A New "World Trade Center" in Rogers?

KJW

My wife says there's been some talk of such a building (obviously ain't gonna be no twin towers) that would be coming to Rogers...she says it's been on the news (she thought KNWA/Fox 24) the last two nights?

Anyone see anything on this? Hard to believe it wouldn't have been in the papers. (Hopefully it would put these building guys around here to work...had a customer at our store who said things are really slowing down for the residential contractors.)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the article slyder. :P

Northwest Arkansas possible site for a World Trade Center

Sep 14, 2006 04:46 PM CDT

5 News Online

Local News More >

Economic impact World Trade Center could bring to NWA

FAYETTEVILLE - Officials from the World Trade Center Association have been in northwest Arkansas conducting a feasibility study to determine if northwest Arkansas would make a good location for a World Trade Center building.

The group has been looking at Rogers as a possible location because of its convenient interstate access. The project is in the early stages, and officials say certain details with licensing and membership need to be resolved before they can confirm a World Trade Center being built in the area.

Officials also said that the office of Congressman John Boozman has been working with potential developers. Congressman Boozman's office could not comment on the issue.

The vice president of corporate affairs at Wal-Mart said that he is supportive of the idea of bringing a World Trade Center to the area, and that it could create opportunities for suppliers of all kinds to open up international markets.

The World Trade Center Association was established in 1970, with the first World Trade Centers located in Houston, New Orleans, New York and Tokyo. Now there are nearly 300 World Trade Centers in over 100 countries.

Officials speculate a decision may be made about the center being brought to the area within two to three weeks.

:yahoo::yahoo: This excites me. I wonder how large this building would be. My, I know somehow KJW will make a reference to the WNBA team with this one. :D

OK, really lets ge...........wait :sick:. This is getting a little out of hand. I'm sorry but I highly, very highly, very very very very very highly doubt that a "World Trade Center" of some sort would ever come to Rogers, AR. :sick:

Here's the article slyder. :P

Northwest Arkansas possible site for a World Trade Center

Sep 14, 2006 04:46 PM CDT

5 News Online

Local News More >

Economic impact World Trade Center could bring to NWA

FAYETTEVILLE - Officials from the World Trade Center Association have been in northwest Arkansas conducting a feasibility study to determine if northwest Arkansas would make a good location for a World Trade Center building.

The group has been looking at Rogers as a possible location because of its convenient interstate access. The project is in the early stages, and officials say certain details with licensing and membership need to be resolved before they can confirm a World Trade Center being built in the area.

Officials also said that the office of Congressman John Boozman has been working with potential developers. Congressman Boozman's office could not comment on the issue.

:rofl: Sorry, Slyder, but that's really, hilariously funny! Did your jaw drop when you read that next post? I know mine did! Unbelievable. In all seriousness, though, I have to admit that in the back of my mind is this little bit of hesitancy; I like progress, but good grief! This is just taking things to a whole new level. I don't know if I'm ready for this. When I was reading the article, I kept looking for the "Gotcha!" I really thought is was some kind of joke until I got to the end. Holy cow.

Is it so hard to imagine that a World Trade Center could be located in NWA? Besides Wal-Mart , there are literally THOUSANDS of multi-billion dollar companies with a presence in NWA and many of those are Fortune 500 or Fortune 1,000 companies. They could build a WTC in a bunch of cities to serve those companies or they could build one right here in NWA and kill 5,000 birds with one stone, so to speak.

Interesting news. Maybe I'm wrong on this but don't a number of cities have world trade centers? Granted I think they tend to be bigger metros than NWA. But I could perhaps see the fact that Wal-mart and some other big businesses are in the area helped influence it in addition of being centrally located. But they could be looking at several other 'centrally located' areas as well. I watched KNWA in the mornings and in the afternoons but I don't recall seeing anything, even yesterday.

Interesting news. Maybe I'm wrong on this but don't a number of cities have world trade centers? Granted I think they tend to be bigger metros than NWA. But I could perhaps see the fact that Wal-mart and some other big businesses are in the area helped influence it in addition of being centrally located. But they could be looking at several other 'centrally located' areas as well. I watched KNWA in the mornings and in the afternoons but I don't recall seeing anything, even yesterday.

The only problem with all those other "centrally located" metros is that they don't have the presence of THOUSANDS of multi-million/billion dollar companies that NWA does.

:rofl: Sorry, Slyder, but that's really, hilariously funny! Did your jaw drop when you read that next post? I know mine did! Unbelievable. In all seriousness, though, I have to admit that in the back of my mind is this little bit of hesitancy; I like progress, but good grief! This is just taking things to a whole new level. I don't know if I'm ready for this. When I was reading the article, I kept looking for the "Gotcha!" I really thought is was some kind of joke until I got to the end. Holy cow.

Heh heh.

Probably at one time we never thought we:

- Would have Arkansas' largest asian population;

- Would have the world's largest Marshallese population (again, the most significant island group between Hawai'i and Australia?) outside, well, the Marshall Islands;

- Would have a hispanic population by mcheiss' estimate at 51,000 (and amazingly, that doesn't cover our new suburb McDonald County, MO where the reported/unreported of said group population is quite significant);

- Would grow the african-American population in Bentonville alone about 10 times since Y2K and about 50 times since 1990;

- Would be training the entire (?) American Samoa executive government in ethics at Siloam Springs;

- Would possibly be getting a significant Chinese expat population due to the world's largest or second largest company being here;

- Would even consider Bentonville pairing up as a sister city with the capital of Africa's 905,000 square mile Democratic Republic of the Congo;

- Would be possibly getting a WNBA team (actually, that's unrelated and almost insignificant but I put it in to make Matt happy :silly: )...

Anybody have any ideas on how tall of a building this would be?

http://www.nwaonline.com/articles/2006/09/...tradecenter.txt

I don't know, but I'll tell you this, Matt.

John "51" Hammons said he's banking that NWA will grow in large part because it will be on a trade route (I-49) between Kansas City and New Orleans, actually Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada to KC to NO. There's also a big push for a Detroit/Houston (I-69) corridor that I think would go all the way to the lower Rio Grande Valley (Brownsville/McAllen, TX) and Mexico, going through Shreveport and crossing I-49 to provide a direct KC to HOU/LRGV/Mexico connection, as we'd discussed ad infinitum.

Our on-line friend/insider itk has assured us the money's not there for this (at this point in time) and I believe him, but this is just one more reason why I don't think the northern I-49 is going to terminate in Fort Smith unless the Lord Himself returns before they start further construction.

Anybody have any ideas on how tall of a building this would be?

No idea, but I'm not going to expect anything huge. I think other cities with World Trade Centers, outside of NYC, aren't neccessarily huge buildings. It could be something rather small, you never know. I'm not sure how big of a presence they'd have here if they do put one here.

No idea, but I'm not going to expect anything huge. I think other cities with World Trade Centers, outside of NYC, aren't neccessarily huge buildings. It could be something rather small, you never know. I'm not sure how big of a presence they'd have here if they do put one here.

Indeed, Mith...were I them I'd try to make this as elegant yet inconspicuous (read "not an easy target") as possible. If it were up to ME, I'd hope they'd build a 120 story building. :thumbsup:

Indeed, Mith...were I them I'd try to make this as elegant yet inconspicuous (read "not an easy target") as possible. If it were up to ME, I'd hope they'd build a 120 story building. :thumbsup:

:lol: For all we know they might just have a few offices here and that's it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see on what happens.

I'm not exactly sure just what kind of WTC we would have in NWA, but there's a ton of info at the official website of the World Trade Centers Association. I would expect the WTC building in NWA to be no more than 2 or 3 stories depending on what services would be available. Larger WTC's include hotel and conference facilities.

Here is a list of all the WTCs in North America. I was surprised there are some in Metros as small as Jackson, MS etc... So I guess this could be a rather small building.

Atlantic Canada World Trade Centre - Halifax

Capital Region World Trade Center, Schenectady

Great Plains World Trade Center, Sioux Falls

Greater Kansas City World Trade Center

Houston World Trade Center

Hudson Valley World Trade Center

Inland Empire World Trade Center Palm Spring/Desert Cities

Jacksonville World Trade Center

Kansas World Trade Center, Wichita

Kentucky World Trade Center, Lexington

Los Angeles World Trade Center

Mississippi World Trade Center, Jackson

Montana World Trade Center, Missoula

North Carolina World Trade Center, Raleigh-Durham

Northern California World Trade Center, Sacramento

San Diego World Trade Center

South Carolina World Trade Center - Charleston

State of Hawaii World Trade Center, Honolulu

The Alliance World Trade Center (Greater Dallas/Fort Worth)

The Greenville-Spartanburg World Trade Center

The Ronald Reagan Building & International Trade Center

Tri-Cities World Trade Center - Kingsport

Wisconsin World Trade Center, Milwaukee

World Trade Center San Luis Potosi

World Trade Center Aguascalientes

World Trade Center Anchorage/Alaska

World Trade Center Assoc. of Orange County

World Trade Center Atlanta

World Trade Center Baltimore

World Trade Center Boston

World Trade Center Buffalo Niagara

World Trade Center Chicago

World Trade Center Cleveland

World Trade Center Delaware, Inc., Wilmington

World Trade Center Denver

World Trade Center Detroit/Windsor

World Trade Center Dulles Airport

World Trade Center El Paso / Juarez

World Trade Center Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

World Trade Center Guadalajara

World Trade Center Harrisburg

World Trade Center Las Vegas

World Trade Center Long Beach

World Trade Center Memphis

World Trade Center Mexico City

World Trade Center Miami

World Trade Center Morelos

World Trade Center New York

World Trade Center Norfolk

World Trade Center Nuevo Leon-UANL

World Trade Center Orlando

World Trade Center Oxnard

World Trade Center Palm Beach

World Trade Center Pittsburgh

World Trade Center Portland

World Trade Center Rhode Island, Greater Providence

World Trade Center Rio Grande Valley at McAllen

World Trade Center Saint Louis

World Trade Center San Antonio

World Trade Center Seattle

World Trade Center Tacoma

World Trade Center Tampa Bay

World Trade Center Toluca

World Trade Center Veracruz

World Trade Center of Greater Philadelphia

World Trade Center of New Orleans

World Trade Center of San Francisco

World Trade Centre Edmonton

World Trade Centre Montreal

World Trade Centre Ottawa-Gatineau

World Trade Centre Toronto

World Trade Centre Vancouver

I'm not exactly sure just what kind of WTC we would have in NWA, but there's a ton of info at the official website of the World Trade Centers Association. I would expect the WTC building in NWA to be no more than 2 or 3 stories depending on what services would be available. Larger WTC's include hotel and conference facilities.

Yeah I think everyone got excited because everyone always thinks of NYC. Wichita apparently even has one, looks like it's only 3 stories tall. Considering how close it is I'm a bit surprised they simply aren't going to expand that one instead of finding another location in the area. It does look like overall they tend to be in larger metros but there are some exceptions.

I wonder if Rogers is the only city in the area in contention for this. I wonder if Fayetteville might try to go for this as well or for that matter Springfield or maybe Tulsa.

There are alot of planned World Trade Centers. In places like Jackson, Memphis, Jacksonville etc. The ones that are actually built are relativly tall however.

World Trade Centers: North America

That's still not a bad list of cities to be involved with.

BTW, I've got a new marketing slogan for NWA given all we've been bombarded with the past month, again inspired by our good friend:

"Northwest Arkansas: Where 'Mith' becomes a reality!" :thumbsup:

Archived