Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

7 hours ago, eandslee said:

I was in town yesterday and today for the Ragnar Trail Relay Race at Pocahontas State Park. I do it every year, but on the way back home, I stopped in the downtown area to take some photos. Here are some of the pics I took today:

Just for fun, can you name the projects I got pictures of?

IMG_3716.jpeg

IMG_3718.jpeg

IMG_3720.jpeg

IMG_3721.jpeg

IMG_3723.jpeg

IMG_3725.jpeg

IMG_3726.jpeg

IMG_3727.jpeg

IMG_3728.jpeg

IMG_3729.jpeg

IMG_3730.jpeg

IMG_3738.jpeg

IMG_3747.jpeg

IMG_3749.jpeg

IMG_3751.jpeg

IMG_3752.jpeg

IMG_3753.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg

IMG_3756.jpeg

Hmmm... lessee... image.jpeg.f2c932a45863051a4c40dbe8ea063f32.jpeg

1.) This is the one that's stumping me in terms of actual development. Looks like you're northbound on the 288 beltway just south of the interchange with the Powhite Parkway. No idea what the project is on the west side of the highway.

2.) Apartments and parking deck - west side of I-195 (between 195 and Hamilton Street)

3.) Belleville apartment building

4.) Ibid.

5 through 11.) Crescent/Novel Scott's Addition

12.) VCU Tech Center - W. Broad Street

13 through 20.) CoStar

image.png.329a8adde0e11c3a4a257eadb7107a0f.png

9 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Hmmm... lessee... image.jpeg.f2c932a45863051a4c40dbe8ea063f32.jpeg

1.) This is the one that's stumping me in terms of actual development. Looks like you're northbound on the 288 beltway just south of the interchange with the Powhite Parkway. No idea what the project is on the west side of the highway.

2.) Apartments and parking deck - west side of I-195 (between 195 and Hamilton Street)

3.) Belleville apartment building

4.) Ibid.

5 through 11.) Crescent/Novel Scott's Addition

12.) VCU Tech Center - W. Broad Street

13 through 20.) CoStar

image.png.329a8adde0e11c3a4a257eadb7107a0f.png

You did pretty well in identifying the photos.  You were REALLY close with the first one.  The first one is "The Park" (the surf park) right off of 288 at the intersection of 76/Powhite Parkway!  Great job!

I have to say that, aside from the CoStar photos, my favorite photo in this line-up is this one (below).  Why, you ask?  Look at what the crane is lifting!  ha ha 

IMG_3725.jpeg

Edited by eandslee
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

You did pretty well in identifying the photos.  You were REALLY close with the first one.  The first one is "The Park" (the surf park) right off of 288 at the intersection of 76/Powhite Parkway!  Great job!

I have to say that, aside from the CoStar photos, my favorite photo in this line-up is this one (below).  Why, you ask?  Look at what the crane is lifting!  ha ha 

IMG_3725.jpeg

HAAAA!!!! LOVE IT!! 😂

Well, you're definitely in line for a silver version of one of those just on the merit of the outstanding pictures - but IN PARTICULAR - BECAUSE of the one posted here. That ALONE is worthy of silverware!

As soon as our engraver is available, I'll be doling out quite a few trophies from the last week or two. Stay tuned for yours, which will be forthcoming! (Hopefully, you won't need the Novel crane to lug it home!) 😉

On ID'ing the photos: yeah - 19 out of 20 ain't too bad, all things considered! 😊

Edited by I miss RVA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Happy Veterans Day!  This morning, I ran the Richmond Half Marathon and while downtown, I took some photos that I thought I’d share:

IMG_5521.jpeg

IMG_5523.jpeg

IMG_5524.jpeg

IMG_5528.jpeg

IMG_5534.jpeg

IMG_5539.jpeg

IMG_5540.jpeg

IMG_5543.jpeg

IMG_5544.jpeg

IMG_5547.jpeg

IMG_5549.jpeg

IMG_5550.mov

IMG_5551.jpeg

IMG_5558.jpeg

IMG_5565.jpeg

IMG_5566.jpeg

Absolutely fantastic! You know the drill. Silver hardware time for youuuuuuuuuuuuu,

image.png.b52a8b59fe14823e44121feb369513d6.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Absolutely fantastic! You know the drill. Silver hardware time for youuuuuuuuuuuuu,

image.png.b52a8b59fe14823e44121feb369513d6.png

Thanks!  My third photo from the bottom shows demolition work on the block just north of Dominion Energy’s vacant lot downtown (Seventh and E. Cary).  Isn’t that supposed to become a residential tower?  I can’t remember seeing any renderings for this yet, so has me curious.  Anyone know?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Thanks!  My third photo from the bottom shows demolition work on the block just north of Dominion Energy’s vacant lot downtown (Seventh and E. Cary).  Isn’t that supposed to become a residential tower?  I can’t remember seeing any renderings for this yet, so has me curious.  Anyone know?

Not that corner - but the corner across 7th street WAS supposed to be a 300-unit residential tower. Genesis (wasn't that the developer?) pulled out - scuttled the sale. Dominion has put both that parcel plus the Eighth & Main (former Wheat First Securities HQ) building back on the market. 

This deck (in your photo) - I believe - is part of the state office building that's getting torn down and converted into green space. Originally was going to be the new 14-story state office building that would've housed departments being relo'd from the Monroe building. Now - it's just going to house squirrels and maybe a few pigeons. image.png.ca69b3d0500fe9c5fbc9a21d61be4bff.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, georgeglass said:

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWZERSS, @georgeglassJust AMAZING!!!

I only have one response to this outstanding collection of photos, my friend:

image.png.5c3e21845a4b093af0499499ca1d262c.png

Some prestigious RVA/UP Silver Hardware is coming your way! VERY much deserved!!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Stumbled across these gems on the RVA subreddit. I still marvel at how not all that long ago, Rockett's was little more than open/overgrown empty lots and a couple of abandoned buildings. The transformation over the last decade has been beyond stunning.

From our friends at RVA/Reddit.

gtx5vfcf598c1.jpg

mkwt3gcf598c1.jpg

It will look even better when Fulton Yards starts construction. Development currently drops off when you hit the CSX railroad viaduct, however, with the Fulton yards development, both sides should be better connected. 

By the way, has anyone heard or seen anything going on regarding the Fulton Yards development? I haven’t heard anything in a while and am hoping it’s still proceeding. Any update would be appreciated!

Slightly unrelated but Amtrak is planning to build a train storage facility around where the blue freight cars are in the first image to overnight trains from Main Street Station, which will allow Main Street to have upwards of 8 daily passenger trains to the north, an increase over the 3 existing trains. This won’t necessarily bring increased activity to the area, but it is Rockett’s related so I figured I’d post it here.

• Thanks 3