Sobering h.s. football article in today's Demozette

KJW

How many of you saw the article on the decline of Arkansas high school football in the section of the state from West Memphis to south Little Rock to Texarkana?

Man...I went to the Bentonville drubbing of Russellville tonight, at the new Bentonville stadium with the Ghirardelli Chocolate and Dasani Water lit sings, with the jumbotron which flashes a baseball card like picture of each Bentonville tiger who makes a key play...

It's amazing how well we have it here compared to so many.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of you saw the article on the decline of Arkansas high school football in the section of the state from West Memphis to south Little Rock to Texarkana?

Man...I went to the Bentonville drubbing of Russellville tonight, at the new Bentonville stadium with the Ghirardelli Chocolate and Dasani Water lit sings, with the jumbotron which flashes a baseball card like picture of each Bentonville tiger who makes a key play...

It's amazing how well we have it here compared to so many.

Weird. I think "Arkansas high school football" I think Fordyce, Rison, Barton, or Quigley Stadium.

I sure don't think about Bentonville.

West Memphis is doing pretty well, having played in the last two title games and all.

Weird. I think "Arkansas high school football" I think Fordyce, Rison, Barton, or Quigley Stadium.

West Memphis is doing pretty well, having played in the last two title games and all.

The Bentonville Tiger Athletic Complex is pretty nice for a high school. There isn't much in the nation of Bentonville that anyone outside of Bentonville has heard of other than "you know who."

I agree somewhat, but those AA and AAA schools almost never have more than one D1A recruit, if they have one. Even the state champion at that level often only has one player go anywhere worth mentioning. Most D1A players in the state come from the 5A-7A schools simply because of size. Some of those smaller schools have a hard time getting people to even PLAY some positions, much less be any good at it. How is a school with 20 people in each grade supposed to have a football team comparable to something like Springdale, FS Southside, Fayetteville, or LR Central?

I know they don't play each other for a reason, and while the heart and soul of football will always be at the highschool level the effects of the NFL have trickled down through the college level and are now thoroughly destroying football in places like Rison and DeQueen. I also think this has more to do with funding and so LONG TERM issues more than the current situation at these schools.

I agree somewhat, but those AA and AAA schools almost never have more than one D1A recruit, if they have one. Even the state champion at that level often only has one player go anywhere worth mentioning. Most D1A players in the state come from the 5A-7A schools simply because of size. Some of those smaller schools have a hard time getting people to even PLAY some positions, much less be any good at it. How is a school with 20 people in each grade supposed to have a football team comparable to something like Springdale, FS Southside, Fayetteville, or LR Central?

I know they don't play each other for a reason, and while the heart and soul of football will always be at the highschool level the effects of the NFL have trickled down through the college level and are now thoroughly destroying football in places like Rison and DeQueen. I also think this has more to do with funding and so LONG TERM issues more than the current situation at these schools.

I agree.

The aggregate of the state's smaller schools still produces some hosses, though. Just look at Marcus Monk.

Yeah I saw this article before I left. There's a lot of history down in that area of the state but I do have to agree with the article. I think you're also going to see central and northwest Arkansas continue to grow and become even more dominant. Just looking at Hooten's rankings seem to indicate this.

Archived