Proposal: COUNTY OFFICES MOVING?!

goodbye

I figured they might have more than just that one site plan considering the scope and size of this development. They probably got one for if they do move and then one for if they dont move. Or they might just have a piece of land already reserved for county offices if they do move and nothing else really changes in the site plan

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just thought I'd throw this out there...

...from a planning standpoint... there is the school of thought that high-rises can be density killers, if not done right. Many modern high-rises, in response to suburban worker-demand, are integrating parking into their structures. Which sounds good, but often parking is placed on the bottom floors, killing any possibility of having functional activity occuring at the ground level.

The end result is a "suburbanization" of a downtown office complex, where 95% of activity to and from a building is via a vehicle.

Not that I think that any new high rise built here would necessarily suffer from this same thing, but I just wanted to make the point that the presence of a high rise doesn't necessarily equate to density and great urban design.

I would prefer for County offices to be in a new tower downtown, which would still open up County Square for development. Obviously that isn't going to happen, so putting County offices at Magnolia Park is okay with me. This opportunity to develop County Square with a quality mixed-use development is too great to pass up. If this deal doesn't go through, what are the chances County Offices will ever move or redevelop the property? Knowing government, it will be slim to none.

I am concerned about the added traffic burden on Woodruff Road. The only consolation, as someone commented on the Greenville Online forums, is that county employees will have to contend with Woodruff Road traffic every day. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I don't work at county, but I have spoke to a county official who told me that the deal is pretty much set in stone. The county however leases space to other offices and they are currently looking for places to relocate the other buisnesses to.

Archived