Grand entries into metro areas view freeways.

Atlside

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'm biased, but I think Hartford makes one of the best "first impressions". It's pretty dramatic all the way around - kind of like, "who would've thought Hartford would be so impressive"; "wow, that's Hartford?"

Of course, Hartford has an incredibly compact core of highrises. Something frightening for folks who prefer urban to suburban - check out the amount of land used for a highway interchange vs. the amount of land for the core of Hartford. When people talk about highways and cars, use this picture and ask them, how much tax revenue is generated by the land used for the interchange vs. how much tax revenue (or jobs) is generated by the more compact core of Hartford!

post-493-1162934724_thumb.jpg

post-493-1162934724_thumb.jpg

Tucson's just sort of hits you suddenly.

Coming from the southeast (I-10 westbound) is especially funny because you enter the city limits at Houghton Road (15 miles or so from Downtown) but just see mostly open desert until I-19 or Sixth Avenue, which is right by Downtown.

From the northwest (I-10 eastbound), it's different because that's sort of the sprawl area, but you do hit the Marana city limits sign at the county line when you're surrounded by farms and right by the commercial airplane boneyard at Pinal Air Park.

The south on I-19 is similar to the southeast because of the indian reservation, although you do see a little development before that in Green Valley and Sahuarita and you go under the relatively new SPUI bridge at Valencia at the start of the city.

Similarly, in Phoenix coming from Tucson, you're in the middle of the Gila River Indian Community in the desert and just hit the mess of freeways and sprawl at the 202 interchange, only about 15 miles from Downtown and in one of the more desirable parts of the metro area.

Detroit has 2 grand entry views from the freeway. The most notorious is from northbound I-75 south of the city over the Rouge River Bridge. On both sides of the bridge is heavy industry and smokestacks, and as you crest the top of the bridge the skyline appears elongated and has the Ambassador Bridge in front of it. It's a pretty cool entry.

The other is from southbound I-75 on the north side of the city at the Davison Freeway interchange, which is about 5 miles from downtown. The freeway has a higher elevation, and you can see the skyline off in the distance. It is similar to the Windsor view only flip-flopped.

I will have to get these pictures someday soon.

Lansing doesn't really have but one good freeway vista on the Olds Freeway, and that's mostly because their is only one freeway that cuts directly through the city. All of the rest are part of the beltway surrounding the city.

I always thought the southbound Chrysler drive coming up on downtown Detroit, though. Was pretty nice:

299100848_ec855e2d81_o.jpg

Tony Hiller

Detroit doesn't have many, though, because all of the freeways through the city are below grade. Much better view can be seen from the spoke roads, IMO.

The most interesting view I've ever seen is from around I-94 at 275 from Metro Airport. I couldn't believe from that far away that I could see the top of the skyline.

I-15 from the south into Las Vegas. ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT.

Why?

After TRAVERSING 150 MILES OF DARK DESERT, THE ROAD APPROACHES A SLIGHT RISE, ROUNDS A BEND, AND THEN.......VERY QUICKLY, WITHIN 10 SECONDS OR SO.....THE ENTIRE LAS VEGAS VALLEY IS SPREAD OUT BEFORE YOU....AND RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE IS THE STRIP......LIT UP LIKE NOTHING ELSE ON EARTH.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not a huge "Vegas guy". Couple times a year - max.

But the suddeness of that panoramic view is incredible.

I may be a little bias but I have always thought that my hometown of Grand Rapids has some pretty good entrances. unlike many other cities in MI where the freeways runs either to far from downtown or is below grade, Grand Rapids has some higher altitude places where the skyline is visible from over 10 miles away (even hough the tallest building is only 333 feet) N. bound 131 south of 84 street and also at E. bound 196 all the way in Ottawa county approaching the county line. There are several good views comming in on E. bound 196 and right before down town you go along a hill side that reminds me of a very similar entrance to Chattanooga TN. 131 south bound and 196 west bound also have good views approaching but not from as far away. Sorry no pics but maybe next time I go back I could capture a few

by the way, that toronto pic is awsome and my favorite cities are probably Chicago from the south, STL from east and Cincy from KY

^ Northbound S-Curve through downtown Grand Rapids

2006_0429GrndRapids_Apr_29_060133.jpg

2006_0429GrndRapids_Apr_29_060130.jpg

The S-Curve allows motorists to get up close and personal with the Grand Rapids skyline as it weaves through the buildings and over the river. A brief period of excitement on the US-131 Freeway.

You don't exactly get a grand view of Atlanta on I-75 coming from Cobb County, but I do like how you're suddenly put right into the middle of midtown with all its skyscrapers.

Also, does anyone have views of Cincinnati from when you're driving up I-75 in Kentucky. The first time I ever drove through there, it was late at night and I had no clue I was close to the city. The road curved around the hill and, all of a sudden, the Cincinnati skyline took up the entire horizon. I thought that was pretty cool.

It is probably right under my nose, but I can't seem to find the following photos:

Downtown Cincinatti from KY.

Downtown Pittsburgh from the Fort Pitt Tunnel.

From what I have gathered, these are the two most impressive views of a skyline from the highway.

I would love to see these.

Archived