• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Governor Riley attempts to break up the incompetence

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

By KEITH CLINES

Times Staff Writer [email protected]

Riley moves up work 5 years to 2007 citing influx of jobs

Verizon Wireless' announcement that it will build an office in Thornton Research Park is bringing benefits in addition to 1,300 jobs.

Gov. Bob Riley said Friday that the widening of Old Madison Pike from Cummings Research Park to Slaughter Road will be moved up from 2012 to next year partly because of a hot economic development climate here.

Cummings and Thornton research parks share a west border and are separated only by Old Madison Pike.

Governor Riley attempts to break up the incompetence

By KEITH CLINES

Times Staff Writer [email protected]

Riley moves up work 5 years to 2007 citing influx of jobs

Verizon Wireless' announcement that it will build an office in Thornton Research Park is bringing benefits in addition to 1,300 jobs.

Gov. Bob Riley said Friday that the widening of Old Madison Pike from Cummings Research Park to Slaughter Road will be moved up from 2012 to next year partly because of a hot economic development climate here.

Cummings and Thornton research parks share a west border and are separated only by Old Madison Pike.

It's nice to see that things are being moved earlier for priority. But, something about this hints that ALDOT may not keep it's promises. "drainage problems"

• 4 weeks later...

ALDOT's latest attempt at promising roads. This project is already 2 years behind what was originally

promised. Why just two lanes in each direction? Three are needed, now.

The improvements would include a four-lane limited-access highway with a concrete divider in the median from where the existing limited-access highway ends at the top of Chapman Mountain to east of Shields Road.

Service roads would run on each side of the highway, and U.S. 72 would have overpasses at the interchanges at Moores Mill and Shields roads, according to the Alabama Department of Transportation plans.

Construction could start in late 2009 or early 2010 and take about two years to complete, said Curtis Vincent, assistant division engineer for the DOT's Division 1 office.

The 1.6-mile project could cost up to $30 million, he said.

ALDOT stupid lack of signs. Have seen this happen many times.

A car with Hamilton County TN tags(Chattanooga) travelling east on I-565.

Remember people drive through HSV that don't live here, even though ALDOT

does not understand this concept. Anyhow imagine if you will being in this cars

situation, let's assume they are going to Chatty, US 72 is the road to look for,

what's this I-565? No destination signs till after the Parkway, but a US 72 exit

at Jordan Lane, which with some hesitation this traveller took. No doubt thinking this would

be correct, not realizing that I-565 turns into US 72.

How about going westbound on I-565 over Chapman Mountain, no Downtown HSV signs

(which this spur was built to connect) just Athens and Decatur??? I-565 doesn't connect to Decatur.

What city am I in? Where does the Parkway go? No one knows. What if you want to get to Monte Sano State Park from the interstate? Good luck.

ALDOT's excuse is always Federal rules which seem to only apply when they don't want to correct mistakes.

Stupidity at work here, how many times does this have to be done.

The Governor, army generals, Bud Cramer, along with local officials have blasted ALDOT

on it's "scheduling" issues.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/kcl....xml&coll=1

Construction on the South Memorial Parkway overpass at Whitesburg Drive and Weatherly Road is not scheduled to begin until 2008, but motorists are already clamoring for it.

"What happened to the overpass project on the South Parkway?" David Kalin asked by e-mail. "All activity seems to have stopped. Other road projects are being accelerated. When will work resume?"

Johnny Harris, the Division 1 engineer for the Alabama Department of Transportation, said construction of the overpass for Whitesburg and Weatherly is his top priority project in this area.

The service roads for the overpass are complete and the state is trying to finish the final design for the overpass, Harris said.

"We're hoping to move that project up" from the 2008 scheduled start, Harris said.

Harris put the overpass as the top priority when DOT officials in Montgomery asked him to submit a list of area highway projects in order of importance.

They don't already know these things?? Talk about being out of touch, Remember ALDOT is the master of delay and not having the funds, even though these projects are all funded.

situation, let's assume they are going to Chatty, US 72 is the road to look for,

what's this I-565? No destination signs till after the Parkway, but a US 72 exit

at Jordan Lane, which with some hesitation this traveller took. No doubt thinking this would

(which this spur was built to connect) just Athens and Decatur??? I-565 doesn't connect to Decatur.

What city am I in? Where does the Parkway go? No one knows. What if you want to get to Monte Sano State Park from the interstate? Good luck.

ALDOT's excuse is always Federal rules which seem to only apply when they don't want to correct mistakes.

Maybe we should rename this the "I hate ALDOT Thread".

This project is already 2 years behind what was originally

promised. Why just two lanes in each direction? Three are needed, now.

The improvements would include a four-lane limited-access highway with a concrete divider in the median from where the existing limited-access highway ends at the top of Chapman Mountain to east of Shields Road.

Service roads would run on each side of the highway, and U.S. 72 would have overpasses at the interchanges at Moores Mill and Shields roads, according to the Alabama Department of Transportation plans.

Construction could start in late 2009 or early 2010 and take about two years to complete...

I've told you guys that ALDOT has the money because most of the road work that needs improvement in the state are federal highway or interstates. The ALDOT is NOT broke by a long shot and don't be fooled into believing that crap. They have a tendency to sit on federal money and gain interest on for personal pet projects of many legislators. It doesn't make any sense as why ALDOT does both of the most progressive areas of the state like Huntsville-Decatur and Greater Birmingham the ways they do.

I've told you guys that ALDOT has the money because most of the road work that needs improvement in the state are federal highway or interstates. The ALDOT is NOT broke by a long shot and don't be fooled into believing that crap. They have a tendency to sit on federal money and gain interest on for personal pet projects of many legislators. It doesn't make any sense as why ALDOT does both of the most progressive areas of the state like Huntsville-Decatur and Greater Birmingham the ways they do.

Lol, I don't worry about the money. Cause, you're very right, they got all the money they need. But, in Decatur, ALDOT seems to have a lot of "drainage problems" to plan. I really don't understand why. Decatur has the least amount of flooding I've ever seen.

ALDOT promised this road widening 5 years ago. Then they blamed the delay on the Chapman Mountain project. Now, three years after Chapman Mountain was completed, they blame the delay on "right of way issues." Meanwhile, numerous people have been killed along Winchester Road in the years that ALDOT has procrastinated.

The work should start in the spring, though I will believe it when I see it.

I will say this, you guys in up here in Huntsville-Decatur are at luck enough to have service and access roads along your single busiest cooridor. We've been begging for service roads along US280 for years and have yet to see anything besides a plan for urban interchanges at 10 intersections.

very creative

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/kcl....xml&coll=1

Huntsville Times

For almost 13 years the east end of Interstate 565 was just past the Oakwood Avenue exit until the interchange at Maysville Road/U.S. 72 was completed in summer 2004.

With any luck, it will be eight years between the opening of the Maysville Road/U.S. 72 interchange and the completion of the planned limited access extension past Shields Road.

About 50 people attended an Alabama Department of Transportation public meeting Thursday night to see the plans for extending the limited access on U.S. 72 about 1.6 miles from its end on Chapman Mountain.

The new four-lane highaway with concrete dividers in the median will have overpasses on U.S. 72 at Moores Mill and Shields roads.

The DOT hopes to finish the corridor study, which includes choosing between two alternatives as the final plan, in the spring and start the final design, said Curtis Vincent, assistant division engineer for the DOT's Division 1 office.

The DOT hopes to begin buying right of way in late 2007 or 2008, and start construction in late 2009 or early 2010, Vincent said. Construction could take two years.

The project could cost close to $30 million, including $20 million plus for construction and $7 million or $8 million for right of way acquisition.

"Right of way is going to be expensive," Vincent said.

Have any of you taken a look at Huntsville's Transportation Plan (PDF)? If all of this comes to fruition, Huntsville will have quite an extensive freeway network.

Moores Mill Road link in works

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Huntsville Times

Behind the scenes, work is beginning to build a service road on the south side of U.S. 72 to connect Moores Mill Road and High Mountain Road on Chapman Mountain.

The road is among the public improvement projects included in the latest tax increment financing district approved by local governments in the fall.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/kcl...&thispage=2

hmm Maybe the city of Huntsville can do things faster than Aldot.

Moores Mill Road link in works

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Huntsville Times

Behind the scenes, work is beginning to build a service road on the south side of U.S. 72 to connect Moores Mill Road and High Mountain Road on Chapman Mountain.

The road is among the public improvement projects included in the latest tax increment financing district approved by local governments in the fall.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/kcl...&thispage=2

hmm Maybe the city of Huntsville can do things faster than Aldot.

Actually, I-565 does end in Decatur. It extends a few hundred feet into the city limits so that further expansions can be made without to much arguement about one city expanding a road on another city's property.

The reason it hasn't been started yet might be because other projects are considered higher priorities. Have you ever tried to drive down Alabama 20 into Decatur between the hours of 4:30 and 6:00???

Archived