Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

1 hour ago, Hike said:

One of the better city views I’ve seen in awhile.
(or should it be “a while”?) 

This is from creativedogmedia found on Reddit. 

9E5AC029-C629-4D3A-9F68-C13B4E15CB7E.jpeg

Fantastic photo!! Thanks, @Hikefor finding this and posting it. Creativedogmedia does a fantastic job with areal/drone RVA photography. Some of his shots are absolutely EPIC. This is, by far, one of this very best. So much goodness in this picture. We can CLEARLY see the Bakery Lofts site - with the new parking deck and other construction going on. We can see just how prominent a building Pinecrest/Parc View actually is - and how tall and meaty it is. We can clearly see the Opus at Lombardy and Broad. What's more, we can see SOOOOOOOO many developable parcels throughout - stretching from just west of the bend on E. Main throughout Monroe Ward, City Center, I can't help but envision all the new construction that could potentially erupt once the economic situation stabilizes and becomes more development friendly:

• Imagine seeing the Project Formerly Known as the Admiral rising at 2nd and E. Marshall.
  • Imagine a new 500-plus room convention hotel rising perhaps behind the Blues Armory (on the north side of the Armory).
  • Imagine Locks 7 & 8 rising along the Canal.
  • Imagine high-rise multi-family residential or mixed use buildings rising on E. Broad (between 4th & 5th streets -- and -- between 6th & 7th).
  • Imagine something akin to the original "City Center" high-rise mixed-use project rising on E. Grace (between 6th & 7th).
  • Imagine a 10-11 story apartment building rising at 6th & E. Franklin (where the crumbling/falling-down garage is currently).
  • Imagine high-rise residential buildings starting to sprout in the burgeoning Grace Street Corridor.

And that's just from projects we KNOW about!

And looking just at potential imagine a veritable forest of high-rise residential buildings filling the vast Sea of Parking Lots particularly in the southern section of Monroe Ward and throughout the district.

It's hard not to visualize what a MUCH bigger Richmond could look like in 5, 10, 15, 20 years when looking at this wonderful photo!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Fantastic photo!! Thanks, @Hikefor finding this and posting it. Creativedogmedia does a fantastic job with areal/drone RVA photography. Some of his shots are absolutely EPIC. This is, by far, one of this very best. So much goodness in this picture. We can CLEARLY see the Bakery Lofts site - with the new parking deck and other construction going on. We can see just how prominent a building Pinecrest/Parc View actually is - and how tall and meaty it is. We can clearly see the Opus at Lombardy and Broad. What's more, we can see SOOOOOOOO many developable parcels throughout - stretching from just west of the bend on E. Main throughout Monroe Ward, City Center, I can't help but envision all the new construction that could potentially erupt once the economic situation stabilizes and becomes more development friendly:

• Imagine seeing the Project Formerly Known as the Admiral rising at 2nd and E. Marshall.
  • Imagine a new 500-plus room convention hotel rising perhaps behind the Blues Armory (on the north side of the Armory).
  • Imagine Locks 7 & 8 rising along the Canal.
  • Imagine high-rise multi-family residential or mixed use buildings rising on E. Broad (between 4th & 5th streets -- and -- between 6th & 7th).
  • Imagine something akin to the original "City Center" high-rise mixed-use project rising on E. Grace (between 6th & 7th).
  • Imagine a 10-11 story apartment building rising at 6th & E. Franklin (where the crumbling/falling-down garage is currently).
  • Imagine high-rise residential buildings starting to sprout in the burgeoning Grace Street Corridor.

And that's just from projects we KNOW about!

And looking just at potential imagine a veritable forest of high-rise residential buildings filling the vast Sea of Parking Lots particularly in the southern section of Monroe Ward and throughout the district.

It's hard not to visualize what a MUCH bigger Richmond could look like in 5, 10, 15, 20 years when looking at this wonderful photo!

And Manchester isn’t even shown here, amazing how filled in the city is now, very good looking. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hike said:

And Manchester isn’t even shown here, amazing how filled in the city is now, very good looking. 

image.jpeg.75764d762422a9e57d474f0aa918cb79.jpeg this!!!

AND - what's more - Scott's Addition isn't in the picture (it's too far away) - and the Diamond District hasn't been developed yet. At the risk of being catastrophically disappointed, I try not to allow myself to get but so excited - but man... it's impossible NOT to be excited! I can't wait for these uncertain economic times to pass and settle down and for the construction floodgates to once again open so we can get some of these stalled projects back underway. I might be wrong - but I can't shake the feeling that 2024 COULD actually be a banner year for Richmond construction. As a layman, I don't know how much movement in the economy (inflation, construction costs. interest rates, etc.) would need to take place to get us back to where projects are coming hot N heavy - but I can't imagine it would take a HUGE amount of movement. All we need is just for the door to crack open enough to get the stalled projects back underway - and to get other projects that are in the pipeline rolling through as if on an assembly line - and WOW... Richmond will keep growing and changing rather dramatically.

Friends, I've not ever been THIS optimistic and/or excited about RVA's future my entire life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Some photos I took today in Richmond:

7C0E75FC-6FB1-4B8D-B358-3E747E689F7F.jpeg

48407E01-D15A-4B24-93AB-EE8C747D97CC.jpeg

E612D761-713E-4C9B-84D1-40E34F80E4D1.jpeg

BB180B5B-D19F-41EA-8CA9-54C1E35B92E7.jpeg

5269BCF2-B7E5-4C06-A4F4-67A0226C6A4A.jpeg

E2126214-D9B2-4BF4-9B20-FAE4869B5AE7.jpeg

77E51F5A-CFD3-49D8-A20E-DEE76D1745B1.jpeg

C19A013C-FEA5-4A04-BB50-598D46971355.jpeg

1B1B133C-FA6C-4E94-9BB1-1611622729B6.jpeg

I think I left all my correctly sized OFFICIAL Silver Port-o-Potties on my other computer. I have to dig around and see if I can find them. @Hike -- you have your engraver's implement at the ready, yes?

Great photos, @eandslee!  As always, thank you kind sir for snapping some pix and posting them. What brought you to the River City today?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I think I left all my correctly sized OFFICIAL Silver Port-o-Potties on my other computer. I have to dig around and see if I can find them. @Hike -- you have your engraver's implement at the ready, yes?

Great photos, @eandslee!  As always, thank you kind sir for snapping some pix and posting them. What brought you to the River City today?

My parents were in town and so I brought them down to go to the open house for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Temple in the west end (beautiful, by the way).  Then I drove them all around Richmond and gave them the “dime tour” of the City.  Snapped a few photos in the process. We really enjoyed our day in the City - so much to see!  My parents loved it!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, eandslee said:

My parents were in town and so I brought them down to go to the open house for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Temple in the west end (beautiful, by the way).  Then I drove them all around Richmond and gave them the “dime tour” of the City.  Snapped a few photos in the process. We really enjoyed our day in the City - so much to see!  My parents loved it!

Coolness!! Where do your folks live?

I know you drive THROUGH RVA quite frequently - glad you were finally able to make a day trip TO RVA to be able to really enjoy soaking in all the new stuff going on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eandslee said:

I want to go the Temple open house but I'm busy every weekend until 3rd week of April.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shakman said:

I want to go the Temple open house but I'm busy every weekend until 3rd week of April.  

Go during a weekday…after work…or lunch break. You don’t need reservations (they don’t check - just show up).  It’s worth it. Really, you won’t get the chance to ever do it again. I went yesterday and it was a pleasant experience - no pressure from anyone…just go and see.  Need about an hour. It’s beautiful though, in traditional colonial (very Virginia) decor and style.  Loved it!  It’s open everyday EXCEPT this Saturday (1 Apr) and every Sunday until 15 April.  Tours available from 9:00am-9:00pm.

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Coolness!! Where do your folks live?

I know you drive THROUGH RVA quite frequently - glad you were finally able to make a day trip TO RVA to be able to really enjoy soaking in all the new stuff going on.

My parents came up from Dalton Georgia where they currently live. My mom grew up in Mechanicsville, but has lived everywhere else since I was 7 years old. I was showing her all the changes the City has undertaken. She was impressed with Richmond and her progress. My tour was the highlight of her trip!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Go during a weekday…after work…or lunch break. You don’t need reservations (they don’t check - just show up).  It’s worth it. Really, you won’t get the chance to ever do it again. I went yesterday and it was a pleasant experience - no pressure from anyone…just go and see.  Need about an hour. It’s beautiful though, in traditional colonial (very Virginia) decor and style.  Loved it!  It’s open everyday EXCEPT this Saturday (1 Apr) and every Sunday until 15 April.  Tours available from 9:00am-9:00pm.

My parents came up from Dalton Georgia where they currently live. My mom grew up in Mechanicsville, but has lived everywhere else since I was 7 years old. I was showing her all the changes the City has undertaken. She was impressed with Richmond and her progress. My tour was the highlight of her trip!

Coolness!! Glad you mom enjoyed the tour of the city!

Temple: Nice!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

From our talented good friend M400 on the RVA Subreddit. A GORGEOUS shot of Main Street Station looking northwest toward downtown. This guy is a genius with his drone photography of our growing city!

Enjoy!

z8jaca9q9ysa1.jpg

Great shot!  Thanks for posting.  Drove home from Tampa, FL today (was on a cruise all week) and driving through Richmond (via I-295) and over the Varina-Enon Bridge, saw downtown from the top of the bridge glistening in the sunlight of dusk - was beautiful!  Just wish I wasn’t driving so that I could have taken a photo.  Need a taller tower though to really make downtown from that distance really remarkable. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Great shot!  Thanks for posting.  Drove home from Tampa, FL today (was on a cruise all week) and driving through Richmond (via I-295) and over the Varina-Enon Bridge, saw downtown from the top of the bridge glistening in the sunlight of dusk - was beautiful!  Just wish I wasn’t driving so that I could have taken a photo.  Need a taller tower though to really make downtown from that distance really remarkable. 

Agreed, my friend. I'll see your tower and raise you a few taller towers. We need several of them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Very cool! So that means, then, that WRIC is running two live cams simultaneously? Or is this one being added to the rotation that shows downtown from the Virginia War Memorial and Rockett's?

2 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Very cool! So that means, then, that WRIC is running two live cams simultaneously? Or is this one being added to the rotation that shows downtown from the Virginia War Memorial and Rockett's?

Answered my own question. They're still running the weather cam - so this river cam is independent of what they were running previously. So TV8 has TWO LIVE cams up and running. Sweet!!

https://www.wric.com/weather/live-snow-sleet-freezing-rain-in-downtown-richmond/

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Answered my own question. They're still running the weather cam - so this river cam is independent of what they were running previously. So TV8 has TWO LIVE cams up and running. Sweet!!

https://www.wric.com/weather/live-snow-sleet-freezing-rain-in-downtown-richmond/

Yep, you answered your question.  The only thing is that I wish the skyline was somehow captured…by maybe placing the camera looking north/northwest from a southern perch. 

• Like 1

Yep, you answered your question.  The only thing is that I wish the skyline was somehow captured…by maybe placing the camera looking north/northwest from a southern perch. 

Yeah - that would be really cool. Maybe mounted along the Manchester riverfront and pointed NNW. That might work.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Now that I think about it - another camera we need is an actual, legit CoStar construction cam! WHERE, pray tell, is that cam and how do we find it?

Amen to that!!  I’m starving for some vidual CoStar construction situational awareness!  GOT to have a webcam!  Seriously, who builds a huge project like this one without a construction webcam these days?!  I’m befuddled. 

8 hours ago, eandslee said:

Amen to that!!  I’m starving for some vidual CoStar construction situational awareness!  GOT to have a webcam!  Seriously, who builds a huge project like this one without a construction webcam these days?!  I’m befuddled. 

Who normally posts cameras - the primary (overall) developer, the general contractor ... ?

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I thought it was the general contractor. CoStar could always request one I suppose.  You’d think it’d be good PR to set one up. 

I thought it was the general contractor as well - but wasn't sure if the "overall" developer actually handled stuff like construction cams.

Agreed - it would be some nice PR for CoStar to let folks in on the festivities at the construction site. It was awesome that VCU had set up cams for the outpatient hospital, Children's Hospital and the STEM building construction. Ditto the company building the new General Assembly building. If I recall, Pinecrest set up one for Parc View, didn't they? And recall all the cams that Capital Cities posted during their trifecta of projects in Scott's a couple of years ago.

A great photo courtesy of u/ThatChildNextDoor on Reddit (r/rva)...who, I think, also might be a member of this site under a different username (just a hunch)...or, at least, lurks here quite often:

hzcefh79jita1.jpg

Hmmm... image.jpeg.3dd48ab2fe956790d50f0106161509e6.jpeg  Methinks you're onto something there, my friend!

REALLY great shot -looks like it's from VCU's new outpatient hospital. The Pinecrest/Parc View is REALLY looking good! A very robust building. And I love how both the Opus (Ascent?) AND even the Icon (wayyyyy back in the distance) are in the same picture. Also - both the Parc View AND the VCU Tech building cranes are visible. I can't see the cranes in Scott's (like at the Bakery Lofts - I think the view is blocked - plus it's too far away). Still... GORGEOUS view!

• Like 1