Proposal: COUNTY OFFICES MOVING?!

goodbye

I like the idea of moving county square and building a mixed-use development in its place, but I don't like where their moving the county offices to. It makes it a lot further of a distance for the poor people living on the west side of town. Also, it's just going to cause more traffic headaches on the already busy Woodruff Rd. I wish they would of moved the county offices to a new skyscraper downtown instead of on Woodruff Rd.

As we have already discussed, that would be great but it is not an option. So what is your choice?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On WYFF tonight, their story said that one hope is that the new office will help spur more growth in the area (meaning Woodruff Rd). Thanks, but no thanks, if that's the goal. The state's busiest road doesn't need any more development. A place in the Millenium Campus or Verdae would be much better suited for the County Offices. But other than that, I say 'pack your bags' to the County.

I'd dare anybody to contact a friend outside South Carolina and say the following, with a straight face:

"A nearly vacant mall in my town that used to house some relatively upscale stores such as Williams-Sonoma, but that failed twice and is featured on deadmalls.com, is being redeveloped as a 'refined' shopping center, in the developer's words, anchored by a Costco, a Rooms to Go, a movie theater, a Sports Authority, a Myrtle Beach-style high rise and county government offices. I can't wait!"

I'd dare anybody to contact a friend outside South Carolina and say the following, with a straight face:

"A nearly vacant mall in my town that used to house some relatively upscale stores such as Williams-Sonoma, but that failed twice and is featured on deadmalls.com, is being redeveloped as a 'refined' shopping center, in the developer's words, anchored by a Costco, a Rooms to Go, a movie theater, a Sports Authority, a Myrtle Beach-style high rise and county government offices. I can't wait!"

The stores may not be top notch in terms of the name, but I think that the architecture of the project will be upscale and modern like we've never seen before in Greenville. I think the Myrtle Beach aspect will not make it out of the ground. Changes will most likely be made. I can say that the potential County tower looks awesome, though.

What is the big deal about the project being filled with such High End Retailers? Really, there are much fewer high end shoppers than middle and low end shoppers, Maybe Targeting the high end was Greenville Malls mistake, and maybe doing the same thing here would cause the same problems. You know not everybody can afford to shop a Brooks Brothers and Prada. I am sorry that us humble masses aren't as refined as you are.

And in response to another reader, and this may sound odd considering my response above. But doesn't make more sense to put the offices closer to the people who are actually paying the taxes that are covering the bands it is going to take to make this work?

The stores may not be top notch in terms of the name, but I think that the architecture of the project will be upscale and modern like we've never seen before in Greenville. I think the Myrtle Beach aspect will not make it out of the ground. Changes will most likely be made. I can say that the potential County tower looks awesome, though.

I heard somewhere (the Journal perhaps?) that the city has already told the developer that the 'Myrtle Beach' architecture needs to be replaced. I too expect it to get the axe at some point before construction starts.

mallguy, how is redeveloping Greenville Mall any different than turning an abandoned industrial site into Atlanta's Atlantic Station? The problem with Greenville Mall is that it could never competed with Haywood Mall because it was 1) smaller, 2) worse sited (for it's time), 3) was a Mall, when mall were growing tired generally, 4) was too close to Haywood 5) was in a community with too many malls to begin with.

If this redevelopment takes place, it will more likely be HAYWOOD that will be suffering.

I heard somewhere (the Journal perhaps?) that the city has already told the developer that the 'Myrtle Beach' architecture needs to be replaced. I too expect it to get the axe at some point before construction starts.

mallguy, how is redeveloping Greenville Mall any different than turning an abandoned industrial site into Atlanta's Atlantic Station? The problem with Greenville Mall is that it could never competed with Haywood Mall because it was 1) smaller, 2) worse sited (for it's time), 3) was a Mall, when mall were growing tired generally, 4) was too close to Haywood 5) was in a community with too many malls to begin with.

If this redevelopment takes place, it will more likely be HAYWOOD that will be suffering.

I think the main reason Greenville Mall suffered in its second life is because so many of its anchors closed for reasons out of the mall's control. You are correct about all of those points though, and I agree. :thumbsup: We have our own NIMBYs and NOMWRs (Not on my Woodruff Road) here in Greenville, but as time progresses and new developments pop up, they'll see what we're talking about.

What is the big deal about the project being filled with such High End Retailers? Really, there are much fewer high end shoppers than middle and low end shoppers, Maybe Targeting the high end was Greenville Malls mistake, and maybe doing the same thing here would cause the same problems. You know not everybody can afford to shop a Brooks Brothers and Prada. I am sorry that us humble masses aren't as refined as you are.

And in response to another reader, and this may sound odd considering my response above. But doesn't make more sense to put the offices closer to the people who are actually paying the taxes that are covering the bands it is going to take to make this work?

I'm not the one who said this project is "refined". The developer did. With a Rooms to Go and a government office tower, it's hardly refined.

I'm not the one who said this project is "refined". The developer did. With a Rooms to Go and a government office tower, it's hardly refined.

I suppose that depends on your particular definition of "refined." You're obviously using the definition which eludes to culture and elegance. Perhaps the developer simply means that the makeup of the center is being refined to better meet our demographic components than what it had been? :unsure: I don't personally see why it can't be an eclectic mixture of alternatives for both the wealthy and the working man (and maybe even the wealthy working man).

I suppose that depends on your particular definition of "refined." You're obviously using the definition which eludes to culture and elegance. Perhaps the developer simply means that the makeup of the center is being refined to better meet our demographic components than what it had been? :unsure: I don't personally see why it can't be an eclectic mixture of alternatives for both the wealthy and the working man (and maybe even the wealthy working man).

I am sort of wrong about the "refined" word- it describes the architecture, not the stores. "Upscale" and "high end" are the developer's words about the stores, etc.

http://www.theshoppingcentergroup.com/cont...t-121-1-415.htm

http://carolinanewswire.com/news/News.cgi?...d=9618&op=t

and Compared to Sams Club COSTCO is upscale. I really think though we should with hold Judgement on the tennant mix until we know what it is.

We do know more or less- Costco, Rooms to Go, Sports Authority, a movie theater, and then the strip mall next door. There will be some smaller tenants, but I can tell you with 100% certainty, based on those anchors, that they will not include Louis Vuitton and Burberry.

We do know more or less- Costco, Rooms to Go, Sports Authority, a movie theater, and then the strip mall next door. There will be some smaller tenants, but I can tell you with 100% certainty, based on those anchors, that they will not include Louis Vuitton and Burberry.

So what?

I have never been in either of those stores, would Gville as a metro even meet their demographic?

Apple Store and Cheesecake Factory were mentioned in the article, and I would consider those to be more upscale than the current tenant mix.

Jacksonville's St John's Town Center (open less than a year) has both of those stores as well as more mid-line retailers. They are adding a second phase that is expect to have a Nordstrom or Saks or Neiman Marcus (or a combination of those). Maybe there is a trend toward mixing middle and high-end tenants in major new projects.

Does anyone have any pictures of Bell Tower Mall in its short-lived heyday? I remember it on its deathbed, with a laundromat across from the Baskin-Robbins at the entrance, and seeing the Winn-Dixie sign being taken down, but not much more.

Thanks.

I don't have any pictures but I remember going the the Baskin Robins a lot when I was in my "single digits". The baskin Robbins was where the entrance you go to pay taxes and stuff is now. The interior of the Mall was similiar to the old Rock Hill Mall in Rock Hill,SC if anywhere ever went there in the 80's or early 90's before Rock Hill build the Galleria. The Winn-Dixie was on the lower level facing church street and what is now the family courthouse (is it still a court house?) was a 2-4 screen movie theater. The last things I remember seeing at that theater were the worst movies I ever saw. That Lone Ranger "remake" and and awful 3-D movie called, "Treasure of the Four Crowns". Well come to think of it what 3-D movie is good? Also the recycling center used to be a Hess gas station.

I think you're right on point. As much as I like shopping centers, I don't have any strong recollections of being inside the mall while it was still open- only after it died, and the interior was a sad sight (like the Asian mall on N. Tryon in Charlotte). I assume it never did much business inside, in particular after Haywood opened in 1980 and sucked the life out of downtown?

I think you're right on point. As much as I like shopping centers, I don't have any strong recollections of being inside the mall while it was still open- only after it died, and the interior was a sad sight (like the Asian mall on N. Tryon in Charlotte). I assume it never did much business inside, in particular after Haywood opened in 1980 and sucked the life out of downtown?

I think I remember a bookstore (someone mentioned the Open Book which moved to McCalister Square and then to a stand alone building) but other than that I can't remember much however as a small child I only cared about going their for the ice cream and movies.

Archived