Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

im 33 will turn 34 in November. If I can squeeze out another 50 years I would be perfectly fine with that as long as I don’t have any suffering life issues to where dying would be a better option, I will be 84 in 2072 which would be exactly 50 years from now. So as long as I’m functioning well enough to still function daily. Also by then I’m wondering how advanced medicine will be to extend a males life as males usually die off before women as women definitely live longer so I’m curious as to the advancement. I mean hey even another 25 years maybe they will have something to even extend your life further. Never say never medicine nowadays is quite something compared to when I was born in 1988 or even when my dad was born in 1948. I have heard all of that different cures they may find with the covid vaccine. I’ve heard word of even cancer being cured of certain kinds with the covid vaccine or certain parts of it. So it will be interesting to see what the stuff in the vaccine could do to save lives down the road. 

I’m all in for whatever it takes to help us survive, end diseases that take lives way too soon, etc. with that said though, I also don’t want to live forever.  I can already tell aging will be a challenge and I’m not the same person I was even 10 years ago. There’s a certain point when I feel that life will have been lived and it’s ok to go, I don’t have to do this forever, and I’m happy with that, but just not yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hike said:

I’m all in for whatever it takes to help us survive, end diseases that take lives way too soon, etc. with that said though, I also don’t want to live forever.  I can already tell aging will be a challenge and I’m not the same person I was even 10 years ago. There’s a certain point when I feel that life will have been lived and it’s ok to go, I don’t have to do this forever, and I’m happy with that, but just not yet.

Yes I’m 100 percent in agreement I don’t want to feel old decrepit and miserable my whole life either but to live long enough to see Richmond grow over the next 50 years is good with me.

• Like 2

Maybe all the wind and rain washed urban grime off the camera lens over the last couple of days - or the folks at Channel 8 fixed something - but the colors on the view from the VAWM looking toward downtown looks pretty good - the colors are more or less normal. For one thing - NO MORE LAVENDER TREES! 

Screenshot (1971).png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Maybe all the wind and rain washed urban grime off the camera lens over the last couple of days - or the folks at Channel 8 fixed something - but the colors on the view from the VAWM looking toward downtown looks pretty good - the colors are more or less normal. For one thing - NO MORE LAVENDER TREES! 

Screenshot (1971).png

Awww mannnn... I spoke too soon.

The lavender trees have returned... :tw_flushed:

Screenshot (1972).png

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Richmond City Watch is about to provide a new photo update (coming soon).  Richmondcitywatch.com.  Here is a teaser image:

May be an image of sky

Thanks for taking this and posting, @eandslee!! Great shot! Wow - I'm loving watching this building go up. Next up - Bakery Lofts and soon... CoStar!

Now IF ONLY we can jumpstart The Admiral. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Thanks for taking this and posting, @eandslee!! Great shot! Wow - I'm loving watching this building go up. Next up - Bakery Lofts and soon... CoStar!

Now IF ONLY we can jumpstart The Admiral. 

Can't take credit for this photo.  This photo is courtesy of Ryan at Richmondcitywatch.com.  

Will the Admiral ever break ground?

I forgot to tell yal regarding the Admiral. I posed as someone looking for a long term parking spot at the 200 E Marshall parking lot which is still operating as such by Parkway.  I was told they are not doing any more subscriptions at the lot at this time and that there are 'lots of moving parts' at the property. I came back a couple weeks later and asked for an update and was told 'it's 50/50' but if i had other parking options those would be a better bet. He closed by saying you can come back 'if we retain the lot'. 

So i don't know - as someone in charge of attending the lot he probably doesn't know all the details either but I guess it is still moving - hopefully in our direction. I don't think it has any outstanding permit issues at this time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, whw53 said:

I forgot to tell yal regarding the Admiral. I posed as someone looking for a long term parking spot at the 200 E Marshall parking lot which is still operating as such by Parkway.  I was told they are not doing any more subscriptions at the lot at this time and that there are 'lots of moving parts' at the property. I came back a couple weeks later and asked for an update and was told 'it's 50/50' but if i had other parking options those would be a better bet. He closed by saying you can come back 'if we retain the lot'. 

So i don't know - as someone in charge of attending the lot he probably doesn't know all the details either but I guess it is still moving - hopefully in our direction. I don't think it has any outstanding permit issues at this time. 

Super, @whw53-- thanks for doing that! Holy wow - that tells you just how good our investigative work is here at RVA UP!! I actually am standing and applauding - that was very clever! :tw_thumbsup:

QUESTION - do you remember posting a link (or maybe it was a screen shot?) showing where the paperwork was in the permitting process for The Admiral? If I recall, it has passed one or two levels - and then suddenly it had stopped - something had be declined/rejected. Do you still have access to that specific information? Perhaps it's been updated?

32 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Thanks guys!  Been working all day so haven’t had a chance to check these out.  Ryan always does a great job taking photos on RCW. 

Yep, a great set of photos!  Very nice and different perspectives on many of the projects going on downtown.  Thanks for tipping me off that they were posted.  Knew that they were coming, just didn't know exactly when.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Thanks guys!  Been working all day so haven’t had a chance to check these out.  Ryan always does a great job taking photos on RCW. 

I was hoping you’d post as you deserve the credit for reminding us to look, waited a few hours in hopes you would and even looked to see if I could DM you - doesn’t exist that I can see,  like a kid at Christmas, posted a message.

Edited by Hike
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hike said:

I was hoping you’d post as you deserve the credit for reminding us to look, waited a few hours in hopes you would and even looked to see if I could DM you - doesn’t exist that I can see,  like a kid at Christmas, posted a message.

Thanks man!  Just so you know, you CAN DM anyone here if you go to the top right of the page where the envelope icon is...click that and you should be able to send a private message as long as you know the username of the person you are looking to DM.  Now you know!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hike said:

The DM function is flaky (or at least that's what I've experienced) - sometimes if I initiate a DM it says the intended recipient cannot receive message - yet, I can REPLY to a message from the same person with no problem. It seems to be hit or miss. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Thanks man!  Just so you know, you CAN DM anyone here if you go to the top right of the page where the envelope icon is...click that and you should be able to send a private message as long as you know the username of the person you are looking to DM.  Now you know!  :thumbsup:

Cool thank you!

• Like 1

Some more really sweet drone photographic of our beloved city - courtesy of our friends on the RVA/Reddit site. While the poster was highlighting the "big red divide" and others chimed in with comments about the "red carpet" given that GRTC's PULSE lanes stand out brightly with their fresh coat of paint, the richness, crispness and incredible detail of this hi-res photo really brings out some highlights of our ever-developing city. Note how prominently visible both the STEM and Parc View tower cranes are. If you zoom in and look carefully (it does get a tad grainy) you can more-or-less make out the Commodore's tower crane in Manchester. And, as always, it's not difficult at all to imagine just how much this image might change in the next 3 to 5 years with all the big projects in the pipeline for RVA, particularly with CoStar set to break ground and if the Admiral gets underway soon, plus the two new towers announced for the Manchester riverfront (not to mention if some of the other projects - such as South Fall's II & III - and the Silos site - come to fruition. Oh - and when it gets built in the next few years, VCU's honors dorm would be clearly visible from this particular vantage point.

Incredible stuff - and a beautiful photo to give us a mental/visual canvas upon which to paint the future RVA in our minds. I can't wait to see the real canvas filled in with all the new buildings.

h510op11ofc91.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Nothing special. Just happened to snap this today - looking towards Manchester 

34F50A8B-A791-4CC7-B43C-4096795219F4.jpeg

Someday those silos are coming down.

Hard to tell how hot a day it was looking over the river lake that,  seems like it could have been cooler there.

• Like 1