Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

14 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Hello! Im originally from Norfolk and still live in Norfolk. However I ended up coming to your city for a driving break after visiting family up north! I managed to take some ground pictures. The city was clean and quiet while also still pretty busy! Unfortunately there was a notable amount of graffiti. Besides that I thought the city looked nice and safe! Now enjoy my pictures! 

20220319085059_IMG_0492.JPG

20220319085551_IMG_0506.JPG

20220319085151_IMG_0496.JPG

20220319084848_IMG_0487.JPG

20220319084142_IMG_0479.JPG

20220319085324_IMG_0501.JPG

@mintscraft56-- thanks so much for taking the time to take and post these great photos! And , even if only for a brief visit, heartfelt wishes of welcome to RVA! :tw_smile: Please don't be a stranger - I hope you'll amble on up I-64 and come hang out in River City often!  Thanks again for the awesome pix! 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

Took some pictures today, as I was heading to the Reynolds campus.

2CA624BC-5E35-42EE-BAC5-5B6FC8DB8EC8.jpeg

8B69E7C7-7CAA-485A-B787-07F24179E221.jpeg

@Child2021-- thanks so much for taking and posting these! Great pix!

Wow - how I wish that instead of just a parking garage, the state was building something occupiable integrated into this structure - and as such, something a bit taller. I know the General Assembly and the state need the parking -- but it would be nice if there was something more than just a parking garage on this block of Broad. Even if the ground-level has some kind of commercial/retail use - it still doesn't seem like the best/highest possible use for this stretch of Broad Street.

• Like 1

Our good friends at RVA/Reddit have treated us to another bit of fantastic drone filmography with downtown RVA in the starring role. I can't wait to see similar footage once CoStar and the residential buildings along Grace Street are rising. I've snagged a couple of screen grabs from the original video download, which is also posted below. The videographer entitled the clip: "Early Morning Views". 

Enjoy!

vlcsnap-2022-03-26-21h13m57s673.png

vlcsnap-2022-03-26-21h14m54s357.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! That's a lineup of classic hits! The Tidewater in Manchester, the first-of-two big apartment buildings in Rockett's (I wonder if you'll be able to see Fulton Yards being built?) and the crane for the VCU STEM building -and exterior work going on at the Opus/Ascend building on Broad. WOW! AWESOME AWESOME stuff! Thanks so much for taking and posting!

Now - from your vantage point, is there a west-facing window far enough south that if you pointed your camera at a sharp NW angle back into Monroe Ward you might see the boom crane for the Pinecrest Parc View tower looming over/behind the Berkshire apartment building when that project gets rolling? In the next to the last photo, you can just see the western portion of the Berkshire poking out from behind the edge of the Riverfront Plaza's wall. When the crane for Pinecrest goes up, I'm thinking the boom part might be visible at times. Is there a west-facing window a little farther to the south in your office such that it would allow the Riverfront Plaza wall to be "pulled back" a little more to the right - thus exposing more of the Berkshire? Just curious - because it would be cool to see if the Pinecrest crane is visable down the road during construction.

Yes... fear not - I have your entire future photographic career all planned out for you, my friend! :tw_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here's a fun blast from the past: Richmond Times-Dispatch photographer Robert Brown (who was still working for the paper as recently as 2019 at the ripe old age of 81) took this spectacular photo looking west from the 16th floor of the old MCV hospital building on Broad Street in January of 1970. We can see that City Hall is still under construction - it would open in 1971. Notably missing is Sanger Hall (built on the site of the parking lot with the small building and the billboard reading "Zero"), and obviously, non of the more recent buildings like Children's Hospital, the General Assembly Building, etc., existed. I recall going to the observation 'deck' area of the old MCV hospital with my parents and my brother in 1969 when we went to visit my maternal grandmother, who had been hospitalized following a stroke. I would have been all of 6 - turning 7 - years old at the time. I'd be curious to know: since that hold former hospital building is now used for classrooms and labs, etc., does the old observation deck on the 16th floor even still exist and, if so, is it publicly accessible? I'd love to see a corresponding photo of the same view today.

148495934_10158784810916005_6911311631449240198_n.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

@georgeglass-- thanks so much for taking these and for posting them!

WOW - I didn't realize that The Box was as far along as it is. That's going to be fantastic on the Decatur Street side of that whole block, backing the Current. And the Tidewater is REALLLLLLLLLLY starting to take shape. For a building only 6-stories, it has quite a bit of size. No doubt the big footprint helps -- a coupled with the 10-story building right behind it, gives that section of Manchester some real beef. Can't wait to see how these two will look when they're finished.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

The Box is rising quickly, and without a crane (which is making me nuts lol).  I keep waiting for one of those small red cranes.   One never comes. 

The elevator shaft is now higher than the Current building beside it.   7 floors along this narrow street will feel pretty significant. 

I was wondering if maybe one of those red cranes might pop up. Kinda surprised to see pictures that construction is continuing apace but no crane.

HO-LEEEE WOWWWWWWWWWW!!!  @eandslee-- these are FANTASTIC!!!

SO great to see a real Spring 2022 update on how new projects are advancing throughout RVA's hotspots. 

Thank you SO much for taking them (which I'm sure was the fun part!) and taking all the time to sort through them and get them posted (that's the work part)

I culled out the three that make me THE HAPPIEST - because of what's going on. See below. This is a glimpse into RVA's future -- and I want to see a LOT more... A HELLUVA LOT more of these kinds of images start to happen all over the city - particularly at 2nd & E. Marshall in Jackson Ward (The Admiral) ... S. Fifth Street below Byrd Street (can you say CoStar?) ... E. 6th Street in Manchester (River's Edge II) ... west of Hull Street inside the Manchester floodwall (South Fall's II & III) ... 17th and Franklin (Bakery Lofts) ...  among MANY other locations. I want these locations to transmogrify (using a term from Calvin and Hobbes) into exactly what we're seeing at 321 E. Grace. It's time for this to happen.

Again,  @eandslee  - thank you for an AMAZING album of RVA photos. It's gonna take me a while to download 'em all - but it's definitely worth it!

52041340770_9f13323c27_b.jpg

52040828861_65388fa806_b.jpg

52041080769_cf7f193bbb_b.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

So, I saved these photos for last because this  corner will likely become the prettiest corner in the entire Richmond Metro area when it is complete (these photos don't do any justice).  Located at the corner of Mountain Road and Staples Mill Road in Henrico:

The Richmond Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  The smaller edifice (red brick) is a regular meeting house, but the Temple is different and is where special things take place such as marriages, baptisms, etc.  All will get a chance to go inside and tour the building (open house) before it is officially dedicated (dates TBD).  I've seen renderings of the inside and it will be absolutely stunning!  I can post some, if you all are interested.

Richmond Temple 30 Apr 22

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Wow!  Great set of pictures and thanks for saving the best for last.  Yes please post pics of the interior of the Temple.  LDS's DC Temple is currently open to the public after a multi-year renovation.

It sure is!  It's been nearly 50 years since it's been open to the public to tour.  It's a great opportunity if you haven't had the chance to take a look inside this DC Icon.  The Richmond Temple is much smaller, but no less beautiful!  I'll post some interior renderings of the Richmond Temple this afternoon.

Just in case you're interested, schedule a time to "Come and See" the DC Temple (cool video on the home page - just scroll down):

https://dctemple.org/

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Shakman said:

Yes please post pics of the interior of the Temple.

Here is a link to some renderings of the inside of the Richmond Temple (make sure to click the “Official” tab and there are more pics under the “Construction” tab):

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/richmond-virginia-temple/photographs/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, upzoningisgood said:

how are people going to be able to enjoy living in their neighborhoods when new development is tall enough to see
image.png.21b3559ed7139726ae0d72cc2d025484.png

That's actually a beautiful and very picturesque photograph. The Temple could use it for the cover of one of their publications, tbh - it's honestly that good.

Really really nice photo!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, upzoningisgood said:

how are people going to be able to enjoy living in their neighborhoods when new development is tall enough to see
image.png.21b3559ed7139726ae0d72cc2d025484.png

Oh, the horror - too tall!  Ha ha

Luckily, this is Henrico!

Edited by eandslee
  • Haha 2