Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

If there is ever a vidcap that gives us a chance to envision the future, it's this one. We ALL know what dominant feature is to come. The CoStar headquarters will totally change our skyline much the way the new Dominion tower did. Seeing them together will be epic.

But there's much more than just CoStar. Locks 7 (and 8) will be visible in future photos from this vantage point. Off in the distance at the far left of the picture, we'll see the Pinecrest rise.  And if Dominion ever develops or -- better yet, sells!!!! -- "the hole" on Canal Street next to their headquarters tower -- and if another deep-pocketed company (or even just a spec developer) put up an epic tower on the site, we might see at least a portion of it from this view. A small amount of Block D would be visible, rising in the distance, behind Children's Hospital. Even factoring out CoStar, this vantage will NOT remain static over the next 5 to 10 years.

VC6.jpg

• Like 4

Finally, this is one of my favorite vantage points shown in the film. I LOVE the concentration, the density and the forest of taller buildings that span decades of downtown development. Notice how prominent the new General Assembly building is.

We can see SO much future potential in this picture as well. The "City Center" project -- originally proposed as a stand-alone project -- has (very much like the Block D development has) been carried forward through the defunct Navy Hill proposal to the city's current City Center SAP. If ultimately built, it would rise in the block immediately east of the Hotel John Marshall along Grace Street between 6th and 7th.

Another block that became part of the NH plan and features prominently in the current CCSAP is "Block P" -- the site of the old Thalhimer's department store -- calling for a large high-rise apartment/mixed use building to rise on Broad Street between 6th and 7th. If as part of the CCSAP the city courts are relocated and the current John Marshall Courts Building is demo'd, then we might see high-rise development immediately north of City Hall (maybe City Hall's "replacement?"). I believe the SAP calls for office or mixed-use development in that block. Block D is just outside the viewpoint of this photo -- but we might actually see at least a small portion of the development in a future photo from this vantage point.

There are also a couple of parking decks in the old Financial District that I've long-since wondered if they might at some point ultimately be torn down and replaced with some form of high-density, higher-intensity (hopefully high-rise) development. The one on the southeast corner of 8th and Franklin is one I always have hoped to see redeveloped into a large office or mixed-use building.

VC9.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Icetera said:

It also appears to be integrated into the neighboring building so additional development may be extremely difficult.

I think it may have been integrated into what's there now - I don't know that it is original, though. I have vague recollections of it being built (or expanded?) - that was a long time ago. I might be thinking of another block (I don't think so because I used to catch the bus on 8th street and the bus stop was at the alley north of Main right in front of an old tobacco/cigar shop) - and I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of that block along the Franklin Street side (from 8th to 9th) as a surface parking lot.

However, as Coupe said, it's state owned. (Didn't know that!) So unless the state offloads the property (and being adjacent to Capitol Square I'm not sure why they would) i've a feeling none of us will live to see the day anything substantive gets built there unless the state does it, which since they're looking to redevelop the SE corner of 7th and Main, likely won't happen any time soon. Kinda sucks because a nice high rise mixed-use or hotel or residential building smack in the middle of everything would be awesome there. Fantastic location.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 4:15 PM, I miss RVA said:

Great pics, Ice. Thanks so much for posting these.

Yep - Children's Hospital does reach to the top of City Hall (at least that little block area atop the building does) -- and both pictures really demonstrate how the two VCU buildings have significantly beefed up that part of downtown, adding height and mass. The second picture in particular gives us a glimpse of the future. Why? Because we can see the Opus (blue, unfinished walls) rising off in the distance in the west (far right of the picture). We can see where -- once the Public Safety Building is cleared out -- hopefully where the new 20-story VCU Health-anchored building -- and the full-block build-out of Block D -- will rise. We can see where the Pinecrest will rise in Monroe Ward. We can guesstimate where the Admiral will rise in Jackson Ward -- and we can imagine the height and mass of both buildings adding bulk to the urban fabric of downtown. We can see the rusty-topped hulk of the Coliseum waiting to be demo'd and carted away, making way for high rises and the Rockefeller Center-like urban plaza might go. We can see the north end of the Blues Armory where -- according to the City Center SAP -- just immediately to the Armory's north - one of perhaps several hotels/mixed-use buildings could rise near the convention center -- perhaps we'll get that 23-to-25-story Hyatt Regency hotel there after all!  In the middle-distance near the cluster of high rise residential buildings of VCU - we can approximate where the school is planning a 12-story student residence at the corner of Laurel and Grace, across from the old Metropolitan Hospital building.  In the Arts District, we can estimate the location of the One Residential Tower -- all 25-stories of gleaming glass -- should she still be on drawing boards and somehow actually come to fruition. And who knows what unknown projects will be announced this year that could dot the landscape of Richmond's ever-growing, ever-expanding skyline and cityscape in the coming years?

NOTE: This list obviously does not include the CoStar HQ, or the high-rise residential towers to rise on the Manchester riverfront or the 14-story state office building at 7th and E. Main or the 12-story Bakery Lofts building at 17th & Franklin. I'm referencing only those projects that would be viewable from the camera angle of the second picture. That there is such a litany of new buildings that could rise over the next few years and be seen from this angle -- is remarkable!

271838021_4736986276390854_447206122802688982_n - Copy.jpg

I really hope all of these buildings end up going up around the same time for you guys, it is so awesome to see your city full of cranes and being able to see it drastically change right in front of you.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, urbanlife said:

I really hope all of these buildings end up going up around the same time for you guys, it is so awesome to see your city full of cranes and being able to see it drastically change right in front of you.

@urbanlife AMEN! From your keyboard to God's eyes!

For a bigger-picture look at what could be rising in downtown Richmond over the coming decade, check out the map in the City Center subforum -- and scroll up to check out some of the project discussion in depth, if you haven't seen it already. This will give a much fuller picture of what all might be in the pipeline for downtown.

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/120518-city-center-virginia-biotech-park/?do=findComment&comment=1785558

Edited by I miss RVA

From our good friends over at the RVA/Reddit page. Gorgeous capture of the river with a nice view of the burgeoning skyline of the Manchester riverfront. When I see this picture, I can't help but envision what Manchester will look like in another five or so years with the hopeful additions of South Falls II AND III, River's Edge II (I pray this still gets built), and the Silos project. I can't wait to see more height and density along Manchester's growing riverfront.

RVA-sunrise-01-2022.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Late winter snow.  The view of downtown just a few minutes ago (12 March 2022):

Richmond - late winter snow (12 Mar 2022)

Thanks so much, @eandsleefor taking and posting this GORGEOUS picture!! RVA is SUCH a beautiful city in the snow. And just imagine this exact vantage point in two years when the mammoth CoStar building towers over the scene. Holy wow!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Thanks so much, @eandsleefor taking and posting this GORGEOUS picture!! RVA is SUCH a beautiful city in the snow. And just imagine this exact vantage point in two years when the mammoth CoStar building towers over the scene. Holy wow!

Makes me wonder how much of Dominions building will now be obstructed/blocked out by the CoStar's HQ, which, by the way, can go ahead and start any day now. 

I like seeing the curved roof line of Dominion and less of that will be visible when the view is replaced with the flat top rectangle of CoStar, it's a good problem!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hike said:

Makes me wonder how much of Dominions building will now be obstructed/blocked out by the CoStar's HQ, which, by the way, can go ahead and start any day now. 

I like seeing the curved roof line of Dominion and less of that will be visible when the view is replaced with the flat top rectangle of CoStar, it's a good problem!

There will be certain angles where the DE tower will be blocked by CoStar's new tower from some perspectives on the south side of the river, but I think from the Lee Bridge and from the more eastern side of Manchester, the skyline will look absolutely awesome because you'll be able to see both the DE and CoStar towers - can't wait!                          

• Like 3

The CoStar and Dominion towers will "play" off each other fantastically along the riverfront. Combined with the Fed - the towers will give the RVA skyline some real heft and beef, particularly from vantage points looking north from Manchester, the Lee Bridge, etc.  Here's hoping that by 2024, when CoStar's tower opens for business, we'll have already had an announcement of yet another iconic tower set to rise on the downtown skyline. Maybe in "the hole" where OJRP once stood. 

Another thought: so far, all indications are that the VCU Health tower to rise in the Block D redevelopment in the eastern portion of City Center is still slated to rise 20 stories. Particularly given the elevation, we cannot discount just how prominent that building will be on the skyline. Even in certain views from the south/southeast/southwest -- it will be in the "background" - but the top of the building will stand out above much of the skyline, depending on the vantage point. If this tower does in fact rise to 20 stories, it will be a game-changer on the skyline, there's no question.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2022 at 12:29 PM, I miss RVA said:

The CoStar and Dominion towers will "play" off each other fantastically along the riverfront. Combined with the Fed - the towers will give the RVA skyline some real heft and beef, particularly from vantage points looking north from Manchester, the Lee Bridge, etc.  Here's hoping that by 2024, when CoStar's tower opens for business, we'll have already had an announcement of yet another iconic tower set to rise on the downtown skyline. Maybe in "the hole" where OJRP once stood. 

Another thought: so far, all indications are that the VCU Health tower to rise in the Block D redevelopment in the eastern portion of City Center is still slated to rise 20 stories. Particularly given the elevation, we cannot discount just how prominent that building will be on the skyline. Even in certain views from the south/southeast/southwest -- it will be in the "background" - but the top of the building will stand out above much of the skyline, depending on the vantage point. If this tower does in fact rise to 20 stories, it will be a game-changer on the skyline, there's no question.

Given what was revealed today over in the City Center sub forum - I feel sick to my stomach having written this. ^^^^^^^^^^

I am SO disgusted by the horrendous pile of garbage put forth in a POD by Capital City developers - the same folks who were part of the NH plan - the same folks who, when NH fell through rolled out their own vision for Block D - a vision that was INFINITELY better, stronger, more robust and far BETTER for downtown and for RVA than this ridiculous Mickey Mouse version of what was previously planned.

While I get that economic drivers beyond their control conspired to truncate the original plan, I would -- quite honestly - actually feel better had they tabled plans until construction costs came back down far enough that it would make sense to build something of the size, breadth, depth -- and certainly height -- of what was proposed a year plus ago.

If THIS is what the city is pushing for as far as "encouraging" downtown economic development in City Center - then they may as well throw in the towel and raise the white flag now -- because this thing that is being sent to the planning commission is utter crap. Mind you - it would be GREAT in Scott's Addition or over in Manchester. 

BUT NOT DOWNTOWN!!!!  FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

What ticks me off is the fact that Stoney is, in all likelihood, SO desperate to score political points with SOME kind of economic development project he can hang his hat on, that he'll roll out a red carpet for a BIG announcement of this utterly shameful offering, as if this is THE game-changer for downtown, RVA and the metro (when it is anything but!!) I wish the powers that be in the city had the collective cojones to firmly suggest that they go back to the drawing board and dust off the old plan - and even suggest that they wait out the inflation curve and go BIG when the costs of construction come down -- which they will at some point. Jesus - they waited too late as it was to get this thing underway (I understand there was a process about selling the land/Public Safety building, dealing with asbestos and other nasties, and getting it torn down, etc.) But to be 100% honest -- I'd rather wait another year - TWO years even -- if it means we get the full-blown BIG project built. Richmond has waited this long - it can wait a little longer and get it right - rather than get it now and get it schlocky.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

Ryan Ramsey on Richmondcitywatch.com posted some new photos. This is his first update in a while.  Actually, he also added photos he took in January too. Take a look:

http://richmondcitywatch.com

These pix are fantastic!! Beautiful shots all the way around. Thanks for posting, kind sir!

• Like 1