Stop Eating Bagged Spinach Now!

monsoon

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breaking news (I guess), another E-coli outbreak at a single Taco John's in Iowa, 14 of which required hospitalization, no minor case. Has this always been news, or is there something not so coincidental about the recent numbers across the country? Hard to say from a single source anymore..

Breaking news (I guess), another E-coli outbreak at a single Taco John's in Iowa, 14 of which required hospitalization, no minor case. Has this always been news, or is there something not so coincidental about the recent numbers across the country? Hard to say from a single source anymore..

No that is not the case. From this report from the FDA on Oct 12th.

FDA and the State of California announced today that test results from the field investigation of the outbreak of E.coli O157:H7 in spinach are positive for E.coli O157:H7. Samples of cattle feces on one of the implicated ranches tested positive based on matching genetic fingerprints for the same strain of E. coli that sickened 199 people.

You said nothing was sprayed on the spinach and suggested this was just part of the normal dangers of growing vegetables as the ground contains e-coli. The investigations indicated the spinich was contaminated by washing the spinach with water that had been contaminated by these feces. I don't know about you, but I don't think it is normal operating procedure to use such water when cleaning produce whether it is bagged or not.

Archived