• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I heard that construction is about to get started on this project:

The $160-million development consists of a 31-story, 420,000-square-foot building with about 470 housing units, an early childhood center, a grocery store, and retail establishments. Approximately 650 parking spaces will provided on three floors

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

IN PROGRESS: 360 State St.

NewHaven%20montage2_IMG2520_2008.04.29_FINAL%2002.jpg

http://www.designnewhaven.com/2008/04/500-...-mixed-use.html

The 500-unit, 34-story building is designed to be set back from the street and tower above a retail and parking garage base with glass entrance towers. The project, tentatively called "360 State" for its actual street address as well as its panoramic views of the region (and the fact that it is 36 stories tall), will even feature a half-acre landscaped terrace (sitting on top of the parking) with an outdoor pool. The developer expects to get the same rents as what the 227 Church Street luxury building currently gets -- $3,500 for 3BRs, $2,300 for 2BRs, $1,700 for 1BRs and $1,250 for studios. Most of the building will consist of studios and 1BRs. 10% of units in the building will have subsidized ("affordable") rents tied to income level.

looks like this project is under construction. I hope we can get some nice pics as it rises up. I am guessing steel wont begin to rise untill maybe winter

I would be so pleased if a building like this were built in Hartford. This one is about economies of scale and not about glitz. I think we could use a few places like this to help our pedestrian revolution. Good for New Haven!

another link

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archive...bye_sharten.php

Edited by The Voice of Reason

IN PROGRESS: 360 State St.

NewHaven%20montage2_IMG2520_2008.04.29_FINAL%2002.jpg

I would be so pleased if a building like this were built in Hartford. This one is about economies of scale and not about glitz. I think we could use a few places like this to help our pedestrian revolution. Good for New Haven!

Ooph. What happened to the lovely, thin building in the previous rendering? Another fat one for a city which already has too many - at least it'll fit right in. Pedestrian revolution? This thing squats down on an entire block and its parking garage takes up half of the streetscape. There's even a useless plaza as well.

Increased downtown residents is a plus, but New Haven shouldn't allow its streets to be sacrificed in this manner.

I'm pretty disappointed in the final design as well. The first rendering was a million times better and would have added way more to New Haven's kinda bland skyline. Oh well. It's still a net positive for the city I suppose, but what they are doing with the streetscape is concerning.

I'm pretty disappointed in the final design as well. The first rendering was a million times better and would have added way more to New Haven's kinda bland skyline. Oh well. It's still a net positive for the city I suppose, but what they are doing with the streetscape is concerning.

I know nothing about how this interacts with the street.

The design is not as pretty, but it is also not horrible. the OG looked much lighter and airy, but I think the angle of this rendering hurts the new look. I think from the same angle as the other renders this one will look very tall and slender. I also think the actual building will be much brighter than the render. you notice the windows are pretty dark in the rendering. I doubt they are using tinted glass in a residential tower. it just makes no sense, so expect that rendering to be a reference for scale and basic design rather than actual asthetic realities.

are there good views of what is happening at street level?

my jealousy was for a 500 unit residential tower, not really anything regarding the details of the project.

I know nothing about how this interacts with the street.

The design is not as pretty, but it is also not horrible. the OG looked much lighter and airy, but I think the angle of this rendering hurts the new look. I think from the same angle as the other renders this one will look very tall and slender. I also think the actual building will be much brighter than the render. you notice the windows are pretty dark in the rendering. I doubt they are using tinted glass in a residential tower. it just makes no sense, so expect that rendering to be a reference for scale and basic design rather than actual asthetic realities.

are there good views of what is happening at street level?

my jealousy was for a 500 unit residential tower, not really anything regarding the details of the project.

After re reading the announcement it will be retail and the parking garage at street level. So it may not be that bad at all. I think the tower will come out looking OK, but really like the first one. It was pretty unique in my opinion and what's actually going to be built is a little more standard. It will still improve NH's skyline though.

After re reading the announcement it will be retail and the parking garage at street level. So it may not be that bad at all. I think the tower will come out looking OK, but really like the first one. It was pretty unique in my opinion and what's actually going to be built is a little more standard. It will still improve NH's skyline though.

New Haven's skyline was its best when it was only this:

0089s.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Big blue construction fence in place, and lots of dirt moving around.

the final appearance is not final either, but that is a matter of cladding etc.

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archive...9/360_state.php

I guess construction started about a month ago.

what a great project during these economic times. it is 100% funded by a union pension fund, so nothing will stop this project. Kudos New Haven!

I would like to see the final design of the tower, and I do hope that they do the right thin and make the street level friendlier for pedestrians and add a cross walk to the train station, but this is more the cities job not the developers

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/commen...0,1846849.story

and an interesting editorial.

say what you will it is a city changing project.

Big blue construction fence in place, and lots of dirt moving around.

the final appearance is not final either, but that is a matter of cladding etc.

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archive...9/360_state.php

I guess construction started about a month ago.

what a great project during these economic times. it is 100% funded by a union pension fund, so nothing will stop this project. Kudos New Haven!

I would like to see the final design of the tower, and I do hope that they do the right thin and make the street level friendlier for pedestrians and add a cross walk to the train station, but this is more the cities job not the developers

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/commen...0,1846849.story

and an interesting editorial.

say what you will it is a city changing project.

The guy who wrote that really doesn't like towers very much. The fact is that in a small area like DT New Haven, it's great to save all of the space you can and increase density. That is why tall towers are great residential developements. This is obviously a good project for New Haven.

• 4 weeks later...

I tell you this is the project Hartford needs over on Allyn Street.

a grocery store comes with a 500 unit residential tower. Hartford needs more scale, and New Haven has it. this may in some ways take away fron New Havens charm, but what a progression this city is going through.

We will see if the grocery store develops or not. Like Hartford 21, no commitment has been made. I will say this project benefits from being so close to the train station but we will see how well received it is when completed. $1,500 to $6,000 per month for an apartment is high for New Haven. I hope it works out well though. Jay

• 1 month later...

Hartford Courant

Courant.com

Rules May Bar Green Building Power Plan

Tom Condon

December 21, 2008

If fuel cells are going to be the energy technology of the future, the state may have to jettison the regulatory mindset of the past. State energy regulators may stop the largest residential construction project in the state from using a Connecticut-made fuel cell to power the building.

The project in question is 360 State St., a 32-story, 500-unit apartment building under construction across from the State Street train station in New Haven. The building will contain retail space, including a fitness center and a grocery, and enclosed parking for 500 cars. At nearly 700,000 square feet, it may be the largest single residential building ever built in the state. Developer Bruce Becker also planned to make it the greenest.

Becker has included 20 energy-saving technologies

• 2 weeks later...

Hartford Courant

Courant.com

FIVE QUESTIONS: BRUCE BECKER

New Haven Economy Gives Builder Of 360 State Street Apartment Tower Confidence

By DAVID HOLAHAN

Special To The Courant

January 16, 2009

Bruce Becker, president of Becker & Becker of Fairfield, is undertaking his firm's most ambitious development project in Connecticut

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...