COMPLETE: Masonic Temple Hotel

Yeah theres been talk about re-using that tunnel and bridge for transit but never gets past the idea stage. In the 1970s there was a plan for a commuter rail line running from North Kingston to Providence Union Station continuing thru the tunnel to Warren.

I'm pretty sure it was double tracked at one time but the second track was removed in its later years prior to abandonment.

How close do the tracks in East Providence get to the main business district in EP?

markOne, you walk all the way thru the tunnel or just part ways?

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

markOne, you walk all the way thru the tunnel or just part ways?

All the way through, back in 1992 or so. I was a very nice day and a friend and I thought it seemed like the thing to do. I'll give him call and see if he still has the pictures we took from of the bridge.

Ha! Thats EXACTLY what I thought when I read it...

Warwick is could be worse. (did I ever mention that I once lived in WEST Warwick...)

i live in WW. i second ur statement.

West Warwick has a lot to offer in terms of architecture and it has a nicely dense type of urbanism. I wouldn't be surprised if some of its village centers like Arctic take off in the next few years like downtown Warren has started to do or downtown East Greenwich, both of which were until recently fairly depressed.

The Royal Mill project is saving one of RI's great architectural monuments in my opinion. Struever is also redoing what remains of the Crompton mill, another great piece of news for WW.

Warwick definitely has some nice sections but so much of it has become sprawling and cookie-cutter that it has become RI's symbol for what many think of as wrong with contemporary urban planning.

West Warwick has a lot to offer in terms of architecture and it has a nicely dense type of urbanism. I wouldn't be surprised if some of its village centers like Arctic take off in the next few years like downtown Warren has started to do or downtown East Greenwich, both of which were until recently fairly depressed.

The Royal Mill project is saving one of RI's great architectural monuments in my opinion. Struever is also redoing what remains of the Crompton mill, another great piece of news for WW.

Warwick definitely has some nice sections but so much of it has become sprawling and cookie-cutter that it has become RI's symbol for what many think of as wrong with contemporary urban planning.

I have to say that there is good historic potential in WW but it has a long way to go. There was not much to keep us there other than cheap rent. We liked the tree lighting they did in the Arctic center (in recent years). It actually had a decent turn out and a nice community feel. The Arctic seems to be trying to pull itself up by its bootstraps but that area and the city as a whole has a lot to over come. Phoenix also has some potential, but it will depend on what is done with the burned mill and the development of the river as a nice green space. WW has very high property taxes, but the city is still broke and the schools have a poor reputation. I wish them the best of luck as they do actually have a decently urban core (in the arctic).

• 1 month later...

any bets on how close they'll be to opening by the target, December 2006?

They may be done/close to done arounf Dec., but there's a lot of permits that need to be acquired to open, and post Station Fire, those often take a while. I think if they finish by Dec. '06, we can hope to see them open by Feb. '07.

• 1 month later...

i noticed today that the steel is starting to rise above the pre exisiting structure. does anyone know how much higher it will be going?

A bit, judging from this photo of a model that was taken at the time the hotel conversion was announced.

Masonic%20Temple.jpg

- Garris

i noticed today that the steel is starting to rise above the pre exisiting structure. does anyone know how much higher it will be going?

The whole project is a ruse. They're really building a 1,000 foot tower sheathed with titanium and glass. They're going to push over the temple's facades soon to reveal the neon and LED displays that wrap the bottom 5 floors of the building.

Maybe it's just a trick of perspective, but the steel seems to rise a bit higher than the model suggests.

It doesn't look that tall in the model that Garris posted because the roof is sloped. But look at how high the peak of that slanted roof is, it looks about right to me.

I was noticing this structure poking up above various things all over town today, I saw it poking up between and above buildings from College Hill, from Waterplace, from Kennedy Plaza, from Atwells... A lot of that will probably be blocked when the Waterplace towers start to rise, but it's interesting to see it poking out around town.

It doesn't look that tall in the model that Garris posted because the roof is sloped. But look at how high the peak of that slanted roof is, it looks about right to me.

To me as well, Cotuit. If you look at the model, the new top is about two floors, correct? Looking at the height of the existing floors, the steel on top looks to be about right for two floors and a roof...

- Garris

To me as well, Cotuit. If you look at the model, the new top is about two floors, correct? Looking at the height of the existing floors, the steel on top looks to be about right for two floors and a roof...

- Garris

The height looks about right - the bldg. includes a hip roof and a small vertical rise above it for mechanicals. it's good to finally see some steel going up!

The height looks about right - the bldg. includes a hip roof and a small vertical rise above it for mechanicals. it's good to finally see some steel going up!

Been watching your conversations for quite a while. I'm the project superintendent for the Masonic Temple job. You're correct about the steel. We are going two full stories, plus penthouses, above the facade. We are having a topping-out ceremony Thursday. Your photos are great and I'm glad to see the interest in the project from the public. If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask.

Been watching your conversations for quite a while. I'm the project superintendent for the Masonic Temple job. You're correct about the steel. We are going two full stories, plus penthouses, above the facade. We are having a topping-out ceremony Thursday. Your photos are great and I'm glad to see the interest in the project from the public. If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask.

First of all I bid you welcome to the board. We have all been watching your project with great interest. Feel free to comment on any other topic of interest.

My first questions all center around one thing.

What exactly is a topping-out ceremony?

To be blunt, is there any way a member of the board could attend to take some pictures that we wouldn't otherwise see?

We tend to be a group interested in more than just the press photos. If you look around on other threads we tend to take pictures of footings, vacant, lots, rubble piles, foundations, cranes etc. It would be nice to get some cool shots of what you consider tricky or interesting in your project. I

Thanks for stopping by, and for your generous offer to answer our questions. I think were all wondering about the time line on this project in the coming months, such as when construction will be done and when the 1st quests will walk through the front doors.

Been watching your conversations for quite a while. I'm the project superintendent for the Masonic Temple job... If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask.

Hello,

Thank you very much for dropping by, and welcome to UP-Providence!

I had a question about the aspect of the project involving the VMA. If I recall, the VMA's downstairs is going to become the hotel's ballroom, correct? Has that part of the project begun? If so, what are the engineering challenges of working below the performing arts center?

If I remember, the purchase of the VMA's downstairs was going to help towards the VMA's refurbishment.

- Garris

First of all I bid you welcome to the board. We have all been watching your project with great interest. Feel free to comment on any other topic of interest.

My first questions all center around one thing.

What exactly is a topping-out ceremony?

The topping-out is when the last steel girder is placed. Usually, the construction workers will paint it white and they all autograph it. They then affix a Christmas tree to the girder (for good luck) and it is hoised into position. It's a major milestone for any construction project that involves steel framing.

Archived