COMPLETE: Masonic Temple Hotel

From a PROJO article in July...

"UNDER THE TEMPLE, excavation and construction will leave the hotel subbasement extending three floors below the ground level at the front of the temple, on the Avenue of the Arts.

Other heavy construction invisible from outside is creating a separate, concrete building-within-a-building under the adjacent Veterans' Memorial Auditorium. There, Sage and Hensel Phelps Construction Co., its contractor, are building what will become the hotel's ballroom, accoustically separate from the concert hall above, where the Rhode Island Philharmonic and numerous other groups will continue to perform."

Current Photos from renaissanceprovidencehotel.com

MT91105A.jpg

MT91105B.jpg

MT91105C.jpg

MT91105D.jpg

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

There really need to update their webpage. It seem pretty obvious that there's no freakin way this project is going to be completed by "Summer 2006" Has the building even been enclosed yet?

I just drove by Park St behind the temple and couldn't believe that they still haven't torn down that dilapidated house on Francis St across from the VMA. What are they waiting for?

• 1 month later...

is the facade really going to change that much??

"Better yet, get out of your car, walk around the construction, and think about what you're feeling. I'm sure it will mean something different to you from what it means to me, but do it soon -- because in a few months this heroic yet vulnerable facade will be gone."

Does anyone think this would be better suited as a museum? in place of Heritage Harbor?

It never looked like the facade would change that much according to the renderings. What does this guy want???

I think this is a case of another ProJo writer who is really bad at getting his point across. The facade will change in that it will have a building built behind it, and glass put in the windows, and (hopefully) a serious power washing. There's something magical about the shell sitting there, devoid of windows and open to the sky behind. It's a real site to see and everyone should stop and appreciate it before it's gone/changed. At least that's what I think he was getting at.

I attended a concert at the VMA for the first time just the other day and was blown away with the attractiveness and quality of the theater. Everything looks absolutely perfectly restored down to wooden seats. Other than the size ( 2100 seats ) I think the VMA is as or more stunning than PAC.

I had not idea providence had another gem when it came to quality theater spaces. It’s going to be a great asset for the Hotel when complete.

I had not idea providence had another gem when it came to quality theater spaces.

I take it that your not originally from around here. The VMA is also where the city holds graduation ceremonies for it's high school students. Concerts at the VMA usually feature classical music and opera.

http://www.operaprovidence.org/VMA/vma.htm

http://www.festivalballet.com/main%20%20te...ess_102304.html

I attended a concert at the VMA for the first time just the other day and was blown away with the attractiveness and quality of the theater. Everything looks absolutely perfectly restored down to wooden seats. Other than the size ( 2100 seats ) I think the VMA is as or more stunning than PAC.

Yup, it's very impressive, more so, in my opinion, than Symphony Hall in Boston. The ceiling is amazing if you didn't look up, with the seals of all of the major RI municipalities arranged in a circle. I'd love to sneak in my camera and take a photo. I wouldn't compare the VMA and the PPAC, as they're actually quite different spaces.

One thing I was disappointed at the VMA was the acoustics, which I had heard were the best in New England. In my two times there, I found the sound in the space marginal (although that might be the RI Philharmonic's fault, which is a different issue). It's certainly no worse than Symphony Hall in Boston, which also has some acoustic issues in my opinion (the front balconies are definitely the place to be). Or maybe I'm spoiled... Sound in the new Symphony Hall in Minneapolis just sparkled and was outstanding.

- Garris

does anyone have any clue how the Masonic Hotel will even be finished by Winter of 06'... which is much later than its announced completion date?

A year really isn't a big deal for getting a building of that size done. I think they are behind schedule mostly because of the difficulty of doing all of the initial site work that they need to do while also shoring up and maintaining the facade. Once they have a secure foundation and have finished the subgrade work I imagine the work will go fairly quickly. Doing the subgrade work while trying to keep the VMA active and keep the facade intact is fairly difficult.

Is the bridge structurally sound? I say hold onto it for potential commuter rail to the East Bay in the future. I think most would agree.

I don't know since it has been neglected for so long. However my guess would be that the cost of fixing it would be less than the cost of demo'ing it and building a new one.

I also think that some old relics are nice. something about the bridge irself appeals to me.

Does it have two tracks, if it's single track than it will be useless for future transit use. If it's double-track, then I say save it, can be used for light rail or BRT via the East Side tunnel in the future.

I also like the bridge. I think that there was talk a couple of years ago about reusing the bridge and the tracks that go to EP.

The writer of the ProJo letter seems like a real whiner. If he hates old gritty stuff so much he should consider moving to a place like Vegas. I also get tired of suburbanites (he says he's from Warwick) complaining about Providence. I'd rather look at that bridge than almost anything in Warwick.

Archived