Huntsville Highways and Roads

aupatt10

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I don't know. I try to avoid that area as much as possible. It would be great to have a traffic light at that intersection, considering how backed up it is in the morning.

I do know that the county is putting a traffic light at Shields and Jordan, and they will also widen Jordan to three lanes for some distance. That work should begin this summer.

^I don't know. I try to avoid that area as much as possible. It would be great to have a traffic light at that intersection, considering how backed up it is in the morning.

I do know that the county is putting a traffic light at Shields and Jordan, and they will also widen Jordan to three lanes for some distance. That work should begin this summer.

Yet another delay

Research Park overpass

The Alabama Department of Transportation has delayed the extension of Research Park Boulevard to Alabama 53, including an overpass over Alabama 53, to next year.

Johnny Harris, the Division 1 engineer for the DOT, said the project was moved to the 2008 budget year, which begins Oct. 1, because the money was not available for construction this year.

The project would involve extending the main lanes of Research Park Boulevard from where they end just north of Plummer Road through the Alabama 53 intersection. An overpass on Research Park Boulevard would be built over Alabama 53. The plans for the extension do not include on and off ramps for Blake Bottom Road, Harris said.

Ugh, give take, give take, give, and maybe take. How bout we all just go to some charities, donate about $30 Million to one. Then one night, we sneak into the charity, steal $30 Million back, because now we realize there's some other charity that's building a flower garden down the street and we want them to have it. Oh, and while we're at it, why don't we pay ourselves about $5 Million for this hefty task. Let about $10 Million get taking away because we were supposed to match the funding by order of the federal government, but, we didn't, cause we waited too long. Oh, then, we need to give to another charity on our car ride over to give to the second charity, that's another $3 Million. But, we have to throw the money to them because there's a bridge out between us and the third charity. But, oops, the money fell into a creek, because, the road that the third charity was standing on doesn't extend far enough for the third charity to run and catch it. That's another $3 Million down the drain. So, we're left with $12 Million. Oops, we missplaced $5 Million in the glove compartment while we were trying to find change to pay to travel over the only bridge over the largest river in the area. Then we use $2 Million to go on a retreat on our way to donate the money to the second charity, because the car ride was getting oh so stressful. Then, we realize that we're running low on gas, and spent another $3 Million on gas because the interchange that we had been on was very unorganized and we spent too much gas driving through it. Then we finally get to the 2nd charity, and we have $2 million left to give. But, oops, it's pay day. By by money!

^Almost nothing is being done by our state representatives. The closest attempt to getting some money is Randy Hinshaw's bill that would allow more of the TVA money given to the state each year to come to Madison County. He earmarked the extra money to a different road project annually for the next 10 years. These road projects included Winchester Road, the Northern Bypass, and Old Madison Pike. But the TVA money will only pay for a portion of the projects. The other state representatives and senators, however, have not done a thing to get road money up here.

The federal delegation, however, has been doing a great job in getting money for transportation projects here. I know that Senator Shelby got money for the UAH (and maybe Bridge Street) "intermodal centers." Bud Cramer has been getting money for the Southern Bypass/Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta highway and the new I-65 Tanner interchange.

The federal delegation, however, has been doing a great job in getting money for transportation projects here. I know that Senator Shelby got money for the UAH (and maybe Bridge Street) "intermodal centers." Bud Cramer has been getting money for the Southern Bypass/Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta highway and the new I-65 Tanner interchange.

ALDOT gives Birmimgham grief, too, which is so disfunctional we don't need more.

ALDOT wants to double-deck Hwy. 280, which no one wants and is totally rediculous.

Given the booming populations in and around Huntsville and Decatur, the Tennessee Valley should be Montgomery's #1 priority when it comes to transportation issues.

The Birmingham community seemingly could care less, so our monies should go up there to y'all.

ALDOT gives Birmimgham grief, too, which is so disfunctional we don't need more.

ALDOT wants to double-deck Hwy. 280, which no one wants and is totally rediculous.

Given the booming populations in and around Huntsville and Decatur, the Tennessee Valley should be Montgomery's #1 priority when it comes to transportation issues.

The Birmingham community seemingly could care less, so our monies should go up there to y'all.

• 2 weeks later...
As far as state priorities, I think that the Birmingham Northern Beltline, US 280, Memorial Parkway Extension, and the I-565 extension into Decatur are near the top of the list as far as importance goes. Traffic is horrible in both Decatur and Huntsville. Huntsville has interchanges, lucky them, Decatur has ONE interchange that function's ok, but, all the roads narrow to one lane and they pretty much defeat the purpose. So, with the 565 extension, the roads would have to be widened, problem solved.

But, ALDOT doesn't care. So, the above doesn't matter.

Hey HsvTiger u said the county was supposed to be putting a traffic light at Jordan Road /Shields this summer and widening Jordan road when is this supposed to happen. IMO shields/jordan intersection needed a light more than Ryland Pike /Jordan.. maybe im wrong though but that 4 way stop is horrible in the morning at shields

WHNT 19 did a feature on the heavy traffic on US 72/I-565 over Chapman Mountain.

Residents are complaining and worried about the difficulty of going westbound out of the subdivision.

They basically can't get out during rush hours and have to take the scenic route through neighborhoods.

It points out the stupidity and poor planning of this road..not enough lanes, poor visibility, lack of adequate signs,

and dangerous intersections. This road should have been at least 6 lanes and the overpass at Moores Mill/ Shields Rd. should already be under

construction. Maybe if and when it will solve this problem, think it's bad now wait till when all the retail development begins over

the mountain.

I have a friend that works at ALDot she said its not them its the state and its politicans they just do whatever they are told.

did I say that? I don't remember and too lazy to go back through the posts. In any case I agree with you, the road situations in HSV/Madison County is reaching critical ineptness and we are at the mercy of ALDOT who really isn't sure if Madison County is in Tennessee or Alabama.

I've noticed lately there is an awful lot of trash on the median of 565 ... including almost any item you care to mention from truck retreads to boxes to just general junk. Does the city (or state) never clean the roadway? Do they not have street sweepers?

The freeway is the front door to the city, and that mess must can't be too impressive to either residents or visitors (many of whom are considering moving here).

I've noticed lately there is an awful lot of trash on the median of 565 ... including almost any item you care to mention from truck retreads to boxes to just general junk. Does the city (or state) never clean the roadway? Do they not have street sweepers?

The freeway is the front door to the city, and that mess must can't be too impressive to either residents or visitors (many of whom are considering moving here).

Although it is a statewide problem, ALDOT has basically left it up to the local governments to clean up their roadways. We have this major problem around Greater Birmingham, but in recent months the local governments around here have taken the effort upon themselves to keep the roadway medians and shoulders clean of litter. In all likelihood, the culpit in this situation is probably Madison County.

I see the street sweepers every once in a while when I am driving home at night on the elevated portion of 565. And when I am going to work in the morning, there are prisoners from the city jail cleaning up the sides of the highway. 565's trash problem isn't that bad- I've seen worse elsewhere. Besides, you can't really see the trash when you're driving 85 mph. :)

What really irks me about ALDOT's roadside maintenance and upkeep is their inability to mow the grass on "state-maintained" roads. That IMO can be a lot more hazardous than trash.

BRAC road study paints grim picture if needs not met

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/kcl....xml&coll=1

But even without BRAC, the study said, area roads are already heading for worse congestion even if the MPO's 2030 transportation improvement plan of 114 road projects is fully implemented. The study recommends that the MPO pursue full "build-out" of the 2030 long-range plan and that it add 11 projects to the plan at an estimated cost of $122 million in today's dollars.

The 11 road-widening projects and their estimated cost are:

Research Park Boulevard to six lanes from Interstate 565 to University Drive, $7.2 million.

Advertisement

Eastview Drive to five lanes from Slaughter Road to Hughes Road, $6.6 million.

Wall Triana Highway to five lanes from Capshaw Road to Nick Davis Road, $8.1 million.

Mount Lebanon Road to five lanes from the northern bypass to Grimwood Road, $14.9 million.

U.S. 72 East to six lanes from Oakwood Avenue to the eastern bypass, $17.1 million.

Martin Road to five lanes from Zierdt Road to Rideout Road on Redstone Arsenal, $8.13 million.

Interstate 565 to six lanes from Interstate 65 to Wall Triana Highway, $36.5 million.

Blake Bottom Road to five lanes from Jeff Road to Indian Creek Road, $5.04 million.

Jordan Lane/Patton Road to five and seven lanes from University Drive to Redstone Road on the arsenal, $7.81 million.

Old Madison Pike to five lanes from Slaughter Road to Hughes Road, $6.7 million.

Pulaski Pike to five lanes from Patterson Lane to Beaver Dam Road, $3.9 million.

Hey some people need to show up and express the concerns that have been brought up in this forum.

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=6640588&nav=0hBE

The Alabama Department of Transportation has announced a series of public involvement meetings to be held statewide as part of development of the Statewide Transportation Plan update (SWTP).

The Plan looks 20 years into the future and anticipates future transportation needs. ALDOT updates the plan every five years.

People who live in North Alabama will get a chance to express their ideas and concerns on Tuesday, July 10 at the Huntsville Main Library on Monroe Street. The meeting is expected to begin at 4:00 p.m. and end at 6:00 p.m.

If widening roads is looked at like the primary solution to these traffic issues, then it will never get better. I've yet to see a fast growning community keep up with road construction. Personally, I think the main solutions in this area is to entice people to live closer to their place of employment. Less distance commuting means less traffic on the roads. Good schools, nice parks, recreation and entertainment options would help. Widening roads needs to be done in some cases, but in many cases it is a band aid, not a cure.

The Alabama Department of Transportation has announced a series of public involvement meetings to be held statewide as part of development of the Statewide Transportation Plan update (SWTP).

The Plan looks 20 years into the future and anticipates future transportation needs. ALDOT updates the plan every five years.

Archived