Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

57 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Nothing special. Just happened to snap this today - looking towards Manchester 

34F50A8B-A791-4CC7-B43C-4096795219F4.jpeg

Thanks so much, Coupe! Really great picture! :tw_thumbsup: From where specifically did you take this shot?

I'm SO glad we have these pictures to chronicle the changes that are happening. When I see this view, I can't help but thinking how Manchester will look in five or so years if/when we get the two new Avery Hall towers, South Falls II (and, please-God, South Falls III) - something of substantial size/height at the Silos, the up-to-16-story buildlng at 201 Commerce, plus the other not-quite-so-tall but large buildings that are in the pipeline for all over Manchester. The change is EPIC and its coming VERY fast!

So cool to see the Commodore tower crane - just imagine how many MORE tower cranes may be on the way over the course of the next few years. 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hike said:

This is a close up of the Dominion tower I borrowed this from RVA Reddit. Looks like a futuristic silo, nice color and it reminds me of how this tower changes based on lighting and conditions.

040B35F3-13EC-484B-B295-F1BCB3BC3CFA.jpeg

It's a very cool design. I'm eager to see how, architecturally, the Dominion and CoStar towers will vistually "play off" each other, given their size, design and proximity to each other. RVA's skyline continues to become ever-more distinctive.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

It's a very cool design. I'm eager to see how, architecturally, the Dominion and CoStar towers will vistually "play off" each other, given their size, design and proximity to each other. RVA's skyline continues to become ever-more distinctive.

It’s definitely nice to have a building that’s not a flat roof and yes, adding another glass structure will help the skyline look more updated, looking forward to seeing them both together like you mentioned.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Maybe one day...dreamy...[sigh]...image.png.1a122b25497187d062b0a1e9b2e08f4b.png

Yeah - agreed! Mind you, I'm not sure exactly WHAT it would take to get a developer to come in with such an architecturally distinct design. A pointy spire-topped building certainly would be a signature building - whether that means it would be the city's tallest - who knows. But it's a design that RVA's skyline needs to see happen. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Fully agreed, @Hike. Now if only we could get a building with a pointy top (a spire) a la One Liberty Place in Philadelphia. :tw_thumbsup:

LibertyPlace.jpg

Literally my favorite tower in the entire world. I’ve been to Philly and seeing it up close along with the rest was amazing. Last time I went was 2005.I would love to get back up there soon to see the two Comcast towers that are towering over one and two liberty place. I love Philly In general and really enjoyed the reading terminal market. It’s a beautiful city.,

• Like 2

I agree about the flat tops. I was hoping the Costar building was not gonna be that but I'll take what we can get for now (also still disappointed with the height after the initial reveal but oh well). 

Something I thought about before though: why can't someone design a tower akin to the Central National Bank building? Not talking about looking like it (and certainly without that bulk on the lower half), more like the shape of the top? I know the roof is kinda flat but it's definitely not a box like most of our towers are. Could be glass but with a similar shape.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, plain said:

I agree about the flat tops. I was hoping the Costar building was not gonna be that but I'll take what we can get for now (also still disappointed with the height after the initial reveal but oh well). 

Something I thought about before though: why can't someone design a tower akin to the Central National Bank building? Not talking about looking like it (and certainly without that bulk on the lower half), more like the shape of the top? I know the roof is kinda flat but it's definitely not a box like most of our towers are. Could be glass but with a similar shape.

i've always loved art deco skyscrapers - and even modern-day versions are SUPER attractive. Fully agreed - RVA could do well with something in the modern art deco variety - but methinks it'll be a while before we have the kind of office-space demand downtown that would make such a gorgeous building feasible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Downtowner said:

I’m still working in gilpin court on the shockoe hill apartments. I got a great view of the skyline today coming down Brook road towards gilpin court area and I love that view of the skyline, it’s really breathtaking. Also the general assembly building is very prominent  in that view of the skyline. Wish I was able to snap a photo of it 

Do you remember any of the cross streets?

Just wait 'til CoStar rises! The way the "bigs" on the riverfront (the Fed, Dominion, etc.) visually "loom" on the skyline from a vantage point coming from the Northside is usually pretty epic. I'll be curious how visibly prominent the Pinecrest/Parc View will be from these Northside vantage points.

Edited by I miss RVA

8 hours ago, Icetera said:

I imagine from around School St. until you hit the decline toward the railroad crossing.  Dominion Tower really stands out from that angle.

You would be correct. It starts right around school street and goes to the train tracks. Once you go across the train tracks you no longer can see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Holy moly - it's looking pretty gnarly in the skies above RVA at the moment... stay safe, folks!

Screenshot (2088).png

Yeah, I just drove through it all - it was terrible!  Downtown was nice though and Manchester looks so dense driving southbound on I-95. 

• Like 2