Parking in Downtown

Dogs On Wheels

Ah, yes...I know the Reston Town Center quite well. Don't forget that it's also adjacent to the W&OD trail, much like our Swamp Rabbit Trail passes through downtown. Now if only we had a large outdoor skating rink during the winter time...

I've spent part of the morning looking at google earth aerial/satellite images of cities like Munich, Germany where most of the central business district is paved not for vehicle traffic, but for pedestrian traffic (Marienplatz, for instance). Blocks upon blocks of wide open pedestrian space, lined with shops, restaurants, residential buildings, churches, etc., and all surrounded by streets/roads/parking on the outskirts and with the U-Bahn passing beneath everything. I tell ya, it's an urban fantasy...and it's something from which cities in the U.S. (including our own) could really learn a lot.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I noticed those as well...I'd rather see the first two hours free though (to keep it in line with the 2 hour parking limit on Main Street)...heck, if you've got the choice between being possibly ticketed for parking for more than two hours on the street or possibly having to pay a buck or two for parking for more than two hours in a garage, it's an easy choice. :thumbsup:

Archived