COMPLETE: Masonic Temple Hotel

The topping-out is when the last steel girder is placed. Usually, the construction workers will paint it white and they all autograph it. They then affix a Christmas tree to the girder (for good luck) and it is hoised into position. It's a major milestone for any construction project that involves steel framing.

As far as photos tomorrow, Thursday, between 10:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., come up to 106 Francis Street around the construction site fence, and you'll be able to get a photo of the beam with the tree before it is lifted into place. The best place to get a good photo of the beam being flown into place will be at the top level of the Providence Place Mall parking garage. I've seen some of your photos from there and they are great. Insurance regs really keep me from getting you on the site for the shots you are looking for. If you do come tomorrow, ask around for Don, I'd be glad to meet with you. The time-line is Decemeber 18 for a "soft" opening. Open for business. There will be a soft opening, which means the doors will open for the hotel, training for employees and such, but the grand opening will follow in January sometime. I don't know what the Merriot's plans are for that. It will open for business Dec. 18 period. The lower two floors of the VMA have been bought by the hotel. And the ballroom and the hotel's business offices will be located in this space. Not the front desk, the business office. We had to go in and create a sound-proof box directly below the existing theater or VMA auditorium, which was done with cast-in-place 12 inch thick by 25 foot tall walls with structural steel going between the walls and then a 6 inch concrete deck poured above the future ballroom leaving about a 6 foot high space between the ballroom ceiling and the auditorium. This is already done. A great deal of detail for sound proofing because if there is a band or activity going on in the ballroom, and another taking place in the auditorium; the sounds can't comingle....All ventilation systems, power, fire alarms, etc, in that area are tied to the hotel sytems and are independent of the VMA. The only exception is the fire alarm panel for the hotel and the fire alarm panel for the VMA will be tied together for a common alarm.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as photos tomorrow, Thursday, between 10:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., come up to 106 Francis Street around the construction site fence, and you'll be able to get a photo of the beam with the tree before it is lifted into place. The best place to get a good photo of the beam being flown into place will be at the top level of the Providence Place Mall parking garage. I've seen some of your photos from there and they are great. Insurance regs really keep me from getting you on the site for the shots you are looking for. If you do come tomorrow, ask around for Don, I'd be glad to meet with you. The time-line is Decemeber 18 for a "soft" opening. Open for business. There will be a soft opening, which means the doors will open for the hotel, training for employees and such, but the grand opening will follow in January sometime. I don't know what the Merriot's plans are for that. It will open for business Dec. 18 period. The lower two floors of the VMA have been bought by the hotel. And the ballroom and the hotel's business offices will be located in this space. Not the front desk, the business office. We had to go in and create a sound-proof box directly below the existing theater or VMA auditorium, which was done with cast-in-place 12 inch thick by 25 foot tall walls with structural steel going between the walls and then a 6 inch concrete deck poured above the future ballroom leaving about a 6 foot high space between the ballroom ceiling and the auditorium. This is already done. A great deal of detail for sound proofing because if there is a band or activity going on in the ballroom, and another taking place in the auditorium; the sounds can't comingle....All ventilation systems, power, fire alarms, etc, in that area are tied to the hotel sytems and are independent of the VMA. The only exception is the fire alarm panel for the hotel and the fire alarm panel for the VMA will be tied together for a common alarm.

Another point of interest may be, all of the laundry equipment for the hotel is in place. And the lower two floors are being drywalled. I have devised a plan for temporary roofs. The first being on the fourth floor. So that drywall and finishes can be started now, months before the final roof is installed. With this plan, I will have everything below grade and the ground and second floor sheetrocked and some of the lower rooms painted prior to final roof in place.

Don, thank you so much for all of the details, especially as it related to the VMA. That's really amazing. I hope someone from the VMA, the hotel, the city, or a journalist was following that since all the effort being expended to protect the acoustics of both the concert hall and and the ballroom is a great story.

One additional question for you: Do you know if the hotel is planning on any lighting at night of either the roof or flood lighting of the sides? Given the building's height and architectural prominence, that would be wonderful for the skyline.

Congratulations on the topping off!

- Garris

PS: I was driving on the 6 to 95 South interchange and got my first look at the work there in a while, and I was shocked at how high this rises. Cotuit is right that it is very visible from many areas, challenging even the state house in height. This was a very pleasant surprise.

Of all the current construction projects underway, I like this one the best; an excellent example of reuse of existing infrastructure, and it will be an excellent complement to the State House. Just imagine when the current facade is power washed and accent lighting is installed. The view of the State House and the new hotel from Providence Place should be great!

Of all the current construction projects underway, I like this one the best; an excellent example of reuse of existing infrastructure, and it will be an excellent complement to the State House. Just imagine when the current facade is power washed and accent lighting is installed. The view of the State House and the new hotel from Providence Place should be great!

In a way I feel like this project has really flown under the wire as far as ultimate impact on the city. It sounds like when finished it will be one of the most unique hotels in the country, when the history of the building is factored in.

In a way I feel like this project has really flown under the wire as far as ultimate impact on the city. It sounds like when finished it will be one of the most unique hotels in the country, when the history of the building is factored in.

Not only unique, but finally something to bring some foot traffic up that side of Capitol Hill...besides of course state workers slumbering down to the mall to eat cheesecake or Fire & Ice meals...oh no wait they drive to the mall cause it's too far...

Not only unique, but finally something to bring some foot traffic up that side of Capitol Hill...besides of course state workers slumbering down to the mall to eat cheesecake or Fire & Ice meals...oh no wait they drive to the mall cause it's too far...

Ha, hey watch it, my mother used to work as a planner in the DOA building and she walked to work from the East side rain, shine, or ice....and those are some crazy hills.

But I agree, it will be nice having some (re)development on that side of downtown, hopefully the so-called Avenue of Arts comes to fruition sometime down the road....

Don, thank you so much for all of the details, especially as it related to the VMA. That's really amazing. I hope someone from the VMA, the hotel, the city, or a journalist was following that since all the effort being expended to protect the acoustics of both the concert hall and and the ballroom is a great story.

One additional question for you: Do you know if the hotel is planning on any lighting at night of either the roof or flood lighting of the sides? Given the building's height and architectural prominence, that would be wonderful for the skyline.

Congratulations on the topping off!

- Garris

PS: I was driving on the 6 to 95 South interchange and got my first look at the work there in a while, and I was shocked at how high this rises. Cotuit is right that it is very visible from many areas, challenging even the state house in height. This was a very pleasant surprise.

Yes, there will be uplighting on the columnades. Next visible milestone, the steel truss system on the facade will be removed at the end of April. The exterior of the building will then be completely scaffolded to start the exterior restoration of the stone and brick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite projects. I have always admired this building (used to live in Pawtucket and drove by it everyday) and was dismayed when it became a graffiti billboard the last few years. Can't wait for it to be finished.

I also have been thinking that the sidewall of the VMA is really bland and will do a disservice to the complex from the highway when completed. Well it does now but it will be more apparent as the complex comes alive. I was thinking that an electronic sign ala PPAC might look really nice there. Add some color and interest. It would be a great way to attract people to events at the VMA. It could be a combo sign advertising the hotel and the VMA. It should be one that juts out so it is viewable in both directions (I guess it's really two signs.) Anyway something with a great design to add to the project would be great. Maybe the hotel owners would be willing to foot the bill.

Would also serve as a nice welcome to Providence for 95 South. It just seems you hit Providence and there is the foundry on the right with broken windows and the blank VMA wall on the left with an ugly staircase. Then you hit the mall on the left, which looks nice, and the convention center garage has some cool neon on it. On the right we have the old produce warehouse. Then we hit the ugly Dunk on the left. I think an electronic sign would snazz things up a bit. A static billboard wouldn't work, too boring.

This is one of my favorite projects. I have always admired this building (used to live in Pawtucket and drove by it everyday) and was dismayed when it became a graffiti billboard the last few years. Can't wait for it to be finished.

I also have been thinking that the sidewall of the VMA is really bland and will do a disservice to the complex from the highway when completed. Well it does now but it will be more apparent as the complex comes alive. I was thinking that an electronic sign ala PPAC might look really nice there. Add some color and interest. It would be a great way to attract people to events at the VMA. It could be a combo sign advertising the hotel and the VMA. It should be one that juts out so it is viewable in both directions (I guess it's really two signs.) Anyway something with a great design to add to the project would be great. Maybe the hotel owners would be willing to foot the bill.

Would also serve as a nice welcome to Providence for 95 South. It just seems you hit Providence and there is the foundry on the right with broken windows and the blank VMA wall on the left with an ugly staircase. Then you hit the mall on the left, which looks nice, and the convention center garage has some cool neon on it. On the right we have the old produce warehouse. Then we hit the ugly Dunk on the left. I think an electronic sign would snazz things up a bit. A static billboard wouldn't work, too boring.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

This is a big blank canvas. So much could be done to promote the ave. of arts. I have not seen a proposel or heard anything that would indiacate such ideas have been discussed, but this project is such a grand one that i would hope the powers that be already have a few ideas and there just waiting to unvale the finished project.

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed yesterday that the exoskeletin has been removed from the building. Not sure how long its been down, but... cool!

If we could get a pic from the top of the Nordstrom's parking garage at the Mall, it should give us some really cool views of the interior!

• 1 month later...

Yes, there will be uplighting on the columnades. Next visible milestone, the steel truss system on the facade will be removed at the end of April. The exterior of the building will then be completely scaffolded to start the exterior restoration of the stone and brick.

Don, any updates on how things are going - almost causing accidents on RT95 when I pass by to get a look!

How tall with the building be when complete??

haha me too.

Me three... As if that part of 95 isn't already dangerous enough!

I'm impressed by how imposing looking the new addition looks from many different angles. While it de-emphasizes the classical elements a bit, there's no question that this structure adds real weight and density to that part of the city.

- Garris

Me three... As if that part of 95 isn't already dangerous enough!

I'm impressed by how imposing looking the new addition looks from many different angles. While it de-emphasizes the classical elements a bit, there's no question that this structure adds real weight and density to that part of the city.

- Garris

How about a photo?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived