Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

1 hour ago, flaneur said:

Oh I wish Richmond had "lavender trees." When I lived in LA I LOVED jacaranda season when the streets exploded in a blossom of lavender trees with petals all over the ground. It's beautiful. 

When I see these lavender trees, I can't help but recall the lyrics to the Beatles' (and later Elton John's) "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds":

"Picture yourself in a boat on a river
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hike said:

CBS 6 weather cam, which is on top of their antenna and it also moves as weather is in a different direction. It shows the recent paving of broad street and build up of Scott’s addition.

https://www.wtvr.com/weather/skytracker-cams

Great picture! Is there a live-interactive part to this? It looks like what's on this page is a static image.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Great picture! Is there a live-interactive part to this? It looks like what's on this page is a static image.

I believe it’s updated on some interval, when clicking on the other cams of the 4 listed,  those are static as well and my guess is these are likely updating every so often.

• Like 1

Here's the most recent WTVR-CBS6 tower cam picture. I've cropped it to almost center Broad Street as the "focal" point. The city's lookin' pretty good. Nice to see both the Summit and the Opus figuring prominently on Broad Street. This view will give us some nice looks at the Soda Flats being built, as well as the 6-story apartment building planned near Davis and Broad, east of Arthur Ashe Boulevard, whenever it gets underway, and also whatever building(s) might rise on the former Loupassi properties at the Broad Street-Cutshaw Avenue split.

RVA-towercam2.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, eandslee said:

@I miss RVA - camera view changed to the Lee Bridge!

https://www.wric.com/weather/live-snow-sleet-freezing-rain-in-downtown-richmond/

Dang it...it changed again!  Trying to keep up is futile....

Interesting view! Lots of activity. Can I presume, however, that this is NOT the Manchester-facing view to which you referred the other day? I'd LOVE to see them angle this cam a little farther east, more toward lower Manchester where all the construction is happening.

Edited by I miss RVA

12 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Interesting view! Lots of activity. Can I presume, however, that this is NOT the Manchester-facing view to which you referred the other day? I'd LOVE to see them angle this cam a little farther east, more toward lower Manchester where all the construction is happening.

No, this is not the Manchester view I mentioned earlier.  They'd have to pan out and shift the view to the left a bit.  They do it on occasion.  Stay tuned in...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, eandslee said:

No, this is not the Manchester view I mentioned earlier.  They'd have to pan out and shift the view to the left a bit.  They do it on occasion.  Stay tuned in...

Cool - that's what I was hoping. Yeah - if they pull back the zoom just a touch and move it left (east) -- we'll see the construction going on in lower Manchester. THAT'S the one I'm waiting to see! :tw_smiley:

18 minutes ago, Hike said:

Go back to the original, which has changed direction now due to the storm heading our way.

https://www.wtvr.com/weather/skytracker-cams

Really cool! I cropped it - not so interested in the sky conditions as I am in seeing how much of Scott's and the Diamond District the cam is seeing. The Icon is right across the street (well, one block north on Marshall) - and notice this view includes the Otis at the far left. Needless to say, THIS cam will give us a front-row seat (or maybe, better put, box seats! :tw_smiley:) for construction of the new ballpark AND everything else that rises in the Diamond District.

RVA-towercam-N1.png

44 minutes ago, Shakman said:

I can't view WRIC's camera.  

I just tuned in - WRIC has John Bernier on live - tornado warning in Goochland! THAT'S not good!

Boy - John Bernier got old, didn't he? (I know - we all do - but that tells you how long it's been since I've watched the local RVA TV news...)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Really cool! I cropped it - not so interested in the sky conditions as I am in seeing how much of Scott's and the Diamond District the cam is seeing. The Icon is right across the street (well, one block north on Marshall) - and notice this view includes the Otis at the far left. Needless to say, THIS cam will give us a front-row seat (or maybe, better put, box seats! :tw_smiley:) for construction of the new ballpark AND everything else that rises in the Diamond District.

RVA-towercam-N1.png

I just tuned in - WRIC has John Bernier on live - tornado warning in Goochland! THAT'S not good!

Boy - John Bernier got old, didn't he? (I know - we all do - but that tells you how long it's been since I've watched the local RVA TV news...)

I’m out here near short pump and it’s heading towards this vicinity. My guy was Jim Duncan on nbc 12 who’s now retired, so you’re not the only one old, as I remember him when I first moved to Richmond in the 80’s.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hike said:

I’m out here near short pump and it’s heading towards this vicinity. My guy was Jim Duncan on nbc 12 who’s now retired, so you’re not the only one old, as I remember him when I first moved to Richmond in the 80’s.

Same here! I remember watching Jim Duncan's first-ever broadcast on Channel 12 in 1981. Do you remember who preceeded him in doing the weather before moving on to WRIC? (it may have still been WXEX back then)

Yeah-  I was just watching - it definitely looks like it's heading in a southeasterly direction, almost coming right down I-64 toward Short Pump. As famous Birmingham, AL-meterologist James Spann says - "respect the polygon" - i.e. - the tornado warning (Ryan Hall echoes this on his severe-weather livestreams on YouTube. So PLEASE folks - if the tornado warnings get extended farther east into the more heavily populated part of the West End - PLEASE RESPECT THE POLYGON and get into shelter if you're within the warning area. Hopefully this thing will lift and dissipate before it gets too much farther south and east - but folks, stay safe!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Same here! I remember watching Jim Duncan's first-ever broadcast on Channel 12 in 1981. Do you remember who preceeded him in doing the weather before moving on to WRIC? (it may have still been WXEX back then)

Yeah-  I was just watching - it definitely looks like it's heading in a southeasterly direction, almost coming right down I-64 toward Short Pump. As famous Birmingham, AL-meterologist James Spann says - "respect the polygon" - i.e. - the tornado warning (Ryan Hall echoes this on his severe-weather livestreams on YouTube. So PLEASE folks - if the tornado warnings get extended farther east into the more heavily populated part of the West End - PLEASE RESPECT THE POLYGON and get into shelter if you're within the warning area. Hopefully this thing will lift and dissipate before it gets too much farther south and east - but folks, stay safe!

When I was born in 1988 you had jim Duncan also not sure about that year but when I was just a toddler I remember you had Ben Hamlin for sports And the mail anchors for years was Sabrina squire and gene cox. Also remember gene lepley was another anchor you would see a lot of along with Andrea McDaniel. Rip Andrea McDaniel. I used to run into her with my mom in certain stores at regency and around regency. Also had  Colleen reilly back in the 90s I remember. Lots of history at all news stations back in the 80s and 90s. 

Edited by Downtowner
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

When I was born in 1988 you had jim Duncan also not sure about that year but when I was just a toddler I remember you had Ben Hamlin for sports And the mail anchors for years was Sabrina squire and gene cox. Also remember gene lepley was another anchor you would see a lot of along with Andrea McDaniel. Rip Andrea McDaniel. I used to run into her with my mom in certain stores at regency and around regency. Also had  Colleen reilly back in the 90s I remember. Lots of history at all news stations back in the 80s and 90s. 

Seemed very home town for sure, I saw Jim Duncan several times at a restaurant on the south side, Midlo turnpike. Was a Mexican themed restaurant in the vicinity of where powhite extension intersects midlo, probably 1985ish. Our brush with greatness. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Downtowner said:

I had the good fortune of meeting Ben Hamlin professionally in the 80s when I was a sportswriter for the AP.  Ran into him on numerous occasions in the press room at the Coliseum when I was assigned to provide staff coverage of VCU basketball. VERY cool & funny guy with a great sense of humor.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I had the good fortune of meeting Ben Hamlin professionally in the 80s when I was a sportswriter for the AP.  Ran into him on numerous occasions in the press room at the Coliseum when I was assigned to provide staff coverage of VCU basketball. VERY cool & funny guy with a great sense of humor.

I feel like all the people we’ve mentioned here would be very approachable, just good people. 

• Like 1

Great view of the new construction in Scott's from the CBS6 tower cam. It's pointed just NE enough to include the tower portion of the Icon (far left), two buildings of Scott's Collection, and I forget the name of the large new apartment building on Marshall east of the Icon and just northwest of the Summit. The face of Scott's is really changing - and if you look at all the yet-to-be-redeveloped property throughout Scott's, it's hard not to try to envision what the neighborhood might look like in 10, 15, 20, 25 years - even going with an assumption that perhaps at best only half of the existing buildings in Scott's would be replaced by large-scale resldential developments.

Jesus - I wish I was in my 20s again to have a legit chance to see what all of this will look like 50 years from now.

RVA-towercam-NE1.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, I miss RVA said:

Praying to make it at least another 25 years - mind you, I'd be turning 85 if that happenes - ugh... :tw_confused:

83 for me in 25, still a lot to do I hope and that’s a long time for the place we love to keep on keeping on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hike said:

83 for me in 25, still a lot to do I hope and that’s a long time for the place we love to keep on keeping on.

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Praying to make it at least another 25 years - mind you, I'd be turning 85 if that happenes - ugh... :tw_confused:

im 33 will turn 34 in November. If I can squeeze out another 50 years I would be perfectly fine with that as long as I don’t have any suffering life issues to where dying would be a better option, I will be 84 in 2072 which would be exactly 50 years from now. So as long as I’m functioning well enough to still function daily. Also by then I’m wondering how advanced medicine will be to extend a males life as males usually die off before women as women definitely live longer so I’m curious as to the advancement. I mean hey even another 25 years maybe they will have something to even extend your life further. Never say never medicine nowadays is quite something compared to when I was born in 1988 or even when my dad was born in 1948. I have heard all of that different cures they may find with the covid vaccine. I’ve heard word of even cancer being cured of certain kinds with the covid vaccine or certain parts of it. So it will be interesting to see what the stuff in the vaccine could do to save lives down the road. 

• Like 2