Harrison: Mixed-Use MLS Stadium

Cotuit

2006_09_RedBullPark.jpg

Getting their kicks in Harrison. Red Bulls unveil details for a glitzy $220 million soccer stadium. [The Star-Ledger]

For Harrison, the stadium, scheduled to open in July 2008, will be the centerpiece of a $1 billion redevelopment plan that will convert Harrison's abandoned industrial waterfront into a modern, live-work-and-play transit village anchored by 800 apartments and dozens of stores and restaurants.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds kind of like what Newark's been trying to to with its riverfront stadium, or for that matter Camden with it's Campbell Field and NJ State Aquarium. Funny but it seems like small town gov'ts really get things done while big cities get stuck in the mud! <_< Great news for Harrison though! I always wanted to visit there.

• 4 weeks later...

This is part of a MASSIVE redevelopment vision for a large area in Harrison's eastern and southern portions. This stadium, combined with mid-rise office, retail, and residential buildings (something on the order of 7,000 housing units) will replace the worn industrial landscape (I have mixed feelings about that) and breathe new life into this municipality wedged between Newark and the Meadowlands.

Actually, despite the view from the PATH, Harrison is quite a vibrant town. It has become a popular and cheaper alternative to the Hudson riverfront for NYC, Newark, and Jersey City commuters. There are especially large populations of immigrants from Brazil and East Asia pouring into Harrison. Markets and small shops are seemingly doing quite well on Harrison Ave, the town's main street. With new investment coming into the industrial areas, and easy transit access to three of the region's major employment centers, Harrison seems to have a bright future ahead!

And yes, this area will be within easy walking distance from the Harrison PATH station. According to the NJ.com article, the parking deck associated with the stadium will also be used for PATH commuter parking.

This is part of a MASSIVE redevelopment vision for a large area in Harrison's eastern and southern portions. This stadium, combined with mid-rise office, retail, and residential buildings (something on the order of 7,000 housing units) will replace the worn industrial landscape (I have mixed feelings about that) and breathe new life into this municipality wedged between Newark and the Meadowlands.

Actually, despite the view from the PATH, Harrison is quite a vibrant town. It has become a popular and cheaper alternative to the Hudson riverfront for NYC, Newark, and Jersey City commuters. There are especially large populations of immigrants from Brazil and East Asia pouring into Harrison. Markets and small shops are seemingly doing quite well on Harrison Ave, the town's main street. With new investment coming into the industrial areas, and easy transit access to three of the region's major employment centers, Harrison seems to have a bright future ahead!

And yes, this area will be within easy walking distance from the Harrison PATH station. According to the NJ.com article, the parking deck associated with the stadium will also be used for PATH commuter parking.

I love Harrison. My brother used to live right off Frank Rodgers Blvd in a huge three-unit with a small backyard that was made to resemble a tropical rainforest. Well kept neighborhoods, low crime, good transit connections and lots of density are what sticks out most in my mind from my visits. Dense development near the PATH will be a nice addition, as right now one of the closest occupied structures near it is a dunkin donuts/wendys/quickchek strip mall.

FYI Harrison has the highest number of traffic lights per sq. mile or per road mile (can't remember which) in the country. Traffic is a non-issue though since everyone can walk everywhere or hop on the PATH.

FYI Harrison has the highest number of traffic lights per sq. mile or per road mile (can't remember which) in the country. Traffic is a non-issue though since everyone can walk everywhere or hop on the PATH.

I wonder if their traffic signal system is all connected on the same grid? So if your stuck at a red light, if the green light comes, would the rest of the lights ahead of you be green as well (like NYC is on some its avenues like 6th ave)? :D

Archived