Art in the Park

goodbye

Today kicked off the 15th annual Art in the Park in downtown Greenville. The weather has been perfect and people are everywhere. I enjoyed the extra artists this year, and was surprised how much it has grown from last year.

Falls Park on the Reedy is continually gaining in both beauty and reputation. The RiverPlace fountain is back in operation and the artist studios along the riverwalk are buzzing with activity. One of my friends who has a studio there told me that he has been amazed how many people come by from other countries. He was on his way downstream to Falls Park for a live demonstration in clay sculpture.

I would say this festival, along with every other one held downtown, is snowballing every year. If you haven't visited yet, I highly recommend doing so tomorrow. If you have, what are your thoughts? If you have photos, post them here so we can all proudly discuss the event and look forward to next year. I have a few I'll add soon. :thumbsup:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice shots, RT! Your last photo looks so inviting. :D I saw NYT's great entries at the UVA display as well. He ought to consider raising his price. ;)

Nice catch RT!

Skyliner, I've thought about raising my prices too, but I also want to sell them. I've seen so many pieces not sell because people put such high prices on them. Since I really haven't made a name for myself in Greenville, I figured, I'd try to get some stuff out there and in front of people. By keeping my prices lower, I've actually sold enough of my work to buy two new lenses. :thumbsup:

Nice catch RT!

By keeping my prices lower, I've actually sold enough of my work to buy two new lenses. :thumbsup:

Hmmm, I need some new camera gear....

Seriously though, I paid more attention to the photographer booths this time around. Granted, there was some outstanding work, but there was also some so-so work. I dare say most of what RT and NYT have displayed here is better than that last category.

Hmmm, I need some new camera gear....

Seriously though, I paid more attention to the photographer booths this time around. Granted, there was some outstanding work, but there was also some so-so work. I dare say most of what RT and NYT have displayed here is better than that last category.

NYT: I picked up a UVA membership application and will be joining sometime in the near future. I've just felt all along that my work is completely inadequate compared to a lot of what I have seen elsewhere. Had I had your asking price on me, there'd be a little orange "SOLD" circle sticker on your photo, too, but the wife controls the purse strings.

Incidentally, I've been told that Art in the Park is looking to expand its footprint for next year to, among other things, **perhaps** move the children's area up to the main level to make it easier for parents to get to it and also to provide family-friendly food alternatives at affordable prices. If anybody has any suggestions or feedback to provide on improving Art in the Park, let me know and I can pass them along.

Hubby and I had a *fabulous* time at Art in the Park on Sunday. Walked all around the park and the RiverPlace area... rode the trolley to see where it went... as we were riding by the stadium, I remarked to hubby, "you know, Greenville is really starting to look like a city!" That area actually kind of reminded me, a little, of Newbury St. in Boston, with those shop fronts waiting for neat little boutiques and restaurants. (maybe that was intentional, since we have a "big green monster" too). Anyway, a far, far cry from my earliest memories of Greenville in the '70's and 80's.

Go, go, Greenville!! :yahoo:

NYT: I picked up a UVA membership application and will be joining sometime in the near future. I've just felt all along that my work is completely inadequate compared to a lot of what I have seen elsewhere. Had I had your asking price on me, there'd be a little orange "SOLD" circle sticker on your photo, too, but the wife controls the purse strings.

Incidentally, I've been told that Art in the Park is looking to expand its footprint for next year to, among other things, **perhaps** move the children's area up to the main level to make it easier for parents to get to it and also to provide family-friendly food alternatives at affordable prices. If anybody has any suggestions or feedback to provide on improving Art in the Park, let me know and I can pass them along.

Way to go RT! :yahoo: I look forward to seeing your work in the UVA exhibits. It is well worth the membership price. Your work is absolutely up there as far as I've seen from you. Besides, you have to start someplace, and what better place than in the city you call home. :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

I know this is really advanced notice, but I just discovered that this year's Art in the Park will coincide with the awesome Southern Exposure food, music, and wine festival. The South Carolina Children's Theatre will be opening their next season at The Peace Center that weekend as well. What a fantastic time to enjoy and show off our city to newcomers. (hint!) :shades:

Archived