Grand entries into metro areas view freeways.

Atlside

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I am fond of the Interstate 71/75 approach from Kentucky. The highway is on top of a large hill in Park Hills at milemarker 189 but descends around milemarker 191 at a 6% grade. A sweeping curve reveals a transition from older subdivisions and buildings to the very vertical city of Cincinnati. The highway passes close to traditional row-houses in Newport, where old 1800s era Catholic churches are visible.

I'm also fond of the entire Interstate 64/77 setup in Charleston, West Virginia. Interstate 64/77s multiplex passes next to the state capitol complex on a two-tiered roadway setup, where portions are cantilevered over each other due to the lack of space. Interstate 64 also crosses the West End on an impressive viaduct, a compressed arch span, and has several impressive interchanges. One is a three-level "Y" interchange, the other is a four-level as it passes over local streets and includes piers in buildings, land, and water.

I uploaded photographs to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roads_of_Char...C_West_Virginia

It is probably right under my nose, but I can't seem to find the following photos:

Downtown Cincinatti from KY.

Downtown Pittsburgh from the Fort Pitt Tunnel.

From what I have gathered, these are the two most impressive views of a skyline from the highway.

I would love to see these.

I live in Lexington and we don't have a limited-access sprawling through our downtown, thank goodness. But I think Cincinnati is pretty dramatic when coming from the south out of Kentucky. It is much better at night, and has that 'whoa' factor because it practically emerges out of nowhere.

*Edit: Well that picture didn't work.

I'll try to snag a good picture around Christmas time if I can without taking out three lanes of traffic.

My favorite entry into New Orleans is I-10 westbound. Once you've crossed Lake Ponchartrain, you enter New Orleans East, which turns from swamps and marches into neighborhoods, and then more neighborhoods and shopping centers. As you near downtown, you make a turn and begin to drive up the I-10 "high-rise" over the Industrial Canal, and you look over and see your first glimpse of New Orleans' awesome skyline:

img73173borderrd6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Add on another vote for Cincinnati I-75 south approach. The city literally just rises out of the hills. Another great thing about that approach is that on the Kentucky side, while there is plenty of sprawl, the hills provide a natural ambiance making the appearence of the city that more unexpected and dramatic.

I also sorta like coming into Cincinnati via 71 from the northeast. Again, a lot of hills, older homes, and sprawl and then as you turn a corner you are looking down into the river valley and the entire Queen City itself.

• 2 weeks later...

First, I have to agree with a few here: the northbound I-75 approach to Cincinnati from Kentucky is pretty phenomenal!

My hometown, Ann Arbor, Mich., has some really good urban views, but none of them are from the freeway. The freeways ring the city and the terrain is hilly enough that you never get a view of downtown from there.

However, here's a good shot of my home away from home, Milwaukee, Wisc. This is a view of about half of downtown from the Hoan Bridge (I-794) heading north:

1490680733097a226ffb5hc.jpg

On the outskirts of Tulsa Oklahoma, when your heading west on the Cherokee turnpike 412 from Northwest Arkansas you feel in the middle of no where. Its a divided four lane, moderate traffic , then you come up on a hill , as you reach the top you see something appear and its the Creek Turnpike interchange flyover, then the traffic starts to speed up, the four lane gets tighter with a concrete divider, about three miles up 412 splits and forms I-44 heading southwest and 412/244 continuing west. 244 widens into 6 and then 8 lanes heading through the neighborhoods and finaly after winding through the hills you see the downtown loop interchange sign, look to your left and you'll see this....

madridtulsa17pz.th.jpg

Click on it for a bigger image.

Archived