N.C. Museum of Art

avery

I found this information on www.raleighing.com.

This is a very good site if anyone hasn't checked it out. Anyway, I would love to see this built. What a difference from the old juvenile detention center that was there previously. Sorry, I can't paste the image. Very cool design in my opinion. :shades:

It looks huge. I wonder what types of exhibits they have lined up and collections to display.

Here is the link to the architect with more renderings. Click on NCMA once you are in the site. Architects's Page

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this information on www.raleighing.com.

This is a very good site if anyone hasn't checked it out. Anyway, I would love to see this built. What a difference from the old juvenile detention center that was there previously. Sorry, I can't paste the image. Very cool design in my opinion. :shades:

It looks huge. I wonder what types of exhibits they have lined up and collections to display.

Here is the link to the architect with more renderings. Click on NCMA once you are in the site. Architects's Page

Raleighing is an awsome site. I always go there first and then to UrbanPlanet.

As for the museum. The building is incredible. The site should be DOWNTOWN. It is soo frustrating that we have such a leadership vaccuum that no one within the city or state governments can see the extra value the museum would bring if it were built DT. If this were Charlotte, the museum would be the center piece of a huge new center downtown(uptown I guess in Charlotte). A museum row would draw hundreds of thousands of people. Raleigh is already described as the Smithsonian of the South. Lets really make it true.

However, if the museum gods are set on an outdoor park experience then put the museum on the Dix property. Still DT and they get a park experience and the Dix supporters get the grand central park type development they desire.

Raleighing is an awsome site. I always go there first and then to UrbanPlanet.

As for the museum. The building is incredible. The site should be DOWNTOWN. It is soo frustrating that we have such a leadership vaccuum that no one within the city or state governments can see the extra value the museum would bring if it were built DT. If this were Charlotte, the museum would be the center piece of a huge new center downtown(uptown I guess in Charlotte). A museum row would draw hundreds of thousands of people. Raleigh is already described as the Smithsonian of the South. Lets really make it true.

However, if the museum gods are set on an outdoor park experience then put the museum on the Dix property. Still DT and they get a park experience and the Dix supporters get the grand central park type development they desire.

Yeah, this would be a valuable addition to downtown. I like the idea of putting it on the Dix property too.

How do regular people like us get an opportunity to influence decision makers on these types of issues. It has to start somewhere.

I guess we can always send them an email, but in the case of the art museum...who knows. There are so many layers of political clout to wade through. You have the museum, the state goverment and the city all with their own agendas and priorities. Personally, I think the mayor would be a good start. Especially with the Dix property. The state already controls the land, so the purchase of property should not be an issue. I think the key would be to offer up alternatives to the existing site. It would make a good location for a Western Wake Community College or another public school Wake County so desperately needs. It is also a great opportunity for some sort of mixed used development.

Looks kinda like a bunch of ice cubes to me. I can't say I'm all that impressed - but these aren't very detailed renderings.

It's different, daring and not beige or brick. I think it works well being that it is an art museum. The museum itself should be a work of art. It will definitely stand out and draw attention to itself which will ultimately bring people through the doors.

Thanks so much, y'all. I got the link from "thewhister"'s post back in the Green Square thread, and just haven't had time to do anything with it until today. Thanks, thewhister, for the link to the architect's site. In this case, are they an artchitect?

The only real bugaboo with that site next to the Hx Museum is that it is confining to future growth. The Dix idea is great, though. It's on the greenway, would be in a park, have rolling hills, have views of downtown, and be ideally located. Maybe we could move these Dix Park people onto the idea of moving the NCMA there.

I guess we can always send them an email, but in the case of the art museum...who knows. There are so many layers of political clout to wade through. You have the museum, the state goverment and the city all with their own agendas and priorities. Personally, I think the mayor would be a good start. Especially with the Dix property. The state already controls the land, so the purchase of property should not be an issue. I think the key would be to offer up alternatives to the existing site. It would make a good location for a Western Wake Community College or another public school Wake County so desperately needs. It is also a great opportunity for some sort of mixed used development.

I could be wrong but somthing tells me the Art museum will not be moving. If you want to change minds, satrt with projects like the Dix property and what could or could not go there but I would leave the art museum out unless you have an extra $50M to throw at the project. They many even name it after you.

AnnGoodnight bought the land at the old detention center and donated to the Art Museum so it most likely will not move. I do think it may be possible to see either a satellite of NCMOA downtown Raleigh. The CAM project should be interesting and may spur more such developments downtown. I like the design and the concept. Richard Florida, the creative class guy, had a decent amount of input on this project.

• 6 months later...

Art museum will be remade with steel, gentle light

Craig Jarvis, Staff Writer

The News & Observer

RALEIGH - The first glimpse of what the N.C. Museum of Art will be in three years arrived Wednesday when architects delivered a model of a satin steel and glass building with an undulating roof that glows at night.

The dream of architecturally adventurous galleries and gardens to hold the permanent collection -- which will soon include 22 Rodin sculptures -- took form after seven years of revisions and financial uncertainty.

The model, to be publicly unveiled today, marks a big step in director Larry Wheeler's campaign to enhance the institution's reputation. By association, the design by internationally known architect Thomas Phifer also raises the Triangle's profile for art and architecture -- coming soon after Rafael Vinoly's design of the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University.

The building is part of a $138 million expansion that includes renovating the current museum and raising $50 million in donations for an endowment. Construction on the 127,000-square-foot building is to begin next month and last 2 1/2 years. The old building will be closed for a short time next fall for renovations.

Most of the 90,000 square feet of walking-around space in the new galleries will be dedicated to a collection of more than 5,000 works -- including the old master paintings for which the museum is known and the bronze Rodin sculptures promised by the Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Foundation. The Cantor gift, which was contingent on new galleries, will make the museum the Southeast's largest repository of Rodin works.

The unveiling today comes less than a month before the opening of "Monet in Normandy," a blockbuster exhibition expected to draw 120,000 visitors.

The museum construction and renovation are an important part of its extension of outdoor art and hiking trails into the 164 acres of fields and pine trees around it.

The undeveloped land makes an unusual museum setting and makes New York-based Thomas Phifer and Partners a natural choice: The firm is known for work with nature and light. The exterior of the one-story building will be glass and a softened stainless steel that reflects subdued colors. Inside, on a white oak floor, visitors will look through glass across galleries and gardens.

See entire article

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/486083.html

Photo Gallery: Sept. 14, 2006: Views of future museum addition

http://www.newsobserver.com/1181/story/485838.html

This would have been the perfect addition to the DIX property overlooking downtown Raleigh. So sad it's located in West Raleigh,(you can't even see it from the road). It's a good thing they have that sign made of stone to let people know that they are there, otherwise no one would know. I think it's location in West Raleigh makes the point that the state owned/s the land, why else would it be there and not downtown with the other museums were it belongs? I have to say that it's a shame that Larry Wheeler wasn't involved in its creation, I think he could have talked the state/city into having it located downtown. :huh:

I know! I know! What's done is done! :(

I just find this funny that this was announced today. I say that as I wonder if the timing had anything to do with Pensa piece being dropped. There are a lot of Art supporters, especially the big $$ supporters (like Goodman and the Goodnights) and I just wonder if this was announced right as the DT project folded to say to the contributing arts communities "don't go negative and don't stop your support.....especially financially."

or maybe some sort of "counter-balance" or "attention redirection"

Larry Wheeler had his hands in both of them and has a lot to loose if the millionaires decide to go elsewhere or to other projects. Not to mention the average bloke like you or I.

Although I am sure Mr. Wheeler fishes in bigger seas than just Raleigh for that support.

I wish I was excited about this announcement, but it's just the death of my dream that one day the state would realize it's mistake and move the museum back downtown where it belongs. I'm sure this will be a world class facility that the region can be proud of, but I think the city and the museum fall short of their potential with the suburban west Raleigh location. There are many stakeholders in this city, its a shame there is not one unified commitment and vision for downtown Raleigh. This is why we end up with one of the rare suburban art museums in the world instead of locating it on the Dix property (like DwnTwnRaleighGuy mentioned) and helping create a truly vibrant and exceptional urban park.

This constant lack of vision will not stop Raleigh from growing and prospering, but it will prevent us from ever reaching our full potential as a well planned, world class city IMHO.

I agree with most of what is being said regarding the Art Museum and Raleigh leadership. I too wish that that NCMA was located downtown. However, a friend of mine involved with arts in NC did mention that while she wished it was downtown, its current location in the burbs does allow for outdoor sculptures and exhibits, something other art museums cannot provide given their locations.

I agree with pdxheel, what the NCMA has been able to do with the space it has is really unique. The outdoor sculptures, walking trails (leading to the bridge over the beltline) and gardens that are still under construction are a wonderful characteristic of the museum and help to bring people to the space and celebrate the beauty of the local landscape.

I agree with most of what is being said regarding the Art Museum and Raleigh leadership. I too wish that that NCMA was located downtown. However, a friend of mine involved with arts in NC did mention that while she wished it was downtown, its current location in the burbs does allow for outdoor sculptures and exhibits, something other art museums cannot provide given their locations.

But this museum and its outside exhibits WOULD be perfect on the Dix property! :D

But this museum and its outside exhibits WOULD be perfect on the Dix property!

Had Dix been available way back when NCMA was moved to West Raleigh. As I have said before, I really like the current location, as it allows for art to be shown at the ampitheater, in the woods, etc. Not just in a big downtown building. We visit it much more than we would if it had just been a building.

Does anyone know if there are EVER going to build the Contemporary Art Museum downtown?

Had Dix been available way back when NCMA was moved to West Raleigh. As I have said before, I really like the current location, as it allows for art to be shown at the ampitheater, in the woods, etc. Not just in a big downtown building. We visit it much more than we would if it had just been a building.

Does anyone know if there are EVER going to build the Contemporary Art Museum downtown?

Yes, the west Raleigh location is among trees, but not a forest. The Dix site also has trees and rolling hills. Iho Dix provides the best location. It has the environment and downtown location. It doesn't have to be in some "big box". There is plenty of room to expand and be open. Let us not forget about the recent look at Dix for several purposes instead of just one, what could be better? I believe that for a lot of people going to museums also includes eating and other site seeing. Downtown is the place for this and how many downtowns have the land that Dix does to add something as innovative as the Art museum? The west Raleigh location is car dependent and it sole other positive is it's location on the cities trail sytem,(also available downtown). Again, I do realize that all of this is probably for not, but just more logical considering all points. :)

• 1 month later...

I was reading that part of this project would be renovating the old museum building but have not seen any renderings of this. Anyone seen anything? I think the total cost is $138 million but I know only $90 something million is going towards the new buildings.

Archived