where to work wirelessly

jencoleslaw

sometimes, i really want to get out of the office, but i need to work. Where can me and the trusty laptop companion go for a nice cuppa tea or a stiff (depending on whether it is before or after 8 am) downtown? Someplace that doesn't charge for wireless would be good because if i have to pay for it i might as well just suffer at the office.

thanks in advance.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's free wireless at my house if you know the password. Actually, there's free wireless to be had here even if you don't know a password.

same here... but you need to know the SSID as well.

there's free wireless in almost any dense neighborhood. you can probably sit on the sidewalk almost anywhere on college hill and pick up free wireless... same goes for that section of elmhurst where PC kids rent.

• 2 weeks later...

The trick with wireless in the starbucks at the Biltmore is to sit as close to the hotel lobby as possible. There is free wireless for the hotel guests (limited I think to the lobby) but the signal loses strength quickly as you go into starbucks. One note: I haven't tried this for about a year so I may be dead wrong - but worth a shot if you're in the neighborhood

• 4 months later...

Three Sisters Cafe (where Maximillian's near Blackstone used to be) has free wifi, although it is really not downtown at all. Jac's Wraps in Pawtucket has free wifi, too. You used to be able to hop onto the neighboring salon's connnection at White Electric, but the salon closed their network, sadly.

Archived