decision making--graduate study in urban planning or engineering?

gracegt57

Hello everybody. I am a 4th yr student in university,majoring in Environmental Engineering. I've been always interested in urban planning topics. Since it's time for me to make a decision, I need to choose between either urban planning or continuing with env.eng. One of my prof said that there's bigger job market for env.engineers and I think it would be easier for me to apply master in env.eng. I don't know whether it's gonna be a smoonth transition from engineering to planning or not. I took economics courses as my electives,but I noticed that some planning schools require social/political/cultural knowledge........

Currently I am working as a co-op student in an Environmentl/Geotechnical consulting firm and hopefully I will end up with a year of working experience. I wish to apply for urban planning with concentration on environmental planning or land use. Which matters more, my GPA&GRE or working experience when I apply for my grad?

I'd like to hear your advice,thanks a million!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently in an Urban Studies program at my college. There is actually only one class called "Urban Studies". The other core courses are, as you said, in Sociology, Political Science, Economics, and History.

Which program you decide on really depends on what you intend to do with your degree. Your professor is probably right about there being a larger market for engineers than for planners. If I were you, I'd continue with the engineering. If you're not satisfied, you can always go back for the planning, and then you'd have both degrees to work with :thumbsup:

Having an undergrad in Engineering and then a Master's in Planning is a great combination. Then you finally get to see both sides of planning. Too often, planners make decisions with no engineering knowledge, and engineers make decisions without any regard for good planning. Knowing both will be extremely valuable.

Archived