Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

I wish they would bury all overhead wiring in Richmond. Maybe now that the VCU Monroe Campus is rising, they will get rid of the overheads along Main Street - especially in front of the 5-star Jefferson.

Just placing them in alleys would be good enough for me. In many parts of the Richmond, this is what they've done, and it's also the reason cities with alley infrastructure tend not to have as many power lines showing (contrary to common perception, it's not because they're buried in the older areas).

Are there alleys in that section of town, or is that the problem?

Also, Wrldcoupe, you should post a few of your phototours on the Southern States forum of SkyscraperPage (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=36) . . . I think people would like them. Maybe just copy your posts from Skyscrapercity?

Edited by joey

Joey, there are no alleys thru the Jefferson Hotel, and I suspect there will be none thru the new VCU Monroe Park campus. Underground, as far as I can see, is the only direction to go in this particular area of Monroe Ward.

Loved the pictures you posted above which included some of Coupe's. I get very confused by all the different forums with Skyscraper in the titles. There is a thread on Skyscrapercity about grand avenues, too. In fact, I mentioned Cary Street Road on it yesterday. And Coupe and Spencer (Brent) have pictures of Richmond all over the place on that forum. TBurban contributes some of his excellent work on a southern picture thread on UP. Have you visited that site? It's amazing how much photographic exposure Richmond gets on various forums thanks to ace photographers such as Wrldcoupe4, TBurban, Cadeho, Spencer and, IMO, the guy that started it all, Ryan Ramsey at RCW. :)

Edited by burt

The wind was whipping me around on top of the hills with no wind break! I'm editing and tossing pics from tonight.

Nice lights Tommy. Too bad we couldn't have had snow.. but hey I got some pics of down there from 12/19/04 when we had a surprise snowstorm.

Burt, they actually spell out Happy Holi- Days

Nice pics Tommy, you must have taken them a while after the actual Grand Illumination because when I was there the sidewalks were totally packed.

:ph34r: Tommy tease us at 6:45pm, so we know he home at computer. So Detective Charley Chan say Tommy not downtown until crowd thin out. Confucius say: Can fool Uncle Burtie sometime, but not always.

:rofl:

Edited by burt

More from Friday, between 6:47PM and 9:44PM

It was a total of 233 pics and 1 video that was trimmed to 157 pics... and my video was horrendous and has been destroyed.

I only wanted to do the skyline and buildings from various places and didn't venture to the James Center. It was extremely windy up on the hills, almost reminded me of being caught in that dust/water devil back in may, but prolonged.

From Jefferson Hill Park

DSCF7514.jpg

DSCF7522.jpg

DSCF7524.jpg

From Church Hill

DSCF7566.jpg

DSCF7568.jpg

DSCF7578.jpg

DSCF7579.jpg

DSCF7582.jpg

DSCF7584.jpg

Taylors Hill Park

DSCF7602.jpg

DSCF7603.jpg

DSCF7605.jpg

DSCF7606.jpg

From Great Ship Lock Park

DSCF7608.jpg

From the Intermediate Terminal

DSCF7612.jpg

DSCF7613.jpg

From Powhatan Hill Park

DSCF7630.jpg

From Libby Hill Park

DSCF7647.jpg

DSCF7651.jpg

From Mayo Island

DSCF7674.jpg

DSCF7676.jpg

From Manchester

DSCF7690.jpg

DSCF7689.jpg

DSCF7691.jpg

DSCF7694.jpg

DSCF7696.jpg

From 5th St

DSCF7698.jpg

DSCF7699.jpg

DSCF7700.jpg

DSCF7704.jpg

DSCF7707.jpg

From Tredegar St

DSCF7711.jpg

DSCF7712.jpg

DSCF7724.jpg

DSCF7725.jpg

DSCF7728.jpg

DSCF7730.jpg

DSCF7745.jpg

From 3rd and Cary

DSCF7749.jpg

DSCF7751.jpg

From 4th St over the Downtown Expressway

DSCF7754.jpg

DSCF7761.jpg

From Oregon Hill

DSCF7768.jpg

DSCF7770.jpg

DSCF7777.jpg

Cam: Very nice pix and comprehensive coverage.

Have they also white-painted the Franklin Street front of the Radisson (soon to be Doubletree)?

And what is that strange metal piece on the top of the new VCU Business School? You can see it clearly in Pic. #13.

Bit of trivia! In Pic. #15, you can see the Berkshire Apartments on Franklin across from the white washed Raddison. Liz Taylor and John Warner had a penthouse in the Berkshire which they used from time to time during their brief marriage. Liz could be seen around town occasionally and was a patient at Memorial Hospital when she got a chicken bone caught in her throat.

Edited by burt

Thanks, Tommy. The James Center atrium is very attractive and so are the illuminated buildings and deer! :)

Did anyone notice in Picture #17 of the JC Atrium (or fourth up from the bottom) there is an easel-like stand showing buildings in Richmond and the Coliseum is depicted as white in color? The Raddisson got out the white wash; maybe Tom Sawyer and pals ought to get to work on the big downtown arena. LOL.

Edited by burt

Nice Tommy I hadn't been inside this time of year... it's like a duh to not think it wouldn't be festive too... but I was kind of duuuuh.

Burt, I knew Liz was married to Sen. Warner but I didn't know she stayed here at all... and a chicken bone!

I do hope Tom Sawyer and his friends would whitewash a lot of buildings! And I'd take the Coliseum white over its miserably drearyBROWN any day. But of course Tom would skip out on the actual work.