Hartford: Abundance of Bustle

HartfordTycoon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday (Sunday) was a big disappointment in Hartford. An 80 degree day and there was no place to eat outside in downtown Hartford. Tourists, concert goers, visitors to the home show and they couldn't find a place to enjoy the great weather and grab a bite to eat.

Here was the scene at 3PM downtown:

1. Black Eyed Sally's CLOSED

2. Hot Tomato's CLOSED

3. Trumbull Kitchen CLOSED

4. Bin 228 CLOSED

5. Spris CLOSED

6. Pump House Grille CLOSED

How are we to attract visitors to the capital city if restaurants refuse to open?

Yesterday (Sunday) was a big disappointment in Hartford. An 80 degree day and there was no place to eat outside in downtown Hartford. Tourists, concert goers, visitors to the home show and they couldn't find a place to enjoy the great weather and grab a bite to eat.

2. Hot Tomato's CLOSED

4. Bin 228 CLOSED

5. Spris CLOSED

How are we to attract visitors to the capital city if restaurants refuse to open?

Answer: More and more residential downtown and close to downtown, there's a point that they would have no choice....

Answer: More and more residential downtown and close to downtown, there's a point that they would have no choice....

That's the only way, they need to know that they are consistently missing out on crowds of customers. I guess it's not enough that they miss crowds when they just so happen to be here. They need to experience and get used to having people downtown all of the time. So that they understand that they need to be open almost all of the time.

I was in the city Saturday around lunch time when there was the open house at the old state house, the dragon boat races, the walk in the park, and the shriners convention. That day places like Hot Tomato's, Red Plate, Mayor Mike's, McKinnons and City Steam were open and had people in them. I tried to make a reservation for that evening at City Steam for 7:00pm and they said they were booked, all they had was 500. I then went to Vivo made a reservation for 630 and the place was packed...and many of the people there were not from the convention.

It would be nice if downtown restaurants knew when events were happening downtown so they could try to stay open.

Come on you guys, people in the food business need some R&R too. Actually more like I&I :lol: .

There are a few e-mails from Chamber and Arts Concil that are sent to merchants letting them know about coming events in Hartford. I think most restaurants know, but it is very hard to staff people for a few Sundays here and there. You are either committed to open on Sunday or you are not. Jojo's had a good increase on Sunday, but if I do not open every Sunday, I'd won't open just for this Sunday either. There are other 7 days places in Hartford, some just for dinner. Koji, Joe Black, Vaughn's, Agave, Feng (I think).

Personally I have mixed feelings on this whole thing.

I love Hartford and I know Hartford. I know if I was downtown on Sunday and didnt see many restaurants open I would still know that downtown is home to some great, successfull restaurants. I would know that is Max Downtown or Hot Tomatos or something wasnt open that these are still great places that make a killing when they are open.

Now on the other hand if I had never been to Hartford I would be very dissapointed to see what look like great restaurants....Max Downtown on the ground floor of the state's tallest building, Hot Tomato's at a historic train station, Spris at Constitution Plaza, etc....not be open.

With me I know all the ins and outs of Hartford but first impressions can be lasting so it would be nice if a core group of restaurants could be open...for example City Steam is always open

Personally I have mixed feelings on this whole thing.

I love Hartford and I know Hartford. I know if I was downtown on Sunday and didnt see many restaurants open I would still know that downtown is home to some great, successfull restaurants. I would know that is Max Downtown or Hot Tomatos or something wasnt open that these are still great places that make a killing when they are open.

Now on the other hand if I had never been to Hartford I would be very dissapointed to see what look like great restaurants....Max Downtown on the ground floor of the state's tallest building, Hot Tomato's at a historic train station, Spris at Constitution Plaza, etc....not be open.

With me I know all the ins and outs of Hartford but first impressions can be lasting so it would be nice if a core group of restaurants could be open...for example City Steam is always open

They will open if they have a chance to make money, right now the demand just isn't there. You can't staff a restaurant for the chance people may come in. In time with more people living downtown more restaurants will realize a business and open...

2. Hot Tomato's CLOSED

4. Bin 228 CLOSED

5. Spris CLOSED

Very odd that they would all be closed on a weekend day.

Archived