Feeling Greenville with envy

JDC

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that Raleigh city officials took an official tour of Greenville some years back (as well as Greensboro city officials). Unfortunately, the opening statements show the general ignorance of many of the great things this state has to offer since it goes off nothing but stereotypes and popular media depictions.

Thanks for posting that link here, JDC! I think it's safe to say that yet another person has been caught off guard by just how amazing and quirky Greenville is and perhaps yet another sterotype way of thinking has been effectively dealt with (at least for one person, if not a few of his readers).

111036873_c1ffceca74_b.jpg

I've never left this country, but I was told by a dear friend from Zimbabwe 24 years ago that I was sickenly patriotic and it changed my view of the world forever. After that I applied for international housing while at the U. of S.C. and got in, and that experience changed me even more. I've long since stopped looking at the world only through this country's eyes.

I guess you mean besides Charleston. I'm glad some of them will now see that there are other places in the state worth visiting besides the coast.

Before reading this column I hadn't realized that folks in NC make fun of SC. Then again, I've only been in North Carolina for a year and a half now.

I've only been to Myrtle Beach (and hated it). I'm thinking Greenville might provide for a nice weekend trip this fall. My girlfriend and I really enjoy Asheville because of the foliage. Is there any foliage in Greenville?

...Is there any foliage in Greenville?

Oh yes. :thumbsup: Fall colors have been somewhat disappointing the past couple of years due to variations in summer weather (lots of rain due to tropical storms in 2004, hardly any rain at all in 2005, etc.). I suspect this year will be brilliant based on the weather we've had thus far this summer.

Before reading this column I hadn't realized that folks in NC make fun of SC. Then again, I've only been in North Carolina for a year and a half now.

Maybe not so much up in the Triangle, but down this way near Charlotte, sometimes it can be downright annoying--especially when its coming from folks from Salisbury and Shelby. :blink::wacko:

Maybe not so much up in the Triangle, but down this way near Charlotte, sometimes it can be downright annoying--especially when its coming from folks from Salisbury and Shelby. :blink::wacko:

Most people I know from N Carolina seem to have a belief that N Carolina is more sophisticated (perhaps less "Southern?"), more proper, and just plain better. They look at us as their redheaded step-sister.

You're right (even though we are the original Carolina). Hopefully as our cities continue to do things right, like Greenville has with Main Street, the exposure will increase and it will become known that the overall differences between the two states aren't as drastic as some make them out to be.

Most people I know from N Carolina seem to have a belief that N Carolina is more sophisticated (perhaps less "Southern?"), more proper, and just plain better. They look at us as their redheaded step-sister.

Not all of us feel this way. On the other hand, since I was born and raised in SC I know a lot about the state whereas many making the disparging comments do not. It should be noted that in the Charlotte metro, the county with the largest population outside of Mecklenburg is York.

I would also say that in Asheville, the general feeling of the people there is the big city in the area is Greenville.

Also if you look at a map, any major SC city is a long way from any major NC city except for Charlotte and even then we are talking at least a 2 hour drive given the traffic. These are not casual drives so most people that visit SC from NC are going to visit a destination city such as Myrtle Beach, Charleston or Hilton Head. Conversely, how many of you have visited Winston-Salem, Greensboro, or Durham? A quick check of the forum shows almost no comments about these places from SC.

It should be noted that if you really want to hear North Carolineans talk bad about a place, then ask someone from Charlotte what they think of Raleigh and vice versa. The media in these cities never cover postitive news in the other place, when they actually cover any news at all, unless they are using it as an example to point out how piss pour it is done in the local area. We hear much more about Columbia, GSP and Myrtle Beach here in CLT than any of the other metros in NC. Some charlotteans also generally look down on almost every NC community around it and especially if it is in Gaston county. I don't think they are singling out SC for special treatment. :shades:

While much of this is true (especially the Charlotte vs. Raleigh rivalry), there often seems to be a special disdain for South Carolina. If you check out some of the Charlotte Observer's blogs and read some of the comments, especially those related to Southern identity and the influx of transplants, South Carolina will be sure to come up in a negative way--and usually after a bunch of Charlotteans have lamented the arrival of the transplants and the desire to preserve a "Southern way of life." It's so ironic, yet so typical. Peel back the shiny layer of glass and steel that is uptown Charlotte, and underneath all of it is an "old South" mentality that is still very much alive and well in the area, and it has nothing to do with South Carolina. However, I will say that the South Carolina counties in metro Charlotte are definitely some of the most prosperous in the region. Too bad some Charlotteans don't get out more to experience the growth and all of the good things happening on our side of the border.

• 5 months later...

I was born in Gastonia, NC and lived most of my life in that area and visited Raleigh and other cities in NC. I've lived in SC for about four years out of the past seven.

I've never heard anyone badmouth SC. Ever. I've never heard of any kind of rivalry or badmouthing between Raleigh and Charlotte either, so this entire thread seems a little odd to me. There does seem to be a lot of NC bashing on this thread though. ;)

I personally think both NC and SC are incredibly beautiful, which is why I moved back after living in Los Angeles for three years.

Personally, I'd choose Greenville over Charlotte any day, though my fiance and I want to check out Asheville sometime and see what it is like there. :)

I was born in Gastonia, NC and lived most of my life in that area and visited Raleigh and other cities in NC. I've lived in SC for about four years out of the past seven.

I've never heard anyone badmouth SC. Ever. I've never heard of any kind of rivalry or badmouthing between Raleigh and Charlotte either, so this entire thread seems a little odd to me. There does seem to be a lot of NC bashing on this thread though. ;)

I personally think both NC and SC are incredibly beautiful, which is why I moved back after living in Los Angeles for three years.

Personally, I'd choose Greenville over Charlotte any day, though my fiance and I want to check out Asheville sometime and see what it is like there. :)

Archived