Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ScottCLT

Charlotte Observer "Urbies"

7 posts in this topic

I saw the 2006 "Urbie" awards on Charlotte.com and they echo the same stuff that I've seen discussed here for months.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/new...om/15528849.htm

One new topic mentioned was that CPCC was planning on razing Athens to make way for more parking. Have any of you heard about this? I would have to say that I would never eat at Athens if I were sober, but at the same time, it is such an institution for the late night drunk crowd. I don't frequent Athens as much as I used to, but I have been going to that place for 10 years on random Friday and Saturday nights at 2 a.m. Even though quality-of-food-wise, Coffee Cup and Athens aren't on the same level in my book, it is STILL a Charlotte landmark.

It's been known here for some time here that Athens was going away. Only the Observer and the local media is presenting closing day like it is something new. All of the unsuccessful Peeps will have to find another place to stagger into now 2am in the morning after last call so they can talk about the ones that did find a bed partner for the night. :shades:

Well, Athens does have a great deal of local color and that is hard to replicate. Luckily, there are a few other establishments left to carry the torch. For now. Charlotte is a city that puts value on new everything and dismisses the past. I have known about the demolition for almost a year. Another well deserved Urbie could have been East Blvd's realignment. As a frequent runner and walker of this street, the lane narrowing resulted in a great improvement. Its much less dangerous for pedestrians and less nerve wracking to drive on because motorists are now forced to go slow and not tailgate!

I am disappointed that Athens didn't take CPCC up on their offer of the ground floor retail space. Their excuse of "not enough parking" in my opinion is total b/s when the place is surrounded by parking decks. It sounds like what they want is a space with adjacent walk up surface parking. Lately when I go out with friends for a late night meal we have gone to Skyland Diner instead of Athens...but I will try and trek over there before they close in the next few weeks.

I went to Athens for the first time saturday night it was a cool place, had fun and there was a lil of everyone from me and my gay friends to all the different races all in all a fun place and kinda sad its gonna be gone soon.

It sucks that they're closing. How about ONE single diner within the 277 loop - too much to ask? Someplace where I can stuff my face late night other than Fuel Pizza.

Mert's is open till 2am on the weekend. Their food is like what you would get at a typical diner...but better. Also Pita Pit is open till 4am.