Carter711

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Amazing, they are arted to exceed what they expected themselves. New Haven is on a roll.

http://downtownnewhaven.blogspot.com/2008/04/500-unit-shartenberg-mixed-use.html

Larger-than-Expected Grocery Store for 360 State Tower (Posted 10/21/09): At a meeting of the Downtown-Wooster Square Community Management Team last night, 360 State Street developer Bruce Becker gave an update on plans for the 32-story tower. The structure of the tower (shown at left) is already up to about 23 floors, and its major impact on the New Haven skyline can already be felt from virtually anywhere within the Downtown or its surrounding neighborhoods.

The most exciting announcement was that, after trying to negotiate with Trader Joes for a 14,000 foot neighborhood grocery store, Becker & Becker is instead on the verge of signing a lease with a much-larger, 140-employee, 30,000 SF grocer -- a fact which has necessitated a complete redesign of the basement and first floor of the building.

Hartford Courant

Courant.com

Rules May Bar Green Building Power Plan

Tom Condon

December 21, 2008

If fuel cells are going to be the energy technology of the future, the state may have to jettison the regulatory mindset of the past. State energy regulators may stop the largest residential construction project in the state from using a Connecticut-made fuel cell to power the building.

The project in question is 360 State St., a 32-story, 500-unit apartment building under construction across from the State Street train station in New Haven. The building will contain retail space, including a fitness center and a grocery, and enclosed parking for 500 cars. At nearly 700,000 square feet, it may be the largest single residential building ever built in the state. Developer Bruce Becker also planned to make it the greenest.

Becker has included 20 energy-saving technologies � a green roof, double-glazed windows and other features � and hopes to power the building with a 400-kilowatt fuel cell made by UTC Power of South Windsor. He said if it all comes together, the skyscraper will be the first residential building in Connecticut to achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.

The tricky part is the fuel cell. The project received a $900,000 grant from the Connecticut Clean Energy Fund to help pay for the power-generating device. The grant would cover slightly more than half the cost. To pay for the rest, and to maintain the fuel cell, Becker proposed a plan he used for a similarly sized building called "The Octagon" he built four years ago on Roosevelt Island in New York City.

Basically, he wants to generate electricity for the building from the fuel cell, and charge the tenants what they would pay if they were getting the juice from United Illuminating, the local utility.

The building would still have a relationship with UI, to whom it would sell excess generation or buy power if it was needed for summer peak periods. Becker, as landlord, would have one "master meter" for UI. He would install "sub meters" for all the tenants.

This seemingly sensible idea needed approval from the state Department of Public Utility Control. It went before a hearing in September. On Dec.11, the DPUC issued a draft decision turning down the proposal.

Master metering, as this arrangement is sometimes called, has been historically unpopular with regulators. Traditionally, landlords have simply split the cost of electricity in a building among the tenants. Thus, individual tenants were not rewarded for conserving electricity, so tended to use and pay more for power.

But Becker said new technology allows each tenant to be accurately billed for only the power that is used, and for a disinterested third party to monitor the billing. This, he said, is what is done in New York.

Amazing, they are arted to exceed what they expected themselves. New Haven is on a roll.

http://downtownnewha...-mixed-use.html

I hate to be negative, but I see several problems with this building. One, it seems not to reach anywhere near the Chapel Street sidewalk. Second, it always infuriates me when I read a development tauting itself as "green" yet incorporating parking. in this case for 500 cars! This despite being across the street from the train station. Mind boggling. And the parking is not even underground.

Well, really you are totally right, its seems like the kind of project that packs everything it can inside a box, and does not really make a big effort to better the community outside of adding the housing element.

the 500 spaces are actually kind of a mixed blessing. for 500 apartments, I think most cities like New Haven require 750 spaces. I am sure hartford would... But since its right next to the train station, I bet a bunch of those spaces will be used by commuters, or people using amtrak. What are ya gonna do.

at least its downtown and next to mass transit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

http://www.conntact.com/real-estate/10713-game-changer.html

so, I found this article about how 360 main street is changing the entire area around state street.

very good read, tons of info, and well makes me extremely jealous to be quite honest.

here is a very interesting bit at the very end of the article. Aparently there may even be new development because of the success of this building.

Nicotra, who was a major player in reviving Temple Street into a retail mecca several years ago, may be among those making improvements.

“We own land on State Street near the corner of Chapel, a big vacant parking lot, and I’ve got my thinking cap on,” he says. “The best use certainly is not a parking lot, and it could be some sort of development, residential, office or mixed use, which seems to be what really works here.

“We’re monitoring the progress of the area,” Nicotra adds. “And our wheels are spinning.”