Huntsville Highways and Roads

aupatt10

I wouldn't bet on any actual construction happening before 2009.

In other news, the city council approved the Intermodal Center and Parking Garage (or, simply, a Park and Ride) that will be located at Bridge Street. It looks like from the article that there will be new Shuttle bus routes to CRP West and the vicinity as a result. Actual routes will not be chosen until later this year, when Bridge Street opens. The developer is paying for the construction of the 1100 space park and ride, and they will be paid back by the city as soon as federal money comes in.

Huntsville Times article: http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Park and Ride"? I get the "Park" part, it's a parking deck. And I get the "ride" part, there are going to be buses stopping at BS. But other than that, the "Park and Ride" concept seems to break down for me. Why would I Park at BS and ride a bus anywhere else? The whole reason I would take a bus TO BridgeSteet is to avoid trying to find a parking place!

I do think it is a really good idea for UAH though, and I am glad they are doing it.

Maybe when they start putting Intermodal Centers out near the Suburbs it will make more sense.

MADISON -- Local officials were encouraged by news they heard Tuesday that

the Alabama Department of Transportation is developing a road corridor

linking Interstate 65 to Alabama 20 near Hillsboro.

The 14.5-mile highway will be part of the long-discussed Memphis-to-Atlanta

super highway. The price tag for that stretch was estimated at just over

$550 million.

The section has been placed on a priority list for the massive road project

that would ultimately connect Memphis with Atlanta.

Shoals leaders say expediting the project could open up the area for more

economic development.

The officials were attending an update on the Memphis-to-Atlanta Highway

hosted by the Huntsville-Madison County Airport Authority at the Four Points

Sheraton Hotel, located at the airport.

Florence Times Daily

This is quite laughable but at least city officials are trying. How quick you think that the booklet the city provided

will get "misplaced"?

I bet if truth be known, Governor Riley probably ordered McInnes to meet with Spencer after his recent visits to the city to announce

groundbreakings and attending the Cattlemans convention.

"Spencer said McInnes asked a few weeks ago if he could meet with her to learn what road projects the city thinks are the most important.

City staff members made a presentation to McInnes and Vaughn during the meeting and gave McInnes a booklet with facts and figures about local road needs.

"He said he would take that back and see what he could do," Spencer said.

The service roads for Parkway overpasses at Weatherly Road and Whitesburg Drive and at Max Luther and Sparkman drives have been completed. But construction is not scheduled to begin until 2008 for the Weatherly-Whitesburg overpass and 2009 for the Max Luther-Sparkman overpass.

Spencer said she hopes the state will move up the start of construction to this year.

"I want to complete that," Spencer said of the overpasses. "I told him that was a high priority."

Other road projects discussed Monday included the Patriot Parkway and the northern bypass.

Patriot Parkway, also called the southern bypass, would cross Redstone Arsenal from Interstate 565 at Research Park Boulevard to Memorial Parkway at Hobbs Island Road.

Spencer said she would like for the phase of Patriot Parkway from I-565 to Martin Road on the arsenal to be built first.

State DOT officials have said Congress will have to appropriate money specifically for the project, estimated to cost as much as $500 million, for construction to begin.

The northern bypass would extend the four-lane divided highway from near Pulaski Pike and the Toyota plant to U.S. 231/431. No timetable has been set for that project"

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

I think the 565/72 east extension should be a priority as well.. As well as Winchester and 53 widening

This is quite laughable but at least city officials are trying. How quick you think that the booklet the city provided

will get "misplaced"?

I bet if truth be known, Governor Riley probably ordered McInnes to meet with Spencer after his recent visits to the city to announce

groundbreakings and attending the Cattlemans convention.

"Spencer said McInnes asked a few weeks ago if he could meet with her to learn what road projects the city thinks are the most important.

City staff members made a presentation to McInnes and Vaughn during the meeting and gave McInnes a booklet with facts and figures about local road needs.

"He said he would take that back and see what he could do," Spencer said.

The service roads for Parkway overpasses at Weatherly Road and Whitesburg Drive and at Max Luther and Sparkman drives have been completed. But construction is not scheduled to begin until 2008 for the Weatherly-Whitesburg overpass and 2009 for the Max Luther-Sparkman overpass.

Spencer said she hopes the state will move up the start of construction to this year.

"I want to complete that," Spencer said of the overpasses. "I told him that was a high priority."

Other road projects discussed Monday included the Patriot Parkway and the northern bypass.

Patriot Parkway, also called the southern bypass, would cross Redstone Arsenal from Interstate 565 at Research Park Boulevard to Memorial Parkway at Hobbs Island Road.

Spencer said she would like for the phase of Patriot Parkway from I-565 to Martin Road on the arsenal to be built first.

State DOT officials have said Congress will have to appropriate money specifically for the project, estimated to cost as much as $500 million, for construction to begin.

The northern bypass would extend the four-lane divided highway from near Pulaski Pike and the Toyota plant to U.S. 231/431. No timetable has been set for that project"

this is adjacent to the airport which will also be a big benefactor if this thing if ever built.

South of I-565 and west of County Line is the location of planned third runway. It is in this area

that the Memphis/Huntsville/Atlanta freeway will link up with I-565.

Huntsville Times

The design of entrance and exit ramps at Interstate 565 and County Line Road is expected to begin soon.

The Metropolitan Planning Organization last week amended its transportation improvement plan to include $940,000 in federal money for the design. Madison will contribute $104,000 to the work, which brings it to a total of just more than $1 million.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/kcl....xml&coll=1

Once again a wreck shuts down a federal highway into Huntsville, because the state has

ignored the problem. This road should be at LEAST 6 lanes to the Tennessee state line.

It's still the 4 lane goat path it was 40 years ago, with bad sight angles no or poor turn lanes

zero lighting, no directional or road marker signs that can be seen, it's a sorry pathetic excuse

for a major highway.

NewsChannel 19's Amber Stuart reports:

A wreck on Highway 231 in Meridianville is a reminder that this area is growing, and drivers should pay close attention to the roads.

It may sound strange, but one accident happened right at the entrance of a new construction zone of a subdivision between work vehicles. The subdivision is Inspiration Pointe.

"One vehicle was stopped in the turning lane waiting to turn in and the vehicle that was in the rear, for some reason, struck the vehicle waiting behind the vehicle," said Alabama State Trooper Earl Wootson.

Inspiration Pointe is a new subdivision under construction off of Highway 231 near Bob Wade Lane. A truck loaded with drywall crashed into a plumbing truck headed north. Construction vehicles are a familiar sight in booming Madison County.

and from WAAY

Alabama State Troopers had their hands full on Wednesday afternoon following a violent collision between two trucks on Highway 231/431 in Hazel Green.

The road was shut down in both directions leading to a massive traffic backup. Police have not released any names at this point, but say at least one driver is in critical condition.

http://www.waaytv.com/cgi-bin/shownews.cgi?id=3645

Not to fear help is on the way.. I believe the overpasses are now scheduled for like 2025 on that part of the parkway

Once again a wreck shuts down a federal highway into Huntsville, because the state has

ignored the problem. This road should be at LEAST 6 lanes to the Tennessee state line.

It's still the 4 lane goat path it was 40 years ago, with bad sight angles no or poor turn lanes

zero lighting, no directional or road marker signs that can be seen, it's a sorry pathetic excuse

for a major highway.

NewsChannel 19's Amber Stuart reports:

A wreck on Highway 231 in Meridianville is a reminder that this area is growing, and drivers should pay close attention to the roads.

It may sound strange, but one accident happened right at the entrance of a new construction zone of a subdivision between work vehicles. The subdivision is Inspiration Pointe.

"One vehicle was stopped in the turning lane waiting to turn in and the vehicle that was in the rear, for some reason, struck the vehicle waiting behind the vehicle," said Alabama State Trooper Earl Wootson.

Inspiration Pointe is a new subdivision under construction off of Highway 231 near Bob Wade Lane. A truck loaded with drywall crashed into a plumbing truck headed north. Construction vehicles are a familiar sight in booming Madison County.

and from WAAY

Alabama State Troopers had their hands full on Wednesday afternoon following a violent collision between two trucks on Highway 231/431 in Hazel Green.

The road was shut down in both directions leading to a massive traffic backup. Police have not released any names at this point, but say at least one driver is in critical condition.

http://www.waaytv.com/cgi-bin/shownews.cgi?id=3645

Bridge Street work to affect Old Madison Pike for 4-6 months

Road construction on Old Madison Pike near the new Bridge Street retail development will hamper traffic in the area for four-to-six months beginning Monday, Huntsville's city engineering department said today.

ALDOT using all the tricks

Nobody can delay a project better than these guys, ya think somebody would have known this sooner?

TVA did in 1930

Archeological concerns delay bridge project in Scottsboro

SCOTTSBORO - Archaeological concerns have delayed the bid opening on a project to replace the B.B. Comer Bridge in Scottsboro, said Johnny Harris, Division 1 Engineer for the Alabama Department of Transportation.

Harris said Friday the date was moved from March 28 until April 27 because of

ALDOT using all the tricks

Nobody can delay a project better than these guys, ya think somebody would have known this sooner?

TVA did in 1930

Archeological concerns delay bridge project in Scottsboro

SCOTTSBORO - Archaeological concerns have delayed the bid opening on a project to replace the B.B. Comer Bridge in Scottsboro, said Johnny Harris, Division 1 Engineer for the Alabama Department of Transportation.

Harris said Friday the date was moved from March 28 until April 27 because of

Three possible routes for the Memphis-to-Atlanta highway between Memorial Parkway and U.S. 431 met mixed reviews Thursday night when they were unveiled by the Alabama Department of Transportation.

"The state has enough money to get that far, but does not have the money to buy the right of way or build the road, Harris said.

The early estimate is that construction alone would cost $80 million, he said.

The money for the rest of the work would have to come in a special appropriation from Congress, Harris said.

Because officials don't know when Congress might find the money, the DOT has no schedule for right-of-way acquisition or construction."

Unless the state requests the funds and pushes for it, they probably won't receive it. ALDOT will do as little as possible.

Congress will fund this project, years of stalling and excuses remain.

Alabama dissapoints me

Three possible routes for the Memphis-to-Atlanta highway between Memorial Parkway and U.S. 431 met mixed reviews Thursday night when they were unveiled by the Alabama Department of Transportation.

"The state has enough money to get that far, but does not have the money to buy the right of way or build the road, Harris said.

The early estimate is that construction alone would cost $80 million, he said.

The money for the rest of the work would have to come in a special appropriation from Congress, Harris said.

Because officials don't know when Congress might find the money, the DOT has no schedule for right-of-way acquisition or construction."

Unless the state requests the funds and pushes for it, they probably won't receive it. ALDOT will do as little as possible.

Congress will fund this project, years of stalling and excuses remain.

It seems that Madison is going full steam ahead with the County Line Road interchange on I-565.

$104,000 allotted for County Line Road interchange

The Madison City Council is paying ALDOT $104K for the preliminary engineering work associated with this interchange. They are pushing this interchange and they will at all cost get this thing constructed and completed.

Also, the article discusses how Madison has alotted $249K for the intersection of Hughes Road and Brownsferry Road/Old Madison Pike involved in the widening of Hughes Road to 5-lanes.

It seems that Madison is going full steam ahead with the County Line Road interchange on I-565.

$104,000 allotted for County Line Road interchange

The Madison City Council is paying ALDOT $104K for the preliminary engineering work associated with this interchange. They are pushing this interchange and they will at all cost get this thing constructed and completed.

Also, the article discusses how Madison has alotted $249K for the intersection of Hughes Road and Brownsferry Road/Old Madison Pike involved in the widening of Hughes Road to 5-lanes.

I am a big supporter of Intelligent Transportation Systems, so this was great news for me. This is the first out of over a hundred traffic cams planned for the Huntsville area. From the Huntsville Times

City debuts Governors Drive traffic cam

The City of Huntsville debuted a live Governors Drive “traffic cam” today on the city Web site.

The live video feed points eastward down Governors Drive from Monroe Street, so residents heading into the medical district can see potential traffic problems resulting from the ongoing Governors Drive widening project, said Denise Taylor, spokeswoman for Mayor Loretta Spencer.

There’s a link to the traffic cam on the city’s home page, www.hsvcity.com, or link directly to it by pointing your Web browser to www.hsvcity.com/traffic.php.

Taylor said the city plans to install further cameras around town on major thoroughfares.

• 2 weeks later...

MONTGOMERY - Legislation has been prepared that would spend roughly $800,000 of Madison County's new revenue from the Tennessee Valley Authority on Winchester Road.

However, the proposed bill drew a complaint Monday from Madison's mayor, who said his city has been forgotten by the local lawmakers.

Hinshaw said Monday he hopes the money can be used to attract federal matching money to speed up work in fiscal 2007-08 on Winchester Road from Old Dominion Circle to Naugher Road.

"We sat down with the city of Huntsville and negotiated what the most critical needs were," he said.

Research Park Blvd ramp work planned

"The ramps from Research Park Boulevard to Old Madison Pike that are now one lane will be widened to three lanes just past the curve, said Chris Lovoy, a project manager with Reed Contracting.

The ramps from Old Madison Pike to Research Park Boulevard will be widened from one lane to two lanes before reverting to one lane at Research Park Boulevard, Lovoy said.

The project also includes installing traffic signals at the ramps."

• 3 weeks later...

Statewide but this is funny for some reason, what has ALDOT been doing for the last 30 years. Did a lightbulb just come on somewhere?

"MONTGOMERY, Ala. Governor Riley told a transportation conference today in Montgomery that the state must consider toll roads, particularly in highly congested areas.

Former Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta gave the conference the same advice. Mineta said toll roads are prominent in other countries and are beginning to become more common in the United States."

Statewide but this is funny for some reason, what has ALDOT been doing for the last 30 years. Did a lightbulb just come on somewhere?

"MONTGOMERY, Ala. Governor Riley told a transportation conference today in Montgomery that the state must consider toll roads, particularly in highly congested areas.

Former Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta gave the conference the same advice. Mineta said toll roads are prominent in other countries and are beginning to become more common in the United States."

you just have to wonder why ALDOT is constantly making things difficult. You would think cities were taking something from them.

Their attitude should be " we will do whatever it takes and and as quick as possible to meet the transportation needs of this state, and

eliminate as much foot dragging and red tape as possible"

oh well, we can dream

you just have to wonder why ALDOT is constantly making things difficult. You would think cities were taking something from them.

Their attitude should be " we will do whatever it takes and and as quick as possible to meet the transportation needs of this state, and

eliminate as much foot dragging and red tape as possible"

oh well, we can dream

• 2 weeks later...

Not much but it will be lost in ALDOT's priority project system.

The Alabama House passed without debate today legislation that would help pay for local road work from Madison County's portion of Tennessee Valley Authority payments in lieu of property taxes through fiscal 2017.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2007/05/house_...l_for_coun.html

Archived