Greensboro Downtown Photo Tour part 3

cityboi

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys! I tried to be a little more creative and get different angles to make it easier for people to see what downtown is like. Also i'm sure people get tired of seeing the same old photo shots in Greensboro I thought it might be a little more refreshing to see downtown from different perspectives. I also used my new digital camera so the pictures turned out sharper than before and I was able to take as much as 96 photos in one shoot. before I had to get film developed and then take the time to scan the pictures and the qaulity wasn't as good. Its alot cheaper to use a digital camera as well. The only thing you have to pay for are the batteries. I may go to the 28th floor of the Koury Convention Center to take a photo of Greensboro skyline from afar and up in the air. That should be an interesting view as well! :)

Thanks! These photos were taken at odd hours when you don't really see alot of people on the streets. That changes during the evening though. But you are right, the goal is to make this a 24 hour vibrant downtown and we're going to get there.

Sean, I have to speak generally about the major NC cities. They all fell victim to urban sprawl and had their centers nearly abandoned. These areas were filled with people 50 years ago. Sure, we can go out there and get photos of people walking around, even on a Sunday, but this will not be the true picture of NC city cores. Asheville and Wilmington are a bit different, and probably Chapel Hill, but the 5 major cities are not there yet. The good news is, Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham and Winston Salem are all making major efforts to change all that. Streets that used to be TOTALLY empty a few years ago, today they see some traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian. Charlotte has taken the lead, but the other cities aren't far behind. In fact, each one of them takes a different path towards revitalization. You may see emphasis on streetscapes, nearby housing, mid- and high-rise living; sports, retail and entertainment destinations; infill projects... I think any negative perception will change pretty soon.

As a side note, and this is very important for me because it was the beginning of my participation in the SSP forums, it was Cirrus' thread on DT Raleigh that made me get more interested in voicing my opinion. His pictures were taken on a very cloudy/rainy day,a round 5pm, and nearly no living soul was around DT Raleigh. To me, who live here for the last 12 years, this image would have been real when I first moved to Raleigh, but not in the last 2-3 years. Cirrus had not visited a single area where people normally go, plus 5pm is very early for DT Raleigh crowds. Normally, people show up after 7pm, depending on whether it is Summer or Winter, and if the weather allows. I assume something similar holds true about Greensboro. It is a sad picture to see empty streets, I have to admit... no matter where you go.

One thing I've noticed about Raleigh and Greensboro is that they've got a lot of new development JUST outside the downtown core. Something that is surprising because normally those areas are reserved for historical homes/apartments. I know here in SLC there hasn't been much development outside of downtown in like 20 years. I mean there are smaller homes being built for infill, and the western part of the city boomed during the 90s. BUT right outside of downtown looks about the same today as it probably did 20 years ago.

Archived