Where do you find relaxation?

Snowguy716

Most of my posts at Urban Planet are political, and I decided it would be cool to start a completely non-political thread.

Where do you go for refuge or relaxation?

During the summer I find the best place to relax is at my family's lake cabin. Surrounded by nothing but the sounds birds and loons, and occasional boat along with the smell of grilling meat is always associated with relaxation.

In the winter, I find relaxation indoors, but also skiing. To me, schussing down a slope is relaxing. It's always so nice to go out into the woods in the winter, because you hear nothing at all. This is very relaxing, especially knowing that the cold loneliness of the winter world can be countered by the coziness of your home with family and friends, a good book, or a hot bath.

Simple pleasures relax me the most.

How about you?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My personal library is my place of relaxation. I completed the room recently, and I'm now proceeding to stock it - the collection is not yet as complete as I would like to be, but large enough to keep me entertained, and look formidable.

I probably spend 2-3 hours each night reading.

Oh man, Im jealous! I love to read, its easily my favorite thing to do when I want to unwind.

One of my favorite things to do is get out and travel or just wander.

For example, I love going to places like Centennial Olympic Park or Piedmont Park in Atlanta to get away from life for a while. I love a good trip almost anywhere.

Aside from that, I freqeuntly find some relaxation while reading a good book or some parts of the newspaper (I say some because some parts can be a little distressing or depressing).

Sleepings always good, too ;)

Hiking does it for me. Between work and school, I don't have much time for relaxation lately. But there was a time when I would go to Crowders Mountain State Park (a 30 minute drive from Charlotte) or Kings Mountain National Military Park during the middle of the week for three or four hours and walk. Usually no one there but me and the solitude was great. Now the only walking I get to do is from a parking garage to a classroom building. Sigh.

I'm not stressed at all but like Miesian Corners I enjoy hiking, the contact with nature is a good thing.

I also like reading but I'm allways analyzing. I prefer look at architectural plans, and maps. All sorts of maps, historical atlases, ancient world, planets, town planning shemes. My favorite are city and road maps like IGN maps, Delorme A&G, etc. Making maps myself, imagining cities, yes, it's art. :P

I find joy relaxation with two things. Going to the local coffee shop (Caribou) and reading for an hour or so with my wife is a great time for both of us. Another is behind my camera. I shoot close to 1000 photos a week now and I love taking every single one, really calms me down!

I go for a walk or a run. It's the only time I can let my mind run free and really think about things. I swear some of my best ideas, whether for work or for my life, have come to me while I'm running.

^ You know, I'm not in a good enough shape yet where I can really run very long distances (plus I'm a smoker so that doesn't help the old lungs out any), but over the last couple of weeks I've developed a small habit of taking runs at night. It's really nice and kind of relaxing. I sometimes run down to this ridge near where I live and you can see the lights from downtown and it's pretty cool. Plus, I normally steal my girlfriend's ipod and that helps with the relaxation too.

Also, going to Clarks Hill Lake (Strom Thurmond Lake for all the SC people) is a pretty good way for me to relax as well. It's only a couple of dams south of Lake Hartwell, which I agree is one of the prettiest lakes I've ever seen.

Most of my posts at Urban Planet are political, and I decided it would be cool to start a completely non-political thread.

Where do you go for refuge or relaxation?

What, are you saying political debate isn't relaxing? :lol:

Seriously though, I relax through meditating and going out for photography. I can also spend hours reading on the rocks here:

10004112uj.jpg

Great question. Many interesting replies.

One of my favorite things to do, although I haven't done it for over a year, is to go on a silent retreat. Not a "directed" type of retreat with a leader, just one where I can do what I want to (sleep, read, meditate, pray, write, stare into space, hike, commune with nature and God, etc.) on my own schedule.

There's a place called The Hermitage in Three Rivers http://www.hermitagecommunity.org/main/. I've been going there for years. The best part is staying in one of their one-person, one-room cabins out in the woods on the 60-acre property. Especially in the winter--slugging through knee-deep snow for a mile to get to the cabin, starting a fire in the wood stove, cooking some cup-of-soup on the campstove, and just doing nothing but listening to the snow fall and letting the stress just slide off me.

Another aspect I like is that, because everybody maintains silence, I don't have to make small talk with the other guests and try to get to know them. I can close up and "go inside," and I'm not being rude. I'm a talker and an extrovert, but when I'm there and not talking, I really re-energize.

Man, after writing this I realize how much I miss not going. I'm calling tomorrow to make a reservation to go and rejuve and re-ignite the inner fire.

• 5 weeks later...

My personal library is my place of relaxation. I completed the room recently, and I'm now proceeding to stock it - the collection is not yet as complete as I would like to be, but large enough to keep me entertained, and look formidable.

I probably spend 2-3 hours each night reading.

Archived