Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

Even though the resolution is VERY grainy due to distance, quality of the cam and where it's focused, it appears that we can see just a bit of the skeleton of the Pinecrest/Parc View on the downtown skyline. The view is limited not only by the quality of the picture but by the angle - the cupola of the former William Byrd hotel (which is now an apartment building, yes?) on Broad Street blocks almost all of the view. But if you look just left of the cupola you can see part of the structure sort of "superimposed" in front of the Monroe tower. So I think we're getting a few of a very small portion of the Parc View from as far away as 3300 Cutshaw Avenue.

Check it out!

tower-2.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

Since it was such a beautiful day, I was able to get out and snap a few photos...

1. The Eddy

2. MacRae and Lacy has started the next set of townhomes next to Legend.

3. Same as #2

4. The silos fencing

5. Riverside Cycling has set up shop in "The Witch" building. I am happy a business is there, but I am a little disappointed that the plan that's on Nahum's site is apparently not happening.

6. New spa coming to the South Falls retail space on the canal.

7. River and skyline shot

8. Kayakers

9. The Commodore from near Legends 

10.  Kayaker

11. A block of townhomes being built off Bainbridge 

12. Danil Kleyman's apartment building is starting next to Dogtown Dance Theater 

PXL_20230208_204918267.jpg

PXL_20230208_204936981.jpg

PXL_20230208_204945601.jpg

PXL_20230208_210200373.jpg

PXL_20230208_210216146.jpg

PXL_20230208_210519374.jpg

PXL_20230208_211018657.jpg

PXL_20230208_213644126.jpg

PXL_20230208_215312417.jpg

PXL_20230208_213812895.jpg

PXL_20230208_215640803.jpg

PXL_20230208_215724779.jpg

AMAZING photos, @georgeglass-- thank you SO much for taking and posting these. It goes without say, you are officially nominated for this week's RVA/UP "YOU DA MAN" AWARD and the prestigious OFFICIAL SILVER PORT-A-POTTY trophy! These pix are GORGEOUS - and i'm stealing one in particular for this month's "Richmond in Cranes" update.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

AMAZING photos, @georgeglass-- thank you SO much for taking and posting these. It goes without say, you are officially nominated for this week's RVA/UP "YOU DA MAN" AWARD and the prestigious OFFICIAL SILVER PORT-A-POTTY trophy! These pix are GORGEOUS - and i'm stealing one in particular for this month's "Richmond in Cranes" update.

Thanks, glad you liked em! Now that the temps are up a bit, I'll try and be more consistent.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brent114 said:

This is very attractive! 

DAA0C363-002A-43A9-AE6E-4E82B4B140C2.jpeg

OMG - that is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!! VERY cosmopolitan, isn't it?!

Thanks SO much for taking and posting this, Brent. Yeah - another silver port-a-potty seems to be in your future (once I get to the warehouse and start digging out the port-a-potties!)

2 hours ago, Shakman said:

OMG.  That is HORRIBLE!   *shakman barfed on keyboard* 

Well, to be honest, the whole building looks terrible. I’m not talking about the design…I’m talking about how worn it looks!  Last time I saw this building in person, I was almost embarrassed by how terrible it looked with rain stains running down the side, etc.  It’s virtually new and it’s already not aging well.  I don’t know, this is one way to draw your attention away from the tattered look. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

Great pics!

That whole corridor is screaming for 3-6 story apartment buildings and BRT. Hopefully we start to see this realized in a few years.

image.png.8db9ed75a4c15be8459adb6567176a7c.png!!!

Those are already coming - and I think we're already moving past the 3-to-6 story range - and we're not long from seeing  5-to-8 apartment buildings in this part of town become the norm, based on what's been coming into the pipeline. It obviously lags behind Scott's Addition - but I think the densities will become even greater as we get more development in this part of the city.

Wowzers - I see a canvas just waiting for paint and the brush strokes necessary to turn out a true masterpiece. It's coming! Wow - it's coming.

And my friend - from your keyboard to God's eyes regarding BRT. We SOOOO need that north/south line. THAT (an operational BRT line) - more than anything - is what will pour the bottle of Urban Miracle Grow on the Northside. Once that line is built - watch out. 

And mark my words on this. I swear I hope and pray I live to see it - because I'm convinced it will be EPIC what happens here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

An awesome photo found on r/RVA (Reddit) posted by u/M4000h taken from a vantage point I've never seen before!  This hi-res image (click the reddit link to see the original) shows some great detail to include at least two tower cranes in the skyline:

Richmond from the North Vantage Point (Chamberlain).jpg

Some of the best photography I've seen on the RVA Reddit site has been from drone photography taken from above the Northside.

This is as EPIC a shot of the city as I have seen in quite some time. Indeed - two tower cranes (Parc View and the VCU tech building) - and notice how the Parc View is CLEARLY taller than the Berkshire from this vantage point. It's amazing -- seeing the cluster of buildings around the VCU academic/Monroe Park campus and in the northwestern portion of Monroe Ward - then some separation - then the main portion of the Richmond skyline - it actually looks like a smaller version of some pictures we see of cities like Atlanta or Houston -- cities with multiple skylines. 

Given the angle of the shot, the photo JUST MISSED including the Opus - literally just out of the range of the photo's range - right down Lombardy Street.

SO cool that we just had an RBS story about the planned redevelopment of Lombardy and Chamberlayne with a new apartment building. And given how hi-res this photo is, when you zoom in on all the newer construction closer in toward downtown between Chamberlayne and Lombardy - and down farther on the east side of Chamberlayne - it gives RVA SUCH a feel of the northeastern cities. and their block after block after block of density.

I can't wait to see what Northside will look like in five, 10, 15, 20 years - particularly after the BRT line is build through this corridor.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Here's a photo of the view from an office inside The Current in Manchester.  Nice view of downtown and the surrounding area under construction:

View from The Current Manchester.png

When I see views/vantages like this - looking from Manchester toward downtown across the river - and seeing all the NEW development going on in Manchester, I harken back to what the CRE experts who attended the RBS "The Future of Manchester" meeting a few years ago said - referring to Manchester as "Richmond's version of Brooklyn" because of the density/intensity of new development and the proximity across the river from downtown. And just look at this picture - to the left - allllllllllllllllllllll the land just waiting for new - HIGH DENSITY development!! 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...