Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

Fantastic photo, Ice. GSAA did a great job with this!

It's certainly not my dad's Scott's Addition anymore. Wow!

Just imagine when the plethora of other projects in the pipeline start rising here, how much beefier and more urban this neighborhood will be. I hope GSAA will take this exact photo five years from now (heck, two or three years even!)

Now I wonder what has to happen to snag a few more 12-story buildings like The Icon in this part of town?

Wait - is only the perimeter of SA zoned TOD-1? If so, has there been any impetus to upzone the entirety of SA under TOD-1 regs so that the interior locations could get taller buildings without having to go through the SUP process?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, eandslee said:

Video of RVA Illuminates this evening.  Good to see lots of people out tonight, but dang that gapping hole that was created by the lack of the 2nd Dominion Tower!  Hope it gets filled by something tall soon!

Kudos to the organizers of this event - and extra kudos to Channel 8 for doing the coverage right. This makes RVA at least LOOK and FEEL like a big city!

I agree, @eandsleethat gaping hole where once stood OJRP is glaring - like a missing tooth in an otherwise really attractive smile. Let's hope that we'll see one of RVA's (or even the state's!!) tallest buildings rise there in the near future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

Not to fear @ronsmytheiii, hopefully the state can get some new infrastructure funds to help bring back all train service at staples mill road back to Main street, although who knows whether youngkin will be open to it. 

The locations of @ronsmytheiii photos are for this project.

https://www.lumpkinsjail.org/your-vision

Edited by Hike

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Wow...ran into this vintage photo of Richmond and thought I'd share:

https://images.app.goo.gl/3CZbZKhQfevFSd2i6

This had to be late '40s or early '50s. The phone company building expansion was under construction. Interesting that the "City Center" block was then as it is now - a parking lot. I remember when the May Company building was on that site. Notice that Thalhimers had not fully expanded yet along Broad and what became the iconic grey aluminum skin that covered six full floors was not present yet. I believe that expansion & re-clading of Thalhimers happened in the late '50s.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 1

In recent pictures, either from the RTD or RBS about the SBC building on Franklin, there's a shot (guessing taken with a drone?) looking westward up Franklin - and two very interesting things jump out:

1.) The Opus is visible in the picture (not sure when this picture was taken specifically)

2.) There is a shadowy building sticking up above the horizon and kinda lurking over the shoulder of the Opus in the background to the right of the building. Is that the Icon in Scott's Addition? I know all the streets (Broad, Marshall, etc.,) angle somewhat sharply to the northwest just past Arthur Ashe Boulevard - but the placement of this building seems a bit too far north to the the Icon on Marshall Street (at least to my eye) - but then again, it kinnnnnnnnnnd of looks like the way the Icon -- with its unique crowns on all four sides -- might look at an angle.

Does anyone know what that building is - or can anyone confirm that it is, in fact, the Icon? 

ALSO...

We can also see in this shot where the Pinecrest Tower will soon be rising, behind the Lexington (from this angle, to the right of the Lexington)  [picture 2]

SBC-FranklinSt2.jpg

SBC-FranklinSt1a.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

In recent pictures, either from the RTD or RBS about the SBC building on Franklin, there's a shot (guessing taken with a drone?) looking westward up Franklin - and two very interesting things jump out:

1.) The Opus is visible in the picture (not sure when this picture was taken specifically)

2.) There is a shadowy building sticking up above the horizon and kinda lurking over the shoulder of the Opus in the background to the right of the building. Is that the Icon in Scott's Addition? I know all the streets (Broad, Marshall, etc.,) angle somewhat sharply to the northwest just past Arthur Ashe Boulevard - but the placement of this building seems a bit too far north to the the Icon on Marshall Street (at least to my eye) - but then again, it kinnnnnnnnnnd of looks like the way the Icon -- with its unique crowns on all four sides -- might look at an angle.

Does anyone know what that building is - or can anyone confirm that it is, in fact, the Icon? 

ALSO...

We can also see in this shot where the Pinecrest Tower will soon be rising, behind the Lexington (from this angle, to the right of the Lexington)  [picture 2]

SBC-FranklinSt2.jpg

SBC-FranklinSt1a.jpg

That is just the HVAC unit on top of the Berkshire (or Lexington  as you referred to it).

3 hours ago, Icetera said:

That is just the HVAC unit on top of the Berkshire (or Lexington  as you referred to it).

Oh okay! It LOOKS almost like it's lurking on the horizon -- off behing the Opus. I couldn't figure that one out to save my live.

"Berkshire" - ARGGHHH!!  I've called that freakin' building "the Lexington" MY WHOLE LIFE, AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!!!   :tw_joy:  I've NEVER gotten it right for whatever reason - even through I know better - but obviously don't. 

Thanks for the correct on that one. :tw_thumbsup: Next time I'm in town (post-pandemic - whenever THAT will be) -- beers are on me!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ronsmytheiii said:

Sunset over Manchester 

831982BE-689B-478F-AAAA-E9DCA63215F0.jpeg

Beautiful picture! Thanks for taking and posting.

Wow - I can't wait for South Falls II to get underway. Curious to know: has their POD change application been approved? Having another 14-story apartment building on the Manchester riverfront will give a significant boost to the burgeoning Manchester skyline. Here's hoping whoever buys the site of Rivers Edge II will stay the course, given the approved permits, and actually build the two 11-story residential buildings. Height, bulk and density in Manchester is a good thing.

• Like 3

From our friends on the RVA Reddit.

From this angle - try to envision how this nighttime, holiday picture will look by 2023-24 with the new CoStar complex/tower dominating the skyline and prominent on the riverfront. I'm drooling and licking my chops already - I must confess!

s48o7lwdxk781.jpg

costarrendering2-scaled (1).jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3