Another Eyesore: The Enclave

bnaflyer

The discussion on Bristol Broadway, one of the ugliest buildings built recently, calls to mind what I think surely has to be THE ugliest, most offensive architectural crimes in the last 10 years--the Enclave "at Hillsboro Village" (as it is deceptively named, since it is a good two miles from Hillsboro Village). This thing dominates the Hillsboro Road Exit on 440. And it is ugly. Very ugly.

I'm curious--has anyone been inside the condos? Are the interior finishes as cheaply done as the exterior? Does anyone know how well sales have gone?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are fairly ugly, but it is also a bad location for many reasons.

I used to date a girl that lived in the apartments on the other side of the 440 exit(yes, those beauties that have been there forever) and the traffic noise on that exit was terrible. All night, every night. Tires schreeching and sirens.

If you gave me a unit I would take it, but it would be on the market the next day.

Okay, the Enclave is definately ugly. But I'm not so offended by the BoB. It's not extremely attractive and doesn't use the highest quality materials, but it does build up to the street, and at least appears more urban, even if it has no street level retail.

You know, I think the rendering on their web page is a lot nicer looking than the real thing.. we were just driving on 440 the other day and I commented that the place sure didn't live up to the hype (as far as I could tell at, um, 55mph).. and really, who'd want to live right on top of a freeway like that? And pay a real premium for the pleasure?! Well, apparently, a lot of people!

You know, I think the rendering on their web page is a lot nicer looking than the real thing.. we were just driving on 440 the other day and I commented that the place sure didn't live up to the hype (as far as I could tell at, um, 55mph).. and really, who'd want to live right on top of a freeway like that? And pay a real premium for the pleasure?! Well, apparently, a lot of people!

What drives me crazy is when the advertisements for this place (and the Tennessean, which dutifully repeats ad copy in its news columns) describes this as a "luxury" development. There a lot of "luxury" developments in town that are only "luxurious" in their price tags as opposed to any actual high-end finish or amenity. And you are right, the reality is much worse than the drawings--why do you think they avoid actual photographs?

I'm not sure I understand why so many seem to hate the Enclave so much. It's certainly not the most impressive new form of urban architecture but I think it's much more attractive than Bristol on Broadway. And the workmanship and landscaping are far superior. My biggest criticism isn't so much that it's ugly but that it's not very well designed for condo living. With only a single remotely positioned elevator and parking spread out all over the place I still find it hard to believe that new buyers have accepted this hassle. Maybe that's why 20% of the units remain unsold. Then again it was originally intended to be an apartment project. Considering that I'd certainly give it marks as high as the Post Green Hills (Hillsboro & Woodmont) project which has since been converted to condos. At least they didn't put a big wall around it.

I don't really have an opinion on the Enclave, except that it's a shame they tore down the cool 30's/40's era apartments that were on the site previously. It's basically a suburban apartment building in a semi-urban location. Definately doesn't connect to the neighborhood. Might as well be gated. I'm sure the amenities and location attract buyers.

Archived