Parking in Downtown

Dogs On Wheels

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I originally started this topic and I screwed up my original point. The parking itself isnt bad. I just have a problem with the power trip parking people that drive around in their golf carts thinking they are police.

Im not looking for special treatment or anything for free, but they know who drives what and where they work. When theres local store owners parking close to there store to unload supplies and they get ticket for being 10-15 minutes late, well thats just riduculous.

And really, what's to say that you didn't park there, unload something, drive off and come back to the same space with another load to unload it? Why on earth can't they be a bit more relaxed with business owners, I don't know. Perhaps the city should issue some sort of decal for local business owners that allows them (and only them) to park in the 2-hour spaces for up to 5 hours. That would seem only fair to me. Jim and Knox: you listening?

What about employees of the businesses? What about the owners of the buildings? What about residents who live downtown? What about other business owners who pay city taxes?

Everyone should get a decal!!

Sorry, but employees should just walk or ride their bikes to work. No decal for them! :P

Seriously though, that's a good point; however, we were specifically discussing the situation where a business may need to load/unload something in front of their store and where that may take more than 2 hours to complete. As far as parking during the day while they're working, that's where the parking lots and garages come into play for everybody. The street parking is there for shoppers and diners primarily, isn't it? That's how it should be. It's usually no different at your typical Wal-Mart/Target/Bi-Lo/Publix: employees park on the fringe of the parking lot so customers can have the spaces closest to the store. At least that's how it was when I was a bag boy, er, uh, courtesy clerk, way back in my teens.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I heard a little bit of this on WYFF, but I didn't catch the entire story. From what I remember from the story from this past week was that some task-force or something suggested bringing meters downtown. The City said it wasn't too sure... What do you guys think? I think it was important to get rid of them in the first place to turn downtown around and bring people back, but now that it's a destination... Will it help, hurt? I think the revenue could go to some great quality improvements, but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. I'm undecided and the City may never REALLY consider it, but for discussion, what are your thoughts?

I heard a little bit of this on WYFF, but I didn't catch the entire story. From what I remember from the story from this past week was that some task-force or something suggested bringing meters downtown. The City said it wasn't too sure... What do you guys think? I think it was important to get rid of them in the first place to turn downtown around and bring people back, but now that it's a destination... Will it help, hurt? I think the revenue could go to some great quality improvements, but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. I'm undecided and the City may never REALLY consider it, but for discussion, what are your thoughts?

I dont think we are quite at the point where it merits charging people to come downtown. Maybe downtown Charleston, Charlotte, WDC, etc. We need the pedistrains more than they need downtown, so I really hope we don't get too greedy. I personnally do not mind the funny golf cart traffic police, and don't mind paying a fine if I go over my time. It's too soon to think about exploiting our success, and I for one, think it will always be a bad move.

What do I think? I don't think parking during weekends or evenings should cost ANYTHING downtown, especially along Main Street. Heck, I even think the Spring Street garage should be free on evenings (after 6:00pm) and weekends. Likewise, the Richardson Street garage should be free not just on weekends, but also in teh evenings. Make parking free and advertise it and more people, er, uh, cheapskates like me will venture into downtown. As it is, I only park at the Washington Street deck and in the Bowater garage in the evenings...and also the Richardson Street garage on the weekends. If the city starts charging and putting up meters, then I'll stay away from downtown, as much as I love it, there are other places to go walk and shop.

I don't see why they'd even be considering this, especially given the slow retail decline of North Main.

We don't need meters downtown, but if we ever get them then I'm sure it would only be in effect during the business day (just like the parking garages). But parking should be most certainly free on the street and in parking buildings on evenings and weekends. Does the city know how many people resent having to pay for parking?

For what it's worth, I don't even try to find parking on Main Street anymore. If I happen to be driving on Main and see a space, I will obviously grab it - but I usually just head straight for one of the parking buildings. I am sure I am not the only one, simply because traffic on Main is almost always heavy and slow-moving.

For what it's worth, I don't even try to find parking on Main Street anymore. If I happen to be driving on Main and see a space, I will obviously grab it - but I usually just head straight for one of the parking buildings. I am sure I am not the only one, simply because traffic on Main is almost always heavy and slow-moving.

I dont think we are quite at the point where it merits charging people to come downtown. Maybe downtown Charleston, Charlotte, WDC, etc. We need the pedistrains more than they need downtown, so I really hope we don't get too greedy. I personnally do not mind the funny golf cart traffic police, and don't mind paying a fine if I go over my time. It's too soon to think about exploiting our success, and I for one, think it will always be a bad move.

I think Greenville has it a bit backwards. If anything should be free, it should be the garages.

It makes zero sense to not charge for the close spaces, but charge for the farther away spaces. A recent study found that most garages around town mostly empty, most of the time.

People think that it's difficult to park downtown, but it really isn't. If anything, there's an overabundance of readily available parking. It may be difficult to park on Main Street, but parking is very easy to come by. If the spaces on Main weren't free, people would be more inclined to actually walk a bit farther in our downtown.

When you add in the fact that you can easily incorporate some kind of parking validation system with retailers, it's a non-issue for most visitors.

In addition to raising revenues, metering parking will promote the expansion of downtown.

I think Greenville has it a bit backwards. If anything should be free, it should be the garages.

It makes zero sense to not charge for the close spaces, but charge for the farther away spaces. A recent study found that most garages around town mostly empty, most of the time.

People think that it's difficult to park downtown, but it really isn't. If anything, there's an overabundance of readily available parking. It may be difficult to park on Main Street, but parking is very easy to come by. If the spaces on Main weren't free, people would be more inclined to actually walk a bit farther in our downtown.

When you add in the fact that you can easily incorporate some kind of parking validation system with retailers, it's a non-issue for most visitors.

In addition to raising revenues, metering parking will promote the expansion of downtown.

I stand with Knox White's firm desire to keep Downtown Greenville completely "parking meter free." It is a very positive element to attracting visitors from other cities and has not caused any adverse effects yet. One thing I hope is never implemented would be parking meters installed on Main Street. There is absolutely no reason to implement them at this time, unless (God forbid) the City faces a major financial crisis. This is one of the rich quality of life details that have helped bring success to Downtown Greenville. While most of us may not attempt to park in the free spaces on Main Street, the very cheap price and ease of the garages makes them the preferable option which never is too full.

the only type of meter that i wouldn't mind if it became a necessity was in London, they were off the curb, back near a building

with only one every so often not one for each space. When you put your money in it printed out a small slip of paper with an adhesive strip that you stuck to the inside of your window. The meters looked nice, and the streets were not lined with them so it did not take away for the appeal of the area.

something similar to this link these can be solar powered, come in a variety of colors and even accept credit cards.

I know that some people avoid coming to downtown because they believe parking is too difficult. But it isn't. Why do they have that perception? Because there are a limited number of free spaces... once those are taken, they feel like they are getting screwed. By having a limited number of free spaces, you are placing pressure to cap the number of potential visitors to your city.

The parking garages are empty. Aside from monthly parking permits, they are pretty much generating nada.

I say... make the garages free, which aren't generating squat to begin with... and make people may for the priveledge of parking right in front of the store they intend to shop at. When you incorporate parking validation at most stores and restaurants (perhaps as incentive for restaurants to be smoke-free), the costs to most visitors would be minimal.... and on top of that, more visitors will start walking on streets other than Main.

They're may be a couple of more reasons people avoid garages.

1.) Fear - People tend to feel their car and person may be safer parking on street level

2.) Method of payment - It's not that people aren't will to pay at certain times but when I have been in their they take two methods of payment 1.) Cash - which I rarely carry or 2.) passes - which might be best for people who are downtown most of the time but for the occasional shopping, mid-day lunch it's just "feels" better to find a place at street level. Plus I think I lot of people get a big kick out of finding a "sweet space". The thrill of the hunt if you will.

I'm looking forward to the City possibly making, was it Broad and River Streets(?), have on street parking. This will help alleviate parking somewhat. It was mentioned in the Journal I believe and I think it'd be a wise move and would nicely spruce up those two side streets.

I could, quite frankly, see Spring Street, Broad Street, and River Street all be re-done to include on-street parking just like Main Street. Basically, I could see everything between (yet excluding) Church and Academy and capped by College Street to the North re-done to include on-street parking just like Main.

I could, quite frankly, see Spring Street, Broad Street, and River Street all be re-done to include on-street parking just like Main Street. Basically, I could see everything between (yet excluding) Church and Academy and capped by College Street to the North re-done to include on-street parking just like Main.

Archived