US Circuit Court, State Government), a well-established arts scene, great food/drink scene, wonderful architecture, beautiful green spaces, thriving neighborhoods, etc.

I always thought that the only place I could ever settle down, [re]establish roots, and be happy would be Charlotte, but Richmond challenges that notion everyday.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Well I actually moved here from Norfolk, but I am originally from Charlotte.  Interestingly enough,  I used to pass by Richmond all the time on my transit between college and home.  I remember thinking during those years, as I was passing the Dow Chemical and Phillip Morris plants, that Richmond was nothing more than an industrial wasteland.  Then one day in 2013, I decided to actually visit Richmond.  I immediately fell in love with the city, and in 2014 when a job opened up in Richmond, I jumped on it.

I think my favorite thing about Richmond is not just what it is today-although it certainly is a magnificent place-but what it has the potential to be in the future.  I think all this city needs to become the best city of its size in the US is a good region-wide BRT/commuter rail system, more access to intercity rail and HSR, downtown retail, some better sports options, and VCU to move into the top tier of national universities.  If these things happen over, say, the next 20 years, there is no measure to how great Richmond can become.  She already has all the bones of a great city-important institutions  (Federal Reserve, US Circuit Court, State Government), a well-established arts scene, great food/drink scene, wonderful architecture, beautiful green spaces, thriving neighborhoods, etc.

I always thought that the only place I could ever settle down, [re]establish roots, and be happy would be Charlotte, but Richmond challenges that notion everyday.

I never thought I would return to RVA, but I couldn't be any happier.  I lived in Charlotte, too.  

Glad you are enjoying our town.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Welcome to the Richmond family. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, hikendesign said:

Seems that this is an advertisment to sell the building, am I seeing this correctly?  Says to lease space, so not selling, my bad.  Thought it was bad news like they were leaving...just leasing the top two floors.  Too bad Westrock can't fill their own building.  Was it full and since the merger they've moved some staff?

Yeah, they've moved their executive staff to Georgia since the merger and have consolidated a bit. They say a significant level of staff will remain in Richmond and I tend to believe that since they have so much around the state in terms of plants, distribution centers ect.. 

Here's an RTD article from march about it, http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_dcb22d26-6aea-5892-90a9-1c92d8a99b3e.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These are great photos taken from a perspective I've never seen before. Thanks for posting!

On a side note, I really can't believe that work has not started on the new Dominion tower. I thought I'd see the old Richmond Plaza halfway torn down by now. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, georgeglass said:

Took this from the roof of The Graduate during Richmond Brunch Weekend. It was supposed to be on the roof, but was moved inside. Still, we got to check the roof out a few minutes. It should be ready to be open every day in late April. I see this being just as popular as Quirk and Kabana, but the space seems a bit smaller and will be more of a restaurant than Quirk.

IMG_20180325_121602.jpg

Kabana is closed! Hope they do better than them. Need to check out that space though view looks great.

12 minutes ago, tparkerzut said:

Kabana is closed! Hope they do better than them. Need to check out that space though view looks great.

Wow! Had no idea Kabana closed. When we were at Graduate, the manager said they were only expecting to be at 80 percent occupancy, but had walkins that pushed it to 100 percent...and that was without any major events. I know the Irish Festival and Kevin Hart were in town, but I don't think that was a driving factor.

So I was curious and looked at Kabana's website and they are reopening April 5th

7 hours ago, georgeglass said:

Wow! Had no idea Kabana closed. When we were at Graduate, the manager said they were only expecting to be at 80 percent occupancy, but had walkins that pushed it to 100 percent...and that was without any major events. I know the Irish Festival and Kevin Hart were in town, but I don't think that was a driving factor.

So I was curious and looked at Kabana's website and they are reopening April 5th

Oh good! Maybe I had the wrong impression about it being permanent. I actually haven't even been, not quite my scene. However I do love good views.