Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Great photo from a different perspective (courtesy of u/M4000h from Reddit):

Saw this on reddit as well and yes,  nice perspective. That car tower is ridiculous, need to get out more, soon! Also, can't wait for the increase in passenger rail traffic,  want this to be easy,  affordable and used. 

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, eandslee said:

A great photo of the Opus project that is moving on up!  Courtesy of u/rdt69420 on Reddit.

hw47w057w3p71.jpg

Wow - it's looking really good! Thanks for posting it!

Now - let's get some of those other 11-12 story buildings that have been announced underway. Time to start turning shovelfuls of dirt and building!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

This picture appeared in the Times-Dispatch (richmond.com) on Monday, 9/20. It's amazing to see just how big the Children's Hospital is now - and just how big (and tall!) the new G.A. building is.

6148c286ceaa2.image.jpg

True, but I’ve got to say how much I really do not like the top of the Children’s Hospital.  That box on the roof looks dumb and out of place.  Wish they could have hidden it better and incorporated into the design of the building instead of just plopping it in the roof.  Seems like an after-thought. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

True, but I’ve got to say how much I really do not like the top of the Children’s Hospital.  That box on the roof looks dumb and out of place.  Wish they could have hidden it better and incorporated into the design of the building instead of just plopping it in the roof.  Seems like an after-thought. 

Unfortunately, the design may have been necessary to allow safe helicopter approach.  The structure likely contains the elevator for airlift patients.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Some perspective on just how much RVA is changing - and a thought as to one of the catalysts: I was watching a video on YouTube recently advocating cities/states/municipalities should invest pre-emptively in public/mass transit rather than waiting for population to reach a sufficient level to "justify" building a transit system (the whole chicken-and-egg ridership debate). Among the points the video was making is that historically it wasn't population that strictly drove expansion of mass transit - rather, it was the expansion of mass transit that drove population and development of sections of cities, old inner suburbs, etc., particularly in the era of the old streetcars.

The old adage of "If we build it they will come" more or less has been proven historically to be correct. The video used Detroit as an example. During the first half of the 20th century when the industrial boom and the burgeoning auto industry took off, entire sections of Detroit were developed as the city was extending its streetcar and transit system - not the other way around.

Interestingly - we can see a live-action lab of this right here in RVA - based on a few time-based photos courtesy of our good friends at Google Maps -- taken from about a half a block east of where now stands the Summit on W. Broad Street in Scott's Addition. Check out the change... from 2014, 2018-19 and July 2021. We built the PULSE line ... and look what followed.

It's pretty cool to see this in action.  Four photos - the second two are in the next post (this platform doesn't like me when it comes to posting photos and trying to do so in a specific order)

W Broad 2014.png

W Broad 2018a.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 1

More from the "Look how Richmond is Changing" files... 

I was skimming the construction site webcams in Scott's Addition this afternoon - and it's pretty remarkable how in a matter of (depending on the project) anywhere from less than a year to a year and a half - the change is so stunning that these specific blocks almost look like the photos are from two completely different cities.

Here are a couple of examples:

Let's start with Scott's Collection I -- 3000-3008 W. Clay Street.

Screenshot (379).png

Screenshot (380).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1