Things you would like to see return

linkerjpatrick

Things have changed in Greenville a big deal in the past few years but looking back to things I remember and things I heard about in the past the time might be ripe for the return of some classics. Here are my submissions;

1.) Krispy Kreme in the Westend - I remember back in the 70's (and I assume it was there in the 60's as well). Right across the street from where the Mellow Mushroom/Warehouse Theater are was a small Krispy Kreme. It was a classic spot for the ocassional sweet donut treat. With the revival of the Westend it would be great to see Krispy Kreme return. Would be a great stop after a ball game, walk at Falls Park, Concert at the Peace Center, etc.

2.) Parker High School - Why in the world the trash such a classic looking building is beyond me but the section of town could use some serious revitalization. Just down the road at Monagan they are renovating the old mill into condo. I think they should build the old school back maybe not as a school but as something related to changing that area.

3.) Downtown movie theater - I never saw it but they used to have some movie theaters downtown. Yes, with the bigger style like Cherrydale Cinemas I don't see a full-fledged cinema but I think Hendersonville has something that is a combination resteraunt/movie theater.

4.) The Astro - The was the coolest movie theater around. I think it was where I saw my first movie (either Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Song of the South) and was the location I first saw Star Wars. I loved the 1960's Space Race theme with the Astronaut and Astronauties restroom, long walk way with stars on the ceiling, etc.

5.) Dreamland - I've only read about it. The location is where Lowes and the Peddler on Pointsett Hwy is now. Maybe another recreational area with a similar theme could be developed near by, say at the current vacant Ingles store location.

6.) Cash and Carry - The was a big grocery store with old wooden floors and the a neat bottle return location (You dropped your used bottled office and they mysteriously disappeared in the basement. This was located on Old Bucombe Road (Now Pete Hollis Hwy near Hardees and McDonalds) Cash and Carry does current operate a small pharmacy there. I think it's time to bring the store back to roughly the same location.

I'm glad to see the Camelot came back better than ever.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not always living in the past but I think some bad decisions were made in the past and some of these places would do well to bring back what was once there because it would be great preserve the history in places other than museums.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see more retail downtown. I miss the old Belks with its twists and turns and odd openings onto various streets.

That old Belk's store seemed to defy the laws of physics. Maybe I got the odd perception because I don't think the floors had the same heights. The oddest memory I have of that place is going there with my mother some time during the 70's. I was one the third floor which seemed impossibly large compared to the outside of the building. Anyway at one time their was what looked like a personal computer sitting on a table not far from the elevator. I remember walking up to it and punching buttons on the keyboard and seeing different shaped blocks drawn on the screen. It's odd because I don't think any personal computers were out during that time unless it was an Apple II but why in the world would one have been just sitting on a table in the middle of the ladies dresses section. The basement of the Belk's was the complete opposite of the ornate 3rd floor. If I recall they only sold men's overall and jeans and some bargain basement items.

Not being as old as some people on this forum, I can't recall too much that isn't still around (atleast things I'd want back). So, I'll make a contribution by telling you what i'm glad is gone.

-The Camperdown Way Bridge

One thing I'd like to see return, though I never saw in person, is the Woodside building.

I did see the Woodside building, and it was cool for it's time.

One thing I love about the Peace Center is the way it incorporates the old with the new. I wish that could have been done with more of our long-gone architectural treasures. The ones that come to mind are the Old Records Building, Old Textile Hall, old city hall, and the old railway depot.

Ottaray Hotel

Abolutely. Not much style from the sides or back, but that rounded front and the porch on the second floor had tremendous architectural interest. I know a lot of you are tired of the brick and want something different downtown, but I think that the Ottaray would be a great re-addition.

Abolutely. Not much style from the sides or back, but that rounded front and the porch on the second floor had tremendous architectural interest. I know a lot of you are tired of the brick and want something different downtown, but I think that the Ottaray would be a great re-addition.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned old City Hall yet!

Also, the old railroad station at the end of Washington.

There used to be a train tressel off of Mcbee that was pretty cool

I'm suprised no one has mentioned old City Hall yet!

There used to be a train tressel off of Mcbee that was pretty cool

Let me be the first to officially welcome you to UrbanPlanet.org, johnboyanoski! :D

Someone (Beowulf) mentioned both the old City Hall and the old train station already, and I completely agree with the hopes to rebuild City Hall on the former location. Whatever is built there will hopefully incorporate a plaza or large open deck only one story up so that people can still amass for events along Main and Broad. Think of the perspective available for the US Pro Cycling Championships. :)

Welcome to U.P., JB! :lol:

It'd be cool to have an old fashioned railroad station return. Heck, it seems Columbia still has nearly all of theirs. Perhaps if we ever do have a light rail system, the main station could be built to resemble one of the old fashioned railroad stations that once existed here.

I think the late 60's, early 70's were a blight on Greenville from an architectural standpoint. That seems to be when many of these architectural gems were abandoned or torn down.

Of course, that's the same time frame that gave us the Daniel Building (or whatever it's called now.)

Archived