People/Law Enforcement take life too seriously

Snowguy716

I think most of what she says is true. Our society has its panties up in such a tight wad that it is affecting our vision. Social/civil libertarians rejoice! :)

I am so tired of reading about so many locals and such being dragged in and out of court, fined and put on ridiculous amounts of probation for trite violations. Why has everything become such a huge and urgent issue to make everyone “pay the piper” for an indiscretion, absent-minded decision and what not? We are punishing all who attempt to “push any envelope,” as if to say, “I, Beltrami Dudley Do-Right” will show you!

I am sick and tired of hearing those goody-goody court workers say, “Well, it is the law and they broke it.” Well, if all laws must be adhered to with such blind and stupid uncaring fair, then why are “Bemidji’s Finest” not arresting all who are guilty of fornication, a law that is still on the books? Now who decides if a law is being broken so much, by so many, that we will just ignore that particular law?

Whatever happened to warnings, don’t do it again, three strikes and you’re out? When society tries to clamp down and moralize, they only lay the groundwork for clever deceit and a lot of underground vice. Controlling people always winds up being lied to. Human beings are independent and will do what they choose to do. There is not much left to do that is fun, especially for the teens and young adults. Remember Chinese fire drills, cow tipping, pulling doughnuts, parking, t-papering houses, senior pranks, cramming their cabs and phone booths, streaking? These are all now considered crimes and our “Dudley Do-Rights” never seem to miss a chance to arrest the violators.

There isn’t much left for pushing the social mores any longer either. Some people do enjoy a risk or two of behavior. Why must our law enforcement personnel be so brash and rude, overly serious, unfriendly, always so suspicious and unreasonable?

Sandy B.

Bemidji

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like I'm not the only one who feels like we're living in a police state....

For the past two + decades I've been much more frightened of the police than criminals. When I lived in Florida the police were like thugs---rude, loud, sinister. Almost everyone I knew was terrified of the police there.

In Washington State, the cops are a lot nicer, and less like Rambo. But still they are cops, who have the power to arrest me for the damndest silly things.

People should admire police officers. They shouldn't fear them.

http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

The link above is a rather chilling picture of just how often police raids are botched and innocents die or have their lives interrupted. We live in a police state where the police often do more harm than good.

Much of that could be fixed with the elimination of the war on drugs, but it doesn't look like that is on the horizon yet.

This is so true. Here in Charlotte, people are arrested on a regular basis for having sex (or trying to) in public parks. While I don't want my parks to be filled with creepy types lurking in the bushes or restrooms seeking that certain type of gratification (and I also think they are sort of stupid when there are a multitude of websites they could go to and find all carnal fun they could ever want), aren't there FAR more important crimes that our police resources could be used for?

Archived