Frankenstein Food

monsoon

One topic we have not discussed but is relevant here is the globalization and industrialization of our food production in this country. Its very harmful to the environment and people as well. Today's warning that people should stop eating bagged spinach immediately is an good example of how factory food can kill you.

Another point, I was in a grocery store here in NC a couple weeks ago. During this time of the year tomatoes can be had from local farms all over the state in great abundance. However in this grocery store, Food Lion, all of the tomatoes were from Canada and were those tasteless plastic things they sell in the winter. The big problem with this is that it takes a great deal of fuel to grow and transport "perfect looking" tomatoes thousands of miles to locations that already have the product.

This is one of the reasons that people ought to strive to eat food that is obtained locally as much as possible.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting this. I missed it on tonight's news, and I swear I was going to put spinach on my sandwich for lunch tomorrow. Not now. :sick:

Michigan is now looking at spending $9.5 Million on a campaign to reposition the image of Michigan produce in the marketplace, which would generate a projected $164 Million in revenue for local farmers. Not to mention push to preserve Michigan farmland. Much of Michigan's produce goes for filler or processed foods, instead of onto fresh food market space.

Michigan Land Use Institute article

Eat Fresh and Grow Jobs Campaign

I remember the term Frankenfoods from my Atkins Diet days. ;) That was the description for any food that isn't in its natural form... anything processed or preserved.

I've always heard that eating honey from your local area helps with allergies, plus local foods usually have less of a shelf life because they don't have as much junk added to them as they know it will sell quickly enough in some cases.

Yeah I guess you can look at it from different angles. You have all the things they do to usual produce to make it look more attractive so people will buy it, like spraying apples so they're shiny. Then you have the items that are genetically engineered. I guess it's not surprise that organic and natural produce are becoming such a huge growing market.

Great, just on the week that I've been on a Spinach kick!! LOL Talking to people at work today about it, there seems to be quite a bit of conflicting information about this problem. Our tax dollars at work again to save us from ourselves!

I agree, buy local and organic as much as possible. Even better, grow what you can yourself! :thumbsup:

You know, I live in NC now as well and it's really strange, but I don't really see many roadside farmer stands around here. Oh they're all over the place in PA, NJ, DE, MD, etc. You can get corn, tomatoes, blueberries, peaches, and more all locally grown. It's really odd that such an agricultural state as NC doesn't have more. Or am I just not aware of them? Perhaps someone can provide an example. Anyway, I think they're a great alternative to nothing but mega grocery store shopping. although you can't get all your food from roadside stands.

You know, I live in NC now as well and it's really strange, but I don't really see many roadside farmer stands around here. Oh they're all over the place in PA, NJ, DE, MD, etc. You can get corn, tomatoes, blueberries, peaches, and more all locally grown. It's really odd that such an agricultural state as NC doesn't have more. Or am I just not aware of them? Perhaps someone can provide an example. Anyway, I think they're a great alternative to nothing but mega grocery store shopping. although you can't get all your food from roadside stands.

There really isn't many roadside stands selling produce in many of the metro areas. Get out into the rural areas though and there are quite a few produce stands. Especially down near Rockingham.

in the northeast, a lot of the grocery stores sell native produce when they can. obviously, there's not enough of it to go around in the cities, but they still try. this was common in my suburban hometown in CT.

the problem with buying organic or more natural foods is that they're more expensive. frankly, i just don't have the money to buy organic, but i do when i can.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a link to the leaders in GM agriculture products, interesting for sure:

Monsanto

I'd like to personally think I don't eat GM foods, but I'd imagine they are working there way into products and ingredients that we aren't necessarily aware of, though I think those products are supposed to be labeled. Here's an interesting story:

Frankengrass

I know it's not food, but still, outlines some of the issues with these "Franken-Plants". I believe it was Monsanto that engineered this grass.

• 3 weeks later...

We try to buy locally farmed stuff whenever possible, just because we like to keep the money in the area. Usually tastes way better, too.

GM foods don't bother me at all, though. If it increases yields and has the potential to feed a lot of people that can't be fed now, then why not? I can see somebody maybe being opposed to it in principle but haven't seen any other reason to make such a ruckus about it as all these eco groups have.

• 2 months later...
Another point, I was in a grocery store here in NC a couple weeks ago. During this time of the year tomatoes can be had from local farms all over the state in great abundance. However in this grocery store, Food Lion, all of the tomatoes were from Canada and were those tasteless plastic things they sell in the winter. The big problem with this is that it takes a great deal of fuel to grow and transport "perfect looking" tomatoes thousands of miles to locations that already have the product.

This is one of the reasons that people ought to strive to eat food that is obtained locally as much as possible.

One topic we have not discussed but is relevant here is the globalization and industrialization of our food production in this country. Its very harmful to the environment and people as well. Today's warning that people should stop eating bagged spinach immediately is an good example of how factory food can kill you.

Archived